“Keep on moving!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Sturbridge B&B and Inns
Hopkinton, Massachusetts
“Keep on moving!”
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

My motto generally is that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all! Mike and I agree with the majority of the reviews that this B&B was, however, lacking. We stayed in a room converted from the barn. Great balcony and charm.The room was clean and spacious but the Jacuzzi was broken and by the reaction of the maid/front desk clerk was a known fact. Mike asked for compensation for the inconvenience but that was quickly swept under the rug and we were told to contact management.....where ever they might have been. Saw no one the entire time we were there. Also, I am 5'9" tall and had trouble climbing into the tub so can only imagine the trouble smaller people had getting into the shower safely. The facet on the tub leaked, gushing water all down the wall on the bedroom side (tub/shower/Jacuzzi opened on both sides....bathroom & bedroom) until I could grab a towel to clean it up.
Admittance to the barn was by code and we did find the door left open several times.
The lobby had very strange hours....like most of the time no one was there and the sitting area (which was decorated very nicely) was unavailable.
We learned the next morning that breakfast was no longer served because "it just wasn't working out"! I guess the maid/front desk woman felt badly for us because she gave us a cup of coffee and a cold, stale muffin for the road. We will find some place else to stay next time.BTW.....I have stayed at the Super Motel 8 there in town(mentioned earlier in another review) and it was awesome. Clean and a full breakfast served. Friendly staff as well!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank carolynhall49

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Where shall I begin?
The main building needed a paint job desperately.
Lots of dust
Main door was sometimes found left open, anyone could come in
Owner left for vacation - when some rooms were occupied (Really?)
Lobby closed too early and inconveniently
No microwave in our room
Debris spouting out the jets in the jacuzzi
Queen deluxe room smelled musty, toilet flushed itself intermittently
The pool area was deplorable; pool was covered, the chairs were dirty, the wood was rotting, the grass had not been mowed in a bit
Signs of neglect everywhere
Definitely not as elegant as portrayed in the pictures on the website, which tells me those pictures were taken EONS ago.
Taught me to check out the place first before deciding to stay.
My husband and I were celebrating our anniversary. The highlight of our stay was the fact that we were together. The housekeeper Michelle did all she could to make our stay as perfect as possible. She was such a dear and so hardworking - she deserves a raise!

Room Tip: Sorry, I can't say any rooms are worth it.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DeeAngel

Travellers are raving about these Sturbridge hotels

Union Dale, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

The good: comfy huge bed. Great shower. Clean room. Close to Brimfield.
The not so good: We booked it as B&B, but no breakfast midweek. Flat screen TV in every room? Not ours. Old building w/modern finishing/decor.
Bottom line-for $170/nite it was a let down.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GabeKatz
Harrisville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 April 2014

When booking a "country inn" my expectation is that I would have "an experience." Generally, the owners (or a manager) are on site and proudly show off the inn and all of the amenities. If I wanted "just a room" I would book one of the chains and get a free breakfast, too. To be fair, in spite of the fact that I found this inn by searching for "bed and breakfasts" and that is how this inn is listed on Tripadvisor, the proprietor did tell me in advance that they no longer offer breakfast, so I was prepared for that. What I was not prepared for was that the lovely main room was locked and not accessible at all throughout my stay. After checking in, there was no staff on site throughout the 4 night stay, so the inn, beyond my room, was "off limits." I could only peer through the glass door to see, but not use, the dining table, bookshelves, lovely fireplace, toaster and microwave. The room itself did not offer a dining table or microwave, so there was no opportunity to warm up the previous night's leftovers for lunch the next day, or toast a bagel for breakfast and anything brought in had to be eaten while sitting in a chair and holding food on your lap or eating in bed. This main room is the loveliest area of the inn and from the photos on their web site, I had envisioned spreading my paperwork out on the table, in front of the fireplace, sipping my coffee or having a bowl of microwave popcorn, enjoying a productive, relaxing evening after spending long days at a conference. Thankfully, I did have access to the ice machine.
The room itself was very clean and a coffee pot and packets of coffee were provided. Also, the large jacuzzi tub was in good working order. Michelle, who checked me in, was very pleasant and made it clear that I could call at any time if I needed anything. However, since, technically, I don't NEED "atmosphere," I didn't think calling to say I wanted access to the main room was what she had in mind.
Regular maintenance has been neglected. The toilet "ran" constantly which is very annoying when trying to sleep. The heating/ac unit, which is a "through the wall" unit, was not covered and there was no gutter on the inn's roof, thus, during an all-night rain, the rain "pinged" loudly and constantly. The exposed electrical wire sitting on top of the outdoor portion of the unit also made me reluctant to utilize the unit while it was exposed to the rain. Shrubberies were growing over the exhaust fan outlet for the gas fireplace, again making me reluctant to use the fireplace.
This inn could be lovely with regular maintenance issues resolved and full time staff on site to help create the "experience" of a true country inn. I understand the expense of maintaining an inn of this nature could be daunting. I would suggest to the owners that perhaps they offer free housing to a couple in exchange for being the resident manager/maintenance/cleaning staff to offset the expense. Having staff present at all times while guests are in the inn would help with creating that atmosphere that travelers who enjoy staying at country inns expect AND they will be willing to return.

Room Tip: The large jacuzzi tub is also the shower. If you have trouble getting in and out of a very high tub...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank anniemousebooks
Leominster, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Soooooooo We spent a weekend here in 2006 and were in love. We stayed in a mini sweet in the barn area.
This weekend, we had a gift certificate to stay, did not get to pick own room and was not pleased with a few factors.
Check in time was 3:00 pm. We got there at 3:14 and the office was closed. We called the number on the door and the owner( I assume) answered. He said he tried to call me and my phone was disconnected( the one I was talking to him on) and he thought we were not coming. 14 minutes after check in time?
He came down and opened the door, and there was no heat in the building. It was freezing.
He took us to our room and it was getting warm in there. The decor was old, bedspread tattered, wallpaper peeling. The light over the jacuzzi was burnt out and there were water stains on the ceiling. No cable and no continental breakfast as indicated on website. He told us there was a Dunkin Donuts down the road.
The best part of our stay was the dinner we had down the street..
Would I go back? Don't think so..
So sad to think they would let it go like that.. I understand it was off season, but if you are going to run a business you need to make ALL your customers happy.. not just during tourist season.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Karen B
Pine Beach, New Jersey
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Overall charming expiereience..as others stated the lobby is closed until 10am...we had the palce to ourselves for 2 nights...good room and comfortable...had to salt the walkway myself in the morning.

Room Tip: If you like quaint, and not very demanding, it is a cool place...in good area where there are two ni...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank eddie930
Toms River NJ
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

The owner of the Sturbridge country inn went above and beyond to help my fiancé and i to plan thanksgiving dinner at the inn. The kitchen and dining area was perfect for my family of 15 and we could have been more if needed. Most of the family stayed two nights and we had the renovated barn all to ourselves. Each of the rooms had a whirl pool tub, fireplaces, and loads of country charm. I would recommend the Sturbridge country inn to anyone that wants to spend some quiet time in the country or use as a central gathering place.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family