“Heavenly Delicious Dining”

Ranked #1 of 26 Restaurants in Spencer
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Went here with five friends on a Wednesday late afternoon about 5 PM. Was advised to make reservation which we did two or three days in advance. The drive to Spencer on Rt 9 took a while but it was worth it. It's located about ten miles from Exit 10 off Rt 290. I was warned the food was excellent but not until I read the menu did I realize I was in a true gourmet's paradise. Each night there is a special. On Wednesday the entree comes with an appetizer and dessert for $23.. Other night's the special varies but is somewhat less than served on Wednesdays. Every Wednesday the menu changes to six new entrees appetizers, and desserts. I had a tuna sushi served on toasted Italian flat bread for an appetizer and eggplant lasagna for the main course and cream brûlée for dessert. It was just heavenly. The place was BYOB. We had our great bottle of wine that we brought. I haven't had such great food in a long time. Excellent and gentle on wallet. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 26 January 2013

We have been to Five Loaves for lunch and dinner a few times over the past 6 months since we found this place in the town that I grew up in and it is a hidden gem. We have never been disappointed with any meal. We go out to eat a lot and generally critique each experience and we just love Five Loaves. We had hangar steak and coq au vin and the other couple that we brought with us for the first time had baked haddock and a pasta dish and we were very pleased with the taste and portions. Salads are super fresh. We had a raspberry tart and creme brulee for dessert. BYOB is a plus! Call ahead for a reservation on the weekends.

1  Thank highheelsrunning
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I can't say enough about the food at the Five Loaves Bakery Restaurant. Don't let the facade put you off. The exterior is unpretentious. The interior is spotless, with excellent service and the most wonderful food. Our server was Phillipe. He was very knowledgeable about every ingredient and attentive. The restaurant changes their menu weekly. They offer small plates (appetizers) and large plates (main course). There are perhaps 7 of each on the menu. Everything is cooked on site with fresh ingredients. They love it when you share plates (no extra charge). We had apple carrot ginger soup and cauliflower gratin as starters. Both were cooked to perfection and delicious. We shared Braised Short Rib of Beef which fell off the bone and was succulent and wonderful. The prices are very reasonable. Be aware this place is BYOB, so bring a bottle of wine and settle down for a wonderful culinary treat. I wish we lived closer. Make reservations, since everyone around loves Five Loaves as well!

Reviewed 13 October 2012

The food at this tiny restaurant/bakery is some of the best in the greater Worcester area and well priced for the high quality and servings. BYOB makes it an even greater value. They make their own stocks daily and use the freshest of ingredients. On Wednesdays, for only $20, you get an appetizer, entree and dessert. No exclusions on the menu!!!
Waiters are always pleasant and know how the chef prepared each of that evenings dishes. Not a common finding in many of today's restaurants. Instead of me detailing certain dishes, just go and try this gem out for yourself. I'm a staunch foodie, and have yet to be disappointed!!!

Reviewed 2 September 2012

Intrigued by the good reviews, my husband and I went to Five Loaves Bakery & Cafe for a Saturday evening dinner. What a wonderful surprise, tucked away on a side street in sleepy little Spencer, MA!!! Good thing we made reservations: the place was filled -- as one party left, another arrived... And no wonder! The service, the food, the presentation, all exceeded our hopes. For a first course, we both chose a chilled nectarine soup garnished with thyme creme fraiche. My entree was mac & cheese made with sweet corn and caramelized onion; my husband went for the risotto with roasted duck and kubota squash. The food could not have been better -- everything was freshly made and arrived at the table piping hot (except the soup!!!). Next time (I hope it will be soon!) we'll finish with dessert... this time, we had no room for another crumb, and left feeling pleasantly satisfied and still amazed to discover such a great restaurant so close to home.

1  Thank travelfrankly