Amerscot House Inn
US$179
  • Restaurant
US$156
US$151
Courtyard Boston Marlborough(Marlborough)(Great Value!)
US$176
US$138
ExtendedStay
US$165
US$144
BestWestern.com
All reviewsnew englandbed and breakfastthought of everythingcomplimentary drinks and snacksinformation about local restaurantslinen sheetsentree choicesquaint charmbreakfasts were wonderfulsoaps and lotionscharming hostsfresh fruitmodern comfortscomfortable king size bedlovely historic homebeautiful place to staycommon areas
Reviewed 4 October 2013

My husband and I just recently spent two nights at the Amerscot House Inn. We had a wonderful stay and could not recommend this B&B more highly.

When we made our reservations, we requested a certain room, but since that room was unavailable we were given an upgraded room at the same price. We were greeted by the owners on our arrival and shown around the Inn, and we could not have been more impressed with their hospitality and the Inn itself. Our bedroom was lovely, furnished with everything one could want, including complimentary snacks and bottled waters. The bed was fantastic and the bathroom spa-like, and there were comfortable seating areas and magazines in the room- everything for one's comfort. There was a lovely sitting room for all guests with books and DVDs we could borrow, and more complimentary drinks and snacks.

The breakfasts in particular were absolutely outstanding! There was a selection of cold offerings and then a hot entree prepared to order, and we were allowed to mix-and-match among the various offerings. The owners were lovely and did everything they could to make us comfortable and happy and help us enjoy our stay in the Stow area. We could not have been more delighted with our relaxing and refreshing visit here and will certainly choose to stay here when we are in the Stow area again.

1  Thank Carol W
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Title: A bride's description…

We flew in from Europe to a home wedding cerebration in Stow where my husband grew up. The reason we chose this Inn was because it is near the church and we liked the yard for taking photos. Two months prior to the event we met with Vicky, the Inn keeper. At one point, we discussed using the Inn for a small wedding – and at that time - she seemed friendly and cordial. It was even agreed that we could have the wedding at her inn if it was a small party. She told us she had a smaller wedding there before so we assumed that the place is ok for a smaller party.

Later we decided to have a church ceremony and clearly communicated to her that we will use the Inn for getting ready and maybe a Chinese tea ceremony of a small group that will only last half an hour. We also mentioned that we would like to take a few photos in the yard. This was all agreed in advance. I do not see how we abused her kindness as she says. First of all, it is only me and my husband staying for one evening and then later my bridesmaid staying on the pre-wedding night. We had one photographer coming to meet us for coffee in the morning at 9 am. We did not have an early check in – but we checked in at 3pm. The room that was promised to us on the 1st floor was shifted to another room upstairs, which has an old and noisy staircase/floor. Yes, she did provide a roll away bed for my bridesmaid but no one was running around eating her food or drinks except me and my bridesmaid who is staying and we paid for double room. Yes, the only thing she did extend was a later check out at 2 pm providing we packed up everything before we left for the wedding so her staff can clean the room. I think any reasonable hotel would extend us this .. especially on a wedding day. What is the norm in many places, she sees as going out of her way.

On my wedding day, my make-up artist came earlier than expected - about half an hour earlier than what we agreed at 7 30am. I did not know this would happen. However, she screamed at me and my make-up artist at the top of her voice “I do not open door for anyone at 7 am!" You are not honest in your dealing with people!" I was shocked, I did not know how to respond. I apologized and tried to calm her down. If the guests got further disturbed, it was because of her voice and demeanor.

Then as my bridesmaid was getting ready - the Inn keeper asked her three times to move the car. My husband was not staying at the Inn so my bridesmaid was using the parking spot allowed for us - yet the inn keeper kept on sending messages for her to move her car. She complied everytime, but the Innkeeper seemed determine to disrupt us as we were trying to get ready. Again, we were shocked and my make-up artists said in her 20+ years of professional service, she has never seen anyone acting so rude towards a bridal party.

So in order to avoid confrontation, my brother who drove from NY had to stay in the parking lot. When my husband arrived for photos, he was initially told to leave by Viki’s husband! We only had 2 extra cars in the parking lot, which should not be a big deal. We cancelled the tea ceremony last minute. We had a few photos taken but it was under very stressful conditions and no longer enjoyable.

In conclusion, our first impression of Vicky was friendly, and how she later behaved was beyond my comprehension and it is also disturbing that she sees no wrong in her actions...you heard the story that people can act strange on weddings and I think this is the story here - everyone who witnessed her behavior cannot make sense and would agree that she was acting hostile and extremely unreasonable. In all of our travels and wonderful hotels we stayed, this is the most disturbing B&B. They like to advertise their use of local ingredients at breakfast but they do not treat locals well.

