“A Step Back in Time”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stockbridge
Dallas, Texas
“A Step Back in Time”
Reviewed 10 February 2013

I spent a great night at the Red Lion back in December. A memorial brought me and my mother back east and we thought one night of fun would be a good way to take the edge off. I will say Red Lion and Stockbridge are lovely and really, really old (I mean old fashioned AND many old people). We booked an all-inclusive package for about $400.00, which was well worth the money. It included a double room, a bottle of wine and cheese in the room, full dinner and full breakfast.

Arrival was smooth and the public areas of the hotel were very charming and clean. I must say my one complaint of the public spaces was that the floors are not level and it's easy to trip on upper floors in the dim light of the hallways. The room itself was quaint but showed it's age- the wallpaper was peeling, plaster was cracked, the bathroom freezing cold and the carpet was ancient. Aside from those items, I enjoyed the room. The beds took me by surprise. I was not expecting a plush mattress with top-quality linens- it was worthy of a five-star hotel. I slept great.

Both our meals were fantastic. At dinner my appetizer, steak and sides were to die for and the bartenders really know what they are doing when mixing things up. I didn't think we could get great mixology in a small town and I was dead wrong. The best part of the night was going out to the Jacuzzi after a couple drinks in the freezing cold winter air. Breakfast was great, I had eggs Benedict, great coffee and fresh OJ. The waiter during breakfast cracked me up and would ask every table if they took their coffee "Black as a witches soul!"

This is a special place, especially for a road trip through the gorgeous small towns of MA.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 February 2013

This is Norman Rockwell's stomping ground for decades. The Inn is classic New England style and age - lots of wood work; large; aging everywhere you look. The place is living on the edge.
Everything is a bit pricy, because it can be. The Lion's Head Bar in the basement has a local vodka, Glen Ice, which is quite good, and their shrimp cocktail was very good - I know how can one wreck a shrimp cocktail, but this one seemed special.TWe visited in Feb. and clearly this is a summer spot and a great location for what's going on in Stockbridge, but when we come back (we live in the Boston area) I'd rather be in Lenox, MA.
PS: The Rockwell Museum is very worth while. See the movie first.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 30 January 2013

My husband and I stayed here in the beginning of January. Although I was told this is their "off" season it was well occupied. It has a very welcoming atmosphere. If you like the quaint village feel and like you stepping back in time, you'll love it!

The room we had was fantastic. The bed was very comfortable with bleach white fluffs of sheets and comforter. Loved it. There were a lot of pillows too. We usually have to get extra pillows at different hotels (never enough, haha). Again I will say CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. To me this is most important.

We did not eat in the main dining room, but the menu sounded good. Very limited. We had a drink downstairs in the Lion's Den. Loved the ambiance. The menu was very disappointing. Really didn't have anything on it except for a few sandwiches and soups. I had the roastbeef sandwich, it came with chips and a bit of dressed lettuce. It was okay, nothing to write home about except for the price!!!! $12.00. Granted it was organic - but really?

Other than that, it was a nice experience.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 January 2013

the red lion inn is a lovely place to stay. obviously quite old, but beautiful and elegant. yes, the floors creak and are a bit uneven, and if you're looking for a big flat screen television, this is not the place for you. but if you enjoy old world charm, a friendly warm place, good food, fireplaces and rocking chairs, a visit to the red lion inn will definitely satisfy you. be sure to wander the halls and various rooms and view the artwork - sooo intersting.

there are 3 restaurants - a traditional one, a tavern and a pub. the pub has a $10 special dinner every night (we had a delicious turkey dinner on sunday night) with irish music to boot. very fun. for a casual breakfast, try the popular local favorite, the elm street market - about a 5 minute walk from the inn. note: they don't just serve breakfast, they serve food throughout the day.

there's also a bakery across the street from the inn that has delicious baguettes, etc. we bought bread there and some cold cuts at the elm street market and made sandwiches for our trip home.

the norman rockwell museum is about a 10 minute drive. there's a $16 admission fee (maybe a bit steep), but it was worth the visit. the film that runs continuously downstairs is the best way to start. we were there for about 1.5 hours.

