“My stay was ok but a couple of issues”

Econo Lodge Sturbridge
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Sturbridge
“My stay was ok but a couple of issues”
Reviewed 22 June 2011

I stayed