“I loved this place!”

Go Boston Card
Ranked #1 of 17 things to do in Sturbridge
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A recreated New England village, with authentic period buildings, provides vistors with an intimate view of life in the early 1800s.
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I used to love going to Old Sturbridge Village when I was a kid! I haven't been here in years! I miss it so much, I haven't found a place like this anywhere else! So many homes to tour and I love the open fields! Wonderful places to get food, nice gift shop.Beautiful horse and buggy rides, great job! A must go! Great for the entire family.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,200)
All reviews
in 51 reviews
"bullard tavern"
in 28 reviews

Reviewed 11 January 2014

We've been going to Old Sturbridge Village for over 30 years, and we learn something new during each visit. The Christmas by Candlelight evenings are great, and the theme days add lots of variation, so each visit to the Village is uniquely enjoyable. The staff are friendly, and it's a pleasure talking with them to learn the ins and outs of daily life in the 1830's New England.

If you plan on visiting more than twice a year, a membership will more than pay for itself. Each season at the Village offers different aspects of colonial life. I do suggest becoming a member if you live in the area and if you enjoy American history as much as I do.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

My husband and I visited OSV for Christmas by Candlelight on Friday night of the third weekend. What a terrific time we had! It really put us in the holiday sprit. Each of the houses around the Common was decked for the holiday and offered a taste of the various traditions. Following our time in the Village proper, we dined at the Oliver Wight Tavern and enjoyed a perfect meal to finish a wonderful evening. We're already looking forward to repeating the experience next year.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

This was my first time visiting Old Sturbridge Village and my sister, mom, and four children ages 7 - 12 went to Old Sturbridge Village on a crisp December day. It was very easy to find since it is right off the Mass turnpike with many signs pointing out the direction and parking was easy. The Village is quite large and we spent five hours there! Most of the buildings are centered around a town square and we spent time in the Fitch House and Barn, the bank, printing office, pottery shop, blacksmith shop, Towne House, and the Knight Store. One highlight was riding on the horse drawn wagon which we got on by the Tavern. We ate lunch in the Bullard Tavern which had a nice selection of lunch items (hot dogs, pb&j, chicken fingers, mac 'n cheese for the kids and I had a tasty chicken pot pie.) The rustic setting was fun. The potter was very engaging at the Pottery Shop. Two of our children dipped a pair of candles at the Hands On Crafts Center and we kept as souvenirs (it was $5 to do the craft). The Village has some live animals - sheep, horses, cows, and some more cows we saw at different locations. We also stopped for a snack (fudge . . mmm . . ) at the Grant Store and Bake Shop. Not to miss when you are all done with your visit is the Gift Shop and Book Store which has a nice selection of items, including many handmade items made at the village. I purchased a brown glazed ceramic piece that had been made at the Pottery Shop. Even though we got a bit cold at the end, we had a fun day at the Village and and even the adults learned a few new things about life in the 1790-1840s. I plan to keep my eyes open for their special events and return in the spring or summer.

1  Thank Mary Jo M
See more reviews
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Horse drawn Sleigh ride thru the village singing Christmas carols, hot mulled cider, chestnuts being cooked over an open fire, old time Santa for the kiddies, storytelling every half hour , a Bon fire to sit by and reflect or just relax. Every building you enter offering something from olden days. Quaint, lovely. Memorable
Hints: wear sturdy shoes, waterproof if possible. Dress for the outdoors . Do not let your cold feet , hands , neck or head stop you from enjoying the beautiful outdoor village. Dress in layers.

3  Thank NewYorkGemini