“Great to Be Back...”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stockbridge
Stonington, Connecticut
“Great to Be Back...”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

My wife and I enjoy staying at old Inns and Hotels and that's why we've made it a habit to visit The Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge at least once a year. Its close proximity to Tanglewood, the summer venue for the Boston Symphony Orchestra (BSO), makes for a great getaway opportunity. Along with the BSO, we've also enjoyed seeing James Taylor, Crosby Stills and Nash and most recently The Beach Boys. The Inn does a wonderful job and their staff is wonderful. They really understand the meaning of service. Having said that, we were a title disappointed when we sat on the patio for lunch and our waiter immediately made us feel rushed because he was so busy. We were sorry he was responsible for 10 tables but we were in no hurry and why would he make that our problem? The real shocker was when another staff member walked by and my wife wanted to ask him for some Splenda. Before she got the request out she was told, "I'm very busy." Really? I have always felt that you can judge the worth of a company based on the response you get from the first person you go to with a problem. So when my wife kindly spoke to the manager, we knew it would be dealt with. By the way, lunch was absolutely superb. Wonderful chowder and a better Lamb patty that was cooked to perfection. I should also thank the bartender that was kind enough to get us piece of their wonderful apple pie after we returned from the concert. The bar was closed but she didn't let her "systems make her stupid." Well done.

Room Tip: All the rooms are fine but you have to remember that this is an old hotel so modern amenities have t...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank repeiii72

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Fort Worth, TX
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Before our recent trip to New England, I went back and forth on whether to make reservations at the Red Lion Inn or whether to stay in a recent vintage chain hotel. Having stayed in old inns and B&Bs before, I was well aware of the potential cons - lumpy beds, tiny baths, etc. But in the end, I decided to go with character and history and booked our family a room at the inn. Man, did I make the right decision. Yes, the bathroom was small, but it had a small vase with hand-cut flowers and a cool soaking tub. And the beds weren't lumpy at all. And the big, deep front porch was an awesome hang-out in for enjoying a glass of wine or a cocktail in the evening. And the lobby was charming. And the art and memorabilia on the walls throughout the inn was fascinating. And the game of chess I played with my son in a back hallway of the rambling inn was fun. And dinner in the tavern was like stepping back in time a couple of hundred years - but with better food. And the late-night dip in the courtyard pool and hot tub was refreshing. And breakfast in the formal dining room was delightful. And the staff was friendly and helpful throughout our stay. Do you know any chain hotels where you can get all of that?

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank YorkieFW
Somerset, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The Red Lion Inn is a very quaint inn it dates back to the Norman Rockwell days and earlier,
The main building has many antiques on all 3 floors of the inn, rooms are spacious and very clean, some have private baths and others have shared baths I prefer private.
the staff are very friendly and helpful, I have been coming to the Inn for about 10 years both summer and winter, and will continue for years to come.

Room Tip: choose a room with private bath,3 rd. floor is quieter. that is my choice.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank barbara d
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 18 August 2014

While our overall experience was average, I personally enjoyed the chick pea & quinoa patty with a side salad. The patty was served over a plate of mixed greens with no bun which was a nice change from the typical 'garden burger' option on most menus. While one of my companions thoroughly enjoyed the curry chicken soup, another was disappointed with the chopped salad (hold the bacon); he felt the salad was 'watery'. The outdoor seating is a pleasant space to enjoy a leasuirely lunch. However, it's almost creepy the way the wait staff watches over the patio from their widows' peak porch.

Room Tip: We were only there for lunch.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Waterbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 11 August 2014

After arriving at the Inn I placed a reservation for lunch at the tavern. I had requested a window table at 1pm . I was jockeyed back and forth by a bus boy to the front dining room podium which I busied myself tracking down staff. It was noon. At 1 pm we showed up at the tavern entrance stating reservation for Riccio for 1pm with a window table. I was then jockeyed back to the podium where the hostess attempted to seat us only to find the window table was taken. I then chose another table and was poured water (no ice) and given a menu. No server approached the table for some time and there we were sitting of course now approx. 1:10 and hungry. We decided to leave but not without approaching the podium to express my concerns. I felt like I was working too hard to dare to ask for appropriate service. I was politely told by a manger he was "sorry" and if I wanted to wait I could then have the window table I originally requested after waiting for the others to finish their lunch. I also intended to purchase curtains while there and utilized the back entrance and then the hallway where many wait staff were busy running around like chickens without heads and clearly not appropriately trained. The look of stress and discontentment was visible in their faces and by the comments I had overheard while walking through the hallways. You would think an Inn that prides themselves on their tried and true accommodation's would have more management or captain overseeing the wait staff. I enjoyed a lovely second honeymoon at The Red Lion Inn several years ago staying 4 days. I must say the service has gone down hill and will never eat there again. I later sat on the porch my companion ordering a drink and myself a delicious BloodyMary however waited 25 minutes for a ten year old waiter to return with my debit card. Never returning to see if another drink was in order and never picking up the obviously empty glasses. Service overall terrible.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kathleen R
Burlington, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Feels like you have gone back in time but still has updated amenities. Filled with antiques, creaky wood floors and a great front porch with rocking chairs. Free wi-fi, cable tv and a fitness room. Our room was in the main building on the 3rd floor over looking the outdoor pool and quite spacious with a comfortable king size bed. .I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Main building close to dining and pub
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This place is more like a Landmark, an icon. It's a destination and they know it. The rooms are old fashion chic and charming. Some of them face the backyard and can be a little noisy. There is a restaurant in the lobby and an outdoor area with a good menu for lunch. Very conveniently located
is great for summer and winter visits. If you are lucky you meet the "lobby ambassador" Gato, the cat.

Room Tip: Try and avoid the rooms over the kitchen that runs 3 restaurant and is quite busy.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockbridge
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Hotel on North
Hotel on North
#1 of 8 in Pittsfield
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Great Barrington/Berkshires
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Gre...
#2 of 10 in Great Barrington
Yankee Inn
Yankee Inn
#6 of 16 in Lenox

Been to The Red Lion Inn? Share your experiences!