The Red Lion Inn
US$59
Good 3.5/5
Briarcliff Motel(Great Barrington)(Great Value!)
US$101
Excellent 5/5
US$60
US$47
1,108 results
All reviewsthe main dining roomfront porchnew englandnorman rockwellhistoric hotelmaple glenrocking chairsturkey dinnercountry curtainsprime ribpeople watchingbirdcage elevatormain streetstep back in timethe main hotelantique furnituretwin beds
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Our group of five couples spent a fall weekend at the 9-bedroom Stevens House, one of the "guest house" properties that is part of the Red Lion Inn (about a 3-minute walk from the main building of the Inn, on a quiet side street, with ample parking behind the house). We had had great accommodations there several years ago and are glad we have returned. The accommodations this visit did not disappoint. True to a well-kept old inn, the rooms are comfortable and filled with antiques and period pieces. The main attraction for our group is the common room, with a large trestle table that easily seats 12, a fireplace, huge TV, comfy leather chairs, and a small but very nice kitchen (stocked with dishes, glasses, cookware, gas stove, dishwasher, icemaker, etc). It was a great place to hang out together. Dinner at the restaurant inside the Inn was perfect.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank travalgal18
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Room was smaller than I thought a delux queen would be. Only Had one arm chair other than the desk chair. View was onto the parking lot. Seemed rather dingy.
Was not impressed during this stay.
Median age....old!
And you can't get near the lobby fireplace.
But simon did like me.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank mike1648
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Stockbridge is a lovely village in the Berkshires. The hotel is huge and set on a large corner site. We managed to get parked in the hotel car park and made our way to reception. Once checked in we were told to go through the Tavern where people were eating, pass the dining room on your right, go past the safe, walk past the curtain shop, turn right, then left and you will reach your room. Fortunately the room was near the back door which was relatively near to where we"d parked. We weren't offered any help with our luggage or in finding our room. Once in our room we found it to be comfortable but noticed how much the floorboards creaked. The lounge was smoky because of the big open fire and the lighting was dim. We never did manage to get a seat on the rocking chairs on the
porch! Although I seem to have stressed negative points about the hotel the location made up for a lot. We really enjoyed the restaurant 'Once upon a Table' round the corner from the hotel and the quaint gift shops as well as the Norman Rockwell Museum.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2013

On a three week trip through eastern USA we met up with friends in Marblehead who wished to show us the "Berkshires", (Yes I will teach them how to pronounce it properly!). We were lucky with parking right outside and in we went. From the exterior and the interior it was all I imagined it could be. My wife and I were utterly delighted, great staff on the desk who, whilst extremely busy, still had the skill, charm and professionalism to get it right and make you feel valued. Up one flight of stairs to a superb room, delightfully decorated, well lit, plenty of chairs and a desk. Above all, twin beds of the most comfortable nature with first class linen.

After unpacking into the commodious facilities we ventured forth to the bar, sadly I had misunderstood that the bar to which my friends referred was in the hotel itself adjacent to the restaurant, I went downstairs to a really great "pub" and refreshed myself. We all eventually met up and entered the Dining Room, very grand with lively and attentive staff. A broad menu awaited and we were all well provided including our vegetarian friend who found plenty. I guess some might find it a bit old fashioned (stuffy) but we liked it and the standards were entirely appropriate to such a hotel with such a long pedigree.

After a super meal it was back to the bar for a snifter and a great night's sleep on that wonderful bed. Next morning we had to do a bit of car shifting because of road works outside which served only to remind me that I had not made full use of the external veranda on the front, complete with rocking chairs. A good breakfast, served by the most jovial of staff, sent us off to Norman Rockwell with a fund of great memories.

I have read some of the comments and they are personal to the writers, all I would add is that this is an old building and bears all the hallmarks of its age, construction and design. The lift (elevator) looks like it came out of Poirot, but it goes up and down. Floors will creek, the water takes a little time to run hot, so what? Is thirty seconds (outside!) so life shattering? This is an exquisite piece of New England's history! Savour and enjoy it and don't ever think of changing it.

And now my gripe. Only one but concerning. I was in the "Chair" for dinner and after everyone had selected their early courses I selected a bottle of wine for the first course with a view to a further, most likely red, later. By the end of the first course this had not arrived. Enquiries revealed that we were "out". The worst thing about this was a young waitress (server) was saddled with the task of telling us, whilst the Maître d'hôtel hung well back. Further discussion took place and a second choice was made only to be told five minutes later that we were "out" of this one as well!, insisting on talking to the head honcho I was informed that this was because the Sommelier was on holiday. I was embarrassed for the young waitress and annoyed that a senior member of the team would hang her out to dry in this manner. As you may imagine words were shared discreetly the following morning, not only for an unprofessional attitude but for throwing a cloud on an otherwise memorable stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank OwdRoger
Reviewed 28 October 2013

The history of Stockbridge is so interesting, and a visit to this Inn is a must. We plan to stay here the next time we are in this area. From the moment you enter the doors, you feel as if you've stepped back in time. The floor boards creek, the drinks around the fire are so comforting, the food is fabulous, and the staff working here is so friendly, we loved the time spent in this Inn.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple