“great clam chowder”

Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Stockbridge
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Cozy bistro in quaint, relaxed setting down a charming alley right off Main Street in Stockbridge next to the Red Lion Inn.
Reviewed 8 May 2014

we went in for lunch and the chowder was excellent as well as the sandwiches. Service was great. would return again.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Maybe it was an off day for this restaurant, as Once Upon a Table came highly recommended. Our server, although very pleasant, seemed uninterested in serving us, even though we were the only couple in the restaurant initially. For the price we paid for our meals, we were very disappointed. The pork dish I ordered was supposed to come with a 'demi glaze', but tasted more like beef gravy. I had to ask our server twice to check with the chef about what the sauce was on my pork. The approximate 4 tablespoons of mashed potato tasted as boring as mine; I honestly expected something more 'exotic' such as garlic mashed or gorganzola (or something of the like). My dish also came with 3 small pieces of boiled broccoli to go with the 5 small slices of pork. My husband ordered the crab cakes (2), which came with broccoli and french fries. Again, not a lot of food for the price. We ended up ordering dessert to help fill us up...another disappointment. I ordered the creme broule, which tasted like the stuff I make out of a package. My husband ordered the cheesecake, which was dry. I'd be curious to see if another couple (also staying at the same inn as we did) writes a review, as they had the same issues we did with this restaurant. Our innkeepers were surprised with both our comments about Once Upon a Table; so, as I initially wrote, maybe this was an off day for them.

Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

My wife and I were on our way to a time-share presentation when we decided to stop for something to eat. Just off Main Street, tucked a away behind The Red Lion Hotel was a very quaint cafe called "Once Upon A Table". There were comfortable tables and chairs on the inside as well as on the outside patio area. The menu was limited but offered something for every taste. The service was fast and the staff ever so friendly. This place is an excellent example of the hidden jewels that can be found within Stockbridge off the beaten path.

1  Thank PeterWJr46
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Even though there are more cons listed here than pros, I like this restaurant and will visit it again when I am in the area.

Pros:
The service was friendly and good.
My pork tenderloin from the "specials" menu was very good.
My children really liked the beef tenderloin.
My children really liked the flourless chocolate cake.

Cons:
I wanted a cup of soup, but they had run out.
Their online menu was out of date. My wife was looking forward to the prosciutto brie- and basil chicken, but it was not on the menu in the restaurant. The chicken she ordered was OK but not great. The serving size of the flourless chocolate cake was quite small.
The pasta (penne?) and cheese (three cheeses) with bacon on the specials menu was mediocre. It was more like a cream sauce and needed a potent cheese like gruyere for additional flavor.

1  Thank Charles L
Reviewed 17 April 2014

went here for lunch. i am sooo glad we did! i had the smoked salmon-tasted like it was just caught. also had the salmon burger-delicious!!!! the place is small and cute. the man who served us was really nice. i would like to go back some day and try the dinner menu.