“Find a reason to go to Stow and stay here!”
Review of Amerscot House Inn

Amerscot House Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Stow B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 August 2011

We were looking for somewhere to stay west of Boston, partly to look at historical sites but also so we could visit relatives, and up popped this highly rated Bed and Breakfast. It looked so good that we booked three nights there to start our three week holiday in New England/Canada before moving up to Vermont for a wedding. We have never been more reluctant to say good bye and move on than when our stay with Viki and Andy came to an all too soon end. Everything that recent reviewers have written is absolutely spot on. My only criticism is that it completely spoiled us for the rest of our trip - everywhere we went was heard our muttering "nice but not a patch on Amerscot". As well as being welcomed into this beautiful house and being provided with absolutely everything we might need to make our stay memorable, we also enjoyed the company of fellow guests. How wonderful to have been able to stay longer - unfortunately other commitments prevented this but we would love to think that we will re visit and pick up where we left off. This is a house for all seasons in an area rich in history and still close enough to Boston to enjoy all that this city has to offer so I can't recommend Amerscot Inn House strongly enough as a base for a sightseeing holiday or just as a peaceful, luxurious "far better than home from home" break for a few days.

Reviewed 20 August 2011

My husband and I love staying at B&Bs whenever we travel and have visited quite a few around the US. The Amerscot House Inn is without a doubt the best B&B we have ever experienced! Viki is a wonderful hostess and gourmet cook. Her sense of style has transformed this delightful historic inn into a perfect getaway. I would recommend staying here, whether you live just down the road or thousands of miles away, whenever you need to rest and feel pampered. We loved the Gibson Room, with its extra large bed, beautiful modern bathroom, and peaceful color palette. From the moment we walked up to the door, Viki made us feel welcome and comfortable. There was a screened-in porch, where my husband enjoyed watching the afternoon storm while drinking a complimentary beverage. The room was so spacious and thoughtfully designed that I regretted having to leave for dinner (as a side note, Gibbet Hill Restaurant in Groton is delicious and a perfect compliment to a stay at the Amerscot House).

Breakfast deserves to be described in further detail. There was a fresh fruit platter with delicious berries, melon, mango, and kiwi; yogurt parfait in individual glass containers; toast with European butter and jam; coffee, tea, and fresh-squeezed orange juice; the best Eggs Benedict and Eggs Florentine (wow!). And, right outside the window we were treated to a parade of beautiful birds visiting the bird feeders (my first time seeing a bright red cardinal).

Final notes: the prices are extremely reasonable, everything is clean and fresh (I am a little OCD about cleanliness, and I immediately felt comfortable walking around barefoot in our room), there were fresh flowers in our room, a DVD player and more channels than I have ever seen at a B&B or hotel, Gilchrist and Soames toiletries, oversized towels and fluffy robes. If you get a chance, stay at the Amerscot House! You will not find more refined hospitality or a more comfortable home anywhere.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Voux
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Should my husband and I ever find ourselves in Stow, Massachusetts, again, we would stay at this most excellent bed and breakfast. We simply can't say enough about our superb experience. We wholeheartedly agree with our fellow reviewers that the Amerscot House is the blueprint for the total bed and breakfast experience.

When we checked in and settled into our room, my husband announced, “THIS is a bread and breakfast.” It’s spotlessly clean, the free wifi access works like a charm, there are free wine and snacks available 24/7, there’s a Keurig coffeemaker to make a cup of coffee at any time, and the rooms feature flat-screen TVs—all situated in a beautifully restored historic 18th century inn with hard wood floors, beam ceilings, and four-poster beds with fluffy linen. And we're just getting to the spectacular breakfast spreads and the truly charming hosts, Viki and her husband Al.

When Frank and I ventured downstairs for breakfast, we were greeted by a spread of homemade banana bread (delicious!), various designer cheeses, homemade yogurt parfait, and 6-8 types of fruit. As there was only one other couple currently staying in the inn (and they didn’t breakfast when we did), we enjoyed a private breakfast. We sat on the enclosed patio and enjoyed our coffee as a group of wild turkeys paraded through the yard. Then Al took our hot breakfast order. I had scrambled eggs. Frank ordered an egg-white omelette with spinach and cheese. We practically floated from the breakfast table.

As if we needed anymore proof of what a first class establishment this is, when we returned home from our vacation, Viki called to say that my husband had left his hat in the room. She mailed it to us at her own expense.

Frankly, we're talking about returning to that part of the U.S. if only to experience the fabulous comfort and gracious host and hostess of the exceptional Amerscot House.

Reviewed 28 July 2011

I stayed in this charming inn last week as I visited along with my two companions literary Boston and New England. We found this inn quite by chance on the net and what a find! I phoned the inn keeper Viki prior to our arrival to enquire about availability and she was most approachable, accommodating and welcoming. The house is beautiful with attention to every detail. The rooms were top class and I have never slept in a more comfortable bed. The breakfast, cooked to order by Viki was out of this world. Snacks and drinks were generously provided throughout the day and directions to all the places of interest were available on cards meticulously prepared by Viki which she graciously allowed us to take out on our day trips with us. Lists of local restaurants were available to us together with menus which helped us to decide in advance our evening meal. Viki and Andy made us feel at home and I commend them both for their hard work, dedication and professionalism. I would love to stay here again

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Willix
Reviewed 14 July 2011

We truly enjoyed our stay at the Amerscot House Inn. It was a pleasure to enjoy the history and authenticity of the home, while appreciating modern comforts at the same time. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the bathroom was large and very nice.
We enjoyed meeting Viki and Andy and the breakfasts were wonderful. The snacks and drinks in the common room were a nice perk. We enjoyed sitting on the back porch and relaxing. There is so much to do in this area if you are inclined towards visiting historical or literary sites and while I truly wanted to see everything, it was very tempting just to stay at the Inn!

1  Thank english82
Reviewed 21 June 2011

If you were to put together a B&B in your own fantasy world, you would end up with Amerscot House. Seriously.

A great room, very comfortable huge bed, everything you could want in the room including cable tv and free wifi. Add to that a beautiful guests' lounge with complimentary soft drinks, wine and beer and, in the morning a fabulous breakfast.

Then, add in very friendly hosts in Vicky and Andy and it's very difficult to think of what else one could possibly want.

This is the best B&B we have ever stayed in. (One can excuse the creaking floor boards in an 18C house)

Would 100% recommend to anyone and would definitely stay here again if we are ever in the area.

All B&Bs should be like this. Good value too

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank LeicaUser
Reviewed 23 February 2011

We visited for a night during President's Day weekend. The inn is near Nashoba Valley Winery, which is a great place to visit any time of the year. Vicki and Andy are great hosts! They provide you with everything you need during your stay - turn by turn directions to local restaurants, snacks, drinks, chocolates in your room! Truly great stay!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow
Concord's Colonial Inn
The Boxboro Regency
#1 of 1 in Boxborough
Fairfield Inn Boston Sudbury
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Boston-Marlboro

Been to Amerscot House Inn? Share your experiences!