Room Tip: i think it's fun to stay in the original building - some people prefer the newer small buildings...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
BruceRLI, General Manager at The Red Lion Inn, responded to this review, 7 February 2013
Thanks so much for staying with us and for taking the time to post a review! Yes, our floors are creaky and we have our fair share of wobbly doorknobs, but that what we love about being 240(ish) years old. Glad you do too. We're actually starting a program to put flat screen TV's in all the rooms, we're about 30% done now. (The times have caught up with us). We do have large flat screen, smart TV's in our new Maple Glen house, complete with iPod docks, Blu-Ray players, and Keurig coffee makers so we're getting there! Thanks again!
Voorhees, New Jersey
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Clean rooms, friendly staff and best meals you can get. Hotel is quaint and very beautiful. Rooms are Victorian and homey. Ate all meals in the beautiful and warm dining room. Everything they make is absolutely delicious! Will be returning.

• Stayed January 2013
Reviewed 23 January 2013

This is a beautiful antique inn located in a lovely town in the Berkshires. There is lots of antique furniture and it is easy to imagine how life was in years gone by in this pretty little town. The food here is excellent and the staff well trained and friendly. The location is perfect for wandering around town and visiting the many small shops. I would go back anytime!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mainah3
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Let me begin by saying that the Red Lion has been on my places to visit in New England for the past several years now given the glowing reviews, history, and overall charm. So when my husband surprised me with a quick getaway a few weeks back I was elated. When we first arrived at the inn we were both slightly taken back a bit at the outward appearance of the inn and famous front porch looking a bit more rundown than expected. But this was the Red Lion Inn I told myself and it was in the middle of January so surely our initial perception was a bit off. The dimly lit lobby was in fact charming and filled with other travelers simply relaxing, enjoying some cocktails and the fireplace- now this was more like it, exactly what we hoped for. After checking in we made our way to our "Superior room" on the first floor which was anything but. Let me say that we are all for old historic inns that are unique and even a bit quirky- and have learned to appreciate a cozy inn room that doesn't resemble a Marriott or contain even half of the modern "hotel conveniences" but we couldn't have been more disappointed with our room at the Red Lion Inn. Sure, the decor was a bit "flowery" for my taste and the furnishings were not only old but way too large for the room, but what was most upsetting was the cleanliness. The chair covers were filthy, the carpet looked dingy and small stains speckled the duvet cover- I was never so happy to have brought my slippers and even my pillow to an inn before in my life. The bathroom was the next disappointment with little to no room to turn around in and a folded over bathmat on the floor because they couldn't find one that would fit. Let’s just say I was already dreading my shower the following morning. Well, a room is a room so we figured we would suck it up and make the most of our stay...or so we thought. Despite having dinner reservations at the main restaurant we decided to check out the famous Lion’s Den pub downstairs to see if we would prefer having dinner down there- nope. This was a far cry from a unique historic pub and more like the basement of a club- we figured we'd better stick with our original dinner plans. Dinner was the most disappointing part of our entire experience at the Red Lion Inn. At fine dining prices you would at least expect timing to be spot on and a decent meal but this was anything but. After ordering our meals we received our bread and within 5 minutes (yes, we checked the clock) our meals were placed in front of us. There is absolutely no way our meals were cooked for us- it was physically not possible- I had the pork, my husband had the prime rib. On top of the horrible dining experience the dining room was extremely dirty. Old is one thing, but filthy ceiling, walls, carpet and window sills are another. We are a young couple that are not use to the finer things in life so I can't even imagine what some of the inn guests would have thought. Our fabulous night continued on with our bathroom toilet backing up- twice, a staff member offering turndown service (when I would have preferred a good room clean) and finding leftover glasses of wine in one of the inn's "library rooms" that had been sitting there since we checked in. At this point, as we were waiting for our toilet to be unclogged at 10:30pm we had had enough and went to front desk to let them know about what we were experiencing. If there is anything I have learned from Tripadvisor, if you don't make others aware about issues you are experiencing at that moment- waiting to write a review when you return doesn't help anyone let alone changes your experience. The front desk was extremely apologetic and offered to make things right but with the countless issues we had, the late hour, we had decided it was best if we just headed home. Neither one of us had any interest in waking up at the Red Lion Inn the following morning. Since returning home I will say that management has reached out and we have voiced our concerns but overall we had an extremely disappointing experience at the Red Lion Inn. We only hope your experience will be better.

2 Thank NewburyportJessica
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockbridge
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Hotel on North
Hotel on North
#1 of 8 in Pittsfield
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Great Barrington/Berkshires
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Gre...
#2 of 10 in Great Barrington
Yankee Inn
Yankee Inn
#6 of 16 in Lenox

Been to The Red Lion Inn? Share your experiences!