6  Thank MsCheng88
VikiCarter, Owner at Amerscot House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2013

Another deep breath. A tit-for-tat response is pointless, so just a few facts.

1. I never, ever, switch rooms without guests' agreement. When the original reservation was rescheduled to a later date, these guests were told their first choice room was not available for the new date. The suite was offered - they had viewed it on their visit - and confirmed. I have copies of the correspondence and the suite was the confirmed room in every written communication. Yes, the stairs creak; they were built in 1734. We would all creak a bit if we were nearly 400 years old!

2. We are not a hotel. We are a four room bed and breakfast. At this time of year every room is booked for every night so we have absolutely no 'jiggle' room and late check outs can be difficult. I try and accommodate requests, and did so on this occasion and my limitations were explained to the guests in writing and agreed to. I offered to let them use the room until 1.30pm on certain conditions. These conditions were not met. I got into the room at 2pm and was still cleaning and re-stocking the room when the next guests arrived for their 3pm check in. I did not put a limit on the late check out to be difficult, I did it because new guests are entitled to get into their room from check in time - and rooms take a considerable time to prepare.

3. We are not a hotel and we do not have 24 hour reception. The unexpected arrival of the hairdresser before 7am caught me just out of the shower and woke other guests. When I rushed to the front door in my robe to let her in she told me she had been instructed to arrive early. By the time I got to the front door, other guests in their robes were up and wondering if they should let her in. This was very unfortunate because guests are entitled not to be disturbed at that time of the morning. I would have been there waiting had I known she was coming early (I already planned on being there by 7.15 just in case) and frankly, either the bride or bridesmaid could have been there as she told me they knew she would be there early.

4. For a small bed and breakfast we do have quite spacious common areas and we love our guests to invite in their relatives or friends during the afternoon and evening. They almost always ask if it is okay in advance and usually limit it to just two or three additional people at the most. At breakfast, we set up tables in both the dining room and sitting room to give guests a choice of joining others or sitting at tables for two. This means that during that time there is really nowhere for non-residents to go. To have numerous wedding guests arrive with no warning during the breakfast service and occupy the spaces where guests were eating was a real nightmare- and very difficult for our resident guests.

5. A car belonging to this group was parked and left in the middle of the driveway, which meant that our guests could not leave and our staff could not get in for a considerable period of time. Without any prior notice or agreement, our premises were used as the assembly point for a large number of the wedding guests. The people and cars caused problems for us and our guests. I am sorry if the wedding guests did not feel welcomed - but they should know that we were not expecting them, their presence caused problems for the guests who were staying here and there really was not room for them in the house.

6. Last point (I promise!). It is now clear to me that when this event grew from the very small, close family celebration of a marriage that had already taken place (as originally described to me) to what turned out to be a large church wedding with 65 guests, this was no longer the right venue for what they had planned. We do not have the resources, space or flexibility of a hotel and the behavior of this set of guests (and their guests) had a real and negative impact on others staying here at that time. That morning started badly and rapidly developed into chaos as more and more people arrived - and although I could have probably handled it better,my instincts were to protect those guests whose stay was being spoiled by the behavior of others.

I know that was my last point, but I'm not really sure how to end this. I guess all I would like to say is that I still wish them a long and happy life together and I am only so sorry that this was the wrong venue for the celebrations they had planned.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

I grew up in Stow. My beautiful wife and I stayed here for our wedding and were treated maliciously by the innkeepers the morning of our wedding day. The owner, Viki, yelled and berated my poor wife and her bridesmaid because her make-up artist came too early in the morning. This was not their fault and I find it completely unnecessary for Viki to be so cruel and hurtful on someone's wedding day. It is not proper to harass a bride and her bridesmaid for 3 hours before the wedding ceremony. In addition, our family members were made so uncomfortable that they had to wait in the driveway. It was embarrassing. No one should be treated like that on such a special day. Innkeepers are suppose to have compassion for their guests. The only thing I found here were two very grouchy a selfish innkeepers.

12  Thank SingDutch23
VikiCarter, Owner at Amerscot House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

I shall breathe deeply before responding to this review. It was, I agree, an unpleasant experience, for us as well as these guests. I had bent over backwards to try and give them everything they wanted. They were getting married nearby and wanted a room for two nights prior to the ceremony, I gave them an early check-in, last minute rollaway bed for the bridesmaid, somewhere to change after the ceremony (two hours after their final checkout). I said I would be there to let her hairdresser in at 7.30am in the morning. I agreed to a few family coming here after the ceremony for photographs and a Tea Ceremony. I explained that all of this was not easy as the inn was full and I had people checking in at 3pm, but as long as they were all gone by 1.30pm I would do what I could to help. On every item my generosity was abused. I really don't want to go through things point by point, but this is a small, four bedroomed inn, and inconsiderate behavior by one guest affects the comfort and enjoyment of others. The bride had one room, the other three rooms were full of guests unrelated to the wedding. Inn guests were having breakfast when they were disturbed by numerous wedding guests walking into the inn - other than the hairdresser, there had been no mention of additional arrivals at this time. I had certainly not been told that the inn was to be used as the assembly point for the wedding ceremony. There is not room in our common spaces for more than a few non-residents and it is therefore not surprising that they ended up in the driveway while they waited for the bride. Their cars blocked cars belonging to guests, they helped themselves to inn snacks, they walked without knocking into our private apartment - most importantly...they should not have been here at that time!. I spoke to the bride once to tell her that I felt she was taking advantage of my generosity and that I didn't appreciate it, but after that brief two minutes (not 3 hours) I avoided her as I didn't want to spoil her day - even though she had ruined mine - oh, and I didn't yell, we were standing right outside other guests' bedroom doors at the time! I told the groom when he arrived that I was annoyed and felt I was being taken advantage of and he said he 'would make it up to me'.

I did not want anything from him, just that they kept to the agreement we had made. Their guests clearly had not been told the nature of the inn and felt entitled to walk in and make use of our facilities obviously assuming that because the bride had a room here they were also entitled to be here. When the bride asked her hairdresser to arrive earlier, it would have been courteous to let me know - or be at the door to meet her herself to avoid other guests being woken (which they were). When I offered to let them return to change as long as they packed their bags and cleared their bedroom by the regular checkout time, it would have been nice if they had done so and not left me working right up until the next guests checked in. And of course it would have been nice if they had all left by the agreed time of 1.30pm.

But, hey...we all learn by experience, and I realize now that this was not the right place for them. In a small inn each guest is important to me and each guest is entitled to use the common facilities and have peace and quiet in their room. The agreement to allow photos and a tea ceremony was carefully arranged to be between 12.30 and 1.30pm so that no other guests would be affected. What transpired was a nightmare for us as we tried to control events and prevent our other guests having their time here spoiled.

I am truly sorry that these guests found us inhospitable as I love my guests and strive very hard to give them a great experience. But on this occasion the needs and comfort of other guests had to be considered - there were good reasons for all the agreements I made prior to this stay and I am sad they were not able to keep to them. I do of course wish them the very best in their life together - and just for the record, the bride looked stunning when she had her photos taken in our garden and the bridesmaids were adorable :)

Reviewed 27 July 2013

Everything was perfect from first glance to reluctant goodbyes. Our room was huge, exquisitely beautiful and wonderfully comfortable with a bathroom to match. We enjoyed the scrumptious breakfast (with several choices of fare) while watching the local bird life, in their gorgeous setting, partake of the offerings in the feeder just outside the window. Lots of complementary drinks and nibblies, and essentially everything you'd ever want. Best were Vicki and Andy, who were not only warm, interesting people, but also happy to accommodate our every need and to share information about the locality. And they were totally nonplussed when we called at a very unreasonable hour in need of directions back to our "home away from home." It was hard to leave these lovely people and their fabulous B&B. Suzanne & Jerry

Room Tip: Just tell Vicki what you want. The room we had, downstairs, was magnificent.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2013

My wife and I stayed at Amerscot House late June 2013. We chose Amerscot due to the Tripadvisor ratings. Once we arrived I could see why everyone rated it so highly. Our room was huge, perfectly decorated and full of complementary snacks and drinks. The Bathroom was stunning. The whole house exuded style and comfort. There was complimentary wine, beer and soft drinks. Viki and her Husband are very welcoming and nothing is too much trouble. Breakfast on the porch was perfect. In terms of location, Concord is close by and there are plenty of restaurants within a short drive.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StuartY853
VikiCarter, Owner at Amerscot House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

How lovely to read your kind review - thank you so much for taking the time to write it. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you had a great time during the whole of your visit to New England. I hope had an easy journey back to Oxfordshire and that you are enjoying the English summer. Best wishes, Viki