“Disappointed :(”

Ranked #2 of 2 Sturbridge B&B and Inns
Leominster, Massachusetts, United States
“Disappointed :(”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Soooooooo We spent a weekend here in 2006 and were in love. We stayed in a mini sweet in the barn area.
This weekend, we had a gift certificate to stay, did not get to pick own room and was not pleased with a few factors.
Check in time was 3:00 pm. We got there at 3:14 and the office was closed. We called the number on the door and the owner( I assume) answered. He said he tried to call me and my phone was disconnected( the one I was talking to him on) and he thought we were not coming. 14 minutes after check in time?
He came down and opened the door, and there was no heat in the building. It was freezing.
He took us to our room and it was getting warm in there. The decor was old, bedspread tattered, wallpaper peeling. The light over the jacuzzi was burnt out and there were water stains on the ceiling. No cable and no continental breakfast as indicated on website. He told us there was a Dunkin Donuts down the road.
The best part of our stay was the dinner we had down the street..
Would I go back? Don't think so..
So sad to think they would let it go like that.. I understand it was off season, but if you are going to run a business you need to make ALL your customers happy.. not just during tourist season.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Karen B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Pine Beach, New Jersey
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Overall charming expiereience..as others stated the lobby is closed until 10am...we had the palce to ourselves for 2 nights...good room and comfortable...had to salt the walkway myself in the morning.

Room Tip: If you like quaint, and not very demanding, it is a cool place...in good area where there are two ni...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank eddie930
Toms River NJ
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

The owner of the Sturbridge country inn went above and beyond to help my fiancé and i to plan thanksgiving dinner at the inn. The kitchen and dining area was perfect for my family of 15 and we could have been more if needed. Most of the family stayed two nights and we had the renovated barn all to ourselves. Each of the rooms had a whirl pool tub, fireplaces, and loads of country charm. I would recommend the Sturbridge country inn to anyone that wants to spend some quiet time in the country or use as a central gathering place.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

We were passing through the area and we wanted to stay overnight in a place that has more character than a Super 8, and we were very pleased by this Inn. The building is still very clearly the 1800s-era farmhouse. The lobby is the old carriage house, and you can still see the original beams and roof.

The staff was very friendly. We ran into some traffic and knew we would miss the 7pm check-in time. We called ahead, and the Innkeeper (whose name I've forgotten - sorry!) stayed late to check us in. She also offered to help us carry our bags up the two flights of stairs and pointed us to an EXCELLENT brick-oven pizza place down the street for dinner.

We stayed in the loft suite. It was huge! Lovely king-sized bed with a nice firm mattress, a bunch of beautiful old pieces of furniture, and the biggest Jacuzzi tub I've ever seen. It was like a mini hot tub...definitely meant for a party! Unfortunately, we couldn't figure out how to work the jets, so it was just a giant tub for us. It was still pretty cool, though.

The room had a gas fireplace, too. I was looking forward to soaking in a tub next to a fire, but alas, the gas wasn't turned on because it is summertime.

There were some areas of improvement needed: the shower head could use an upgrade, and the towel rack came off the wall. These were minor inconveniences, though, and at $170 (which includes taxes) for the night, we thought this place had great value - and all the character we were looking for!

One more caveat: we found this place while searching for B&Bs, but the Inn is NOT a bed and breakfast. They don't serve breakfasts. There are several lovely restaurants in walking distance, though, so that isn't a big deal. Just something to be aware of if you are specifically looking for a B&B.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Stephanie E
Media, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 August 2013

This property is a remnant of the past - possibly the 80's by bathroom fixtures. Everything is worn and dirty, and lacking maintenance. However the bed was comfortable. This is advertised as a B&B, but that's really misleading. As others have stated the lobby is closed until 10AM, so breakfast would be impossible for most guests. We were told that "continental breakfast is only served on weekends" - obviously after 10AM. What was most interesting is that we were asking about the breakfast for Saturday morning and the desk clerk didn't even know what day it was. That says it all!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mdcruiser_12

Travellers are raving about these Sturbridge hotels

Waltham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 May 2013

I was a bit nervous about staying here after reading some of the reviews, but decided to go. As others have said, it's very run down (although the room was very clean). There is no one at the desk between 7pm and 10am. Thankfully I arrived early so was able to get my key...which is another thing that made me a bit uncomfortable. The rack with the keys on it was hanging out behind the front desk (and with no coverage overnight...). Security was lax...they had a code to get in, but it was hard to pull the door completely shut so other guests just left it unlocked.

While the room was clean, the mattress was horrible, which made for a very uncomfortable night. For the money ($162/couple) this was way overpriced and somewhere I will not stay again!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank TriciaA25
charleston, maine
Reviewed 9 May 2013

My husband and I went to a wedding not too far away from this Inn and we decided to book a night over the Internet as they wouldn't return my call (with questions). We had to key in at 8:30 pm as no one is on staff then, if there had been we would have complained.
Room #4 was very dirty, as if it had never been cleaned at all! There were popcorn pieces on the floor (my husband and I didn't eat in the room), and dirt on the bathroom floor. The worst was the sheets...they were covered with cracker crumbs and we had to shake them out... disgusting! The floor in front of our door was very dirty/ black with a large black spot on the right side of the bed also. The unvented gas heater had an overpowering smell of propane gas fumes, but it did hide the moldy smell somewhat, as there is black mold on the ceiling in the bathroom. You can't use the Jacuzzi tub after 11 pm, or before 9 am. We left as soon as we could in the morning as their 'continental breakfast' consisted of a muffin, and we didn't want to wait until after 8:30 am to find out how wonderful THAT would have been. BTW I have cleaned in hotels for a living when I was younger....I would have been ashamed to leave a room in such poor condition.
Honestly, I have been camping, and had nicer, cleaner accommodations...I would rather have stayed in the car, but as there isn't anyone there after 7pm, good luck complaining.

Room Tip: Room 4 is right on the road, and close to a noisy ice maker.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank innbad
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sturbridge
Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center
Hampton Inn Sturbridge
Hampton Inn Sturbridge
#4 of 14 in Sturbridge
Southbridge Hotel And Conference Center

Been to Sturbridge Country Inn? Share your experiences!