“The worst wedding food I've ever had, ever!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Spencer
Spencer Country Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Spencer
Reviewed 19 September 2010

I just got home from a wedding at the Spencer Country Inn, and I was horrified! Food doesn't need to be fancy, but for a wedding, the kitchen staff should pretend that they care AT ALL about the quality of what they put out for the guests. The rolls were packaged and cold. The salad was iceberg lettuce. The "roasted" potatoes were completely white, no brown roasting marks anywhere; in essence, they were boiled, and as bland as can be. The "seafood" casserole was by far the worst --- chopped imitation crab in a soupy flavorless broth. No shrimp, no scallops, no fish. It was disgusting. The prime rib was over cooked (unless you like really well-done), but completely flavorless! How do you make prime rib flavorless?!?!?!? The cookies were good.

With the exception of the bartender, the service was inept. Our water glasses, napkins and coffee cups were all removed before the wedding cake was even cut. We had to ask for new napkins and coffee cups.

If this is what they think works in today's wedding market, they are sadly mistaken. They should be embarrassed. If it were my place, I would refund the full cost of the food. Unbelievable.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank wrKn88
Innkeeper500, Manager at Spencer Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2010

We are sorry to read a review that was posted by a guest that was not aware of the menu selected by the Bride and Groom (who were pleased by the Reception and the Buffet). The rolls were not served cold, they are always fresh from Calise Bakery - never frozen or refrigerated. The potatoes were in fact served as ordered - Boiled Red Potatoes - so there should not have been a roasting marks. The salad was served as ordered as a Tossed Salad with Ice Berg Lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, onions. The Seafood Newburg was chosen on the Buffet (NOT Casserole) which is a creamy sauce with Lobster, Shrimp, etc. Finally the Prime Rib was served Medium Well as ordered. Finally, our staff was told that there would be no cake to be cut (there was supposed to be Cupcakes brought by the Bride and Groom with their own plates). It was a lovely wedding reception with a lovely Bride and Groom.

Reviewed 10 December 2009

I can not say enough about how amazing Phyllis and her assistant Louise were in my wedding planning process. I was married in September 2009 off-site and we had our reception at the Spencer Country Inn. If I could relive that day a million times I would! The service was wonderful, the food was delicious and Phyllis and her staff met all of my requests (and more) with a smile. As a bride and groom it is impossible to find an affordable place to cater to your guests, but the Spencer Country Inn not only does not charge you to hold your event there, but the prices for the food are out of this world. As a bride looking to feed 220 guests, this was a FANTASTIC site to choose!

As the bride and groom you get to stay free at the Inn that night in one of the quaint, vintage, New Enland rooms. The rooms are limited, but we filled the place up. If you get married on a Saturday, the Sunday brunch is half off for your guests who stayed the night and you and your groom eat free. (Regular price is $10.99)...can not beat it! And it was so delicious!! Highly recommend!!!!

If you are looking for the Ritz, do not go to Spencer. If you are looking for quaint, New England charm, stay in the main building:)

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
4  Thank mlafleur
Reviewed 7 June 2009

We just stayed in the guest house for a wedding. Truthfully one of the worst hotels I have "paid" for.

TV was a 13 inch black-n-white with rabbit ears. A phonejack was falling out of the wall- complete with exposed wires hanging out. The lamp next to the bed did not work, the room stunk of mildew.... the list goes on and on....

Again, this was staying at the GUEST house- I do not know what the rooms are like in the actual inn.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank RBJ03
Also consider these accommodations in or near Spencer
Hampton Inn & Suites Worcester
Fairfield Inn & Suites Worcester Auburn
Quality Inn & Suites Worcester
Holiday Inn Express Worcester Downtown
Beechwood Hotel
Beechwood Hotel
#4 of 10 in Worcester
Hilton Garden Inn Worcester

Been to Spencer Country Inn? Share your experiences!