The Red Lion Inn
US$62
US$55
EconoLodge
Briarcliff Motel(Great Barrington)(Great Value!)
US$101
US$50
US$47
Priceline
1,108 results
All reviewsthe main dining roomfront porchnew englandnorman rockwellhistoric hotelmaple glenrocking chairsturkey dinnercountry curtainsprime ribpeople watchingbirdcage elevatormain streetstep back in timethe main hotelantique furnituretwin beds
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 August 2014

While our overall experience was average, I personally enjoyed the chick pea & quinoa patty with a side salad. The patty was served over a plate of mixed greens with no bun which was a nice change from the typical 'garden burger' option on most menus. While one of my companions thoroughly enjoyed the curry chicken soup, another was disappointed with the chopped salad (hold the bacon); he felt the salad was 'watery'. The outdoor seating is a pleasant space to enjoy a leasuirely lunch. However, it's almost creepy the way the wait staff watches over the patio from their widows' peak porch.

Room Tip: We were only there for lunch.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 August 2014

After arriving at the Inn I placed a reservation for lunch at the tavern. I had requested a window table at 1pm . I was jockeyed back and forth by a bus boy to the front dining room podium which I busied myself tracking down staff. It was noon. At 1 pm we showed up at the tavern entrance stating reservation for Riccio for 1pm with a window table. I was then jockeyed back to the podium where the hostess attempted to seat us only to find the window table was taken. I then chose another table and was poured water (no ice) and given a menu. No server approached the table for some time and there we were sitting of course now approx. 1:10 and hungry. We decided to leave but not without approaching the podium to express my concerns. I felt like I was working too hard to dare to ask for appropriate service. I was politely told by a manger he was "sorry" and if I wanted to wait I could then have the window table I originally requested after waiting for the others to finish their lunch. I also intended to purchase curtains while there and utilized the back entrance and then the hallway where many wait staff were busy running around like chickens without heads and clearly not appropriately trained. The look of stress and discontentment was visible in their faces and by the comments I had overheard while walking through the hallways. You would think an Inn that prides themselves on their tried and true accommodation's would have more management or captain overseeing the wait staff. I enjoyed a lovely second honeymoon at The Red Lion Inn several years ago staying 4 days. I must say the service has gone down hill and will never eat there again. I later sat on the porch my companion ordering a drink and myself a delicious BloodyMary however waited 25 minutes for a ten year old waiter to return with my debit card. Never returning to see if another drink was in order and never picking up the obviously empty glasses. Service overall terrible.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Kathleen R
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Feels like you have gone back in time but still has updated amenities. Filled with antiques, creaky wood floors and a great front porch with rocking chairs. Free wi-fi, cable tv and a fitness room. Our room was in the main building on the 3rd floor over looking the outdoor pool and quite spacious with a comfortable king size bed. .I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Main building close to dining and pub
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This place is more like a Landmark, an icon. It's a destination and they know it. The rooms are old fashion chic and charming. Some of them face the backyard and can be a little noisy. There is a restaurant in the lobby and an outdoor area with a good menu for lunch. Very conveniently located
is great for summer and winter visits. If you are lucky you meet the "lobby ambassador" Gato, the cat.

Room Tip: Try and avoid the rooms over the kitchen that runs 3 restaurant and is quite busy.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2014

There is no denying the charm of this 18th century inn: the seductive Great Porch, which begs you to sit an have an afternoon cocktail, or the antique touches that abound in many of there on/off-site properties. Although we didn't eat in any of their four restaurants (difficult to not to do in that there are few restaurants in the area), the RLI does a nice job in offering Keurig machines in many of their newer properties, as well as well-stocked refrigerators for muchies -- careful, though, those charges will add up. It must be said that the staff is world-class and everyone we ran into was friendly and accommodating. I will agree with many of the reviews on TA that the Inn needs to update its linens, towels and beds. Threadbare towels are inexcusable in a place of this reputation. As much as I really "like" this place, there is no doubt that they are taking advantage of the dearth of hotel rooms in The Berkshires during summertime by charging in-city prices for their rooms. Again, you're paying for the 250-year old charm of the place, which is saying something.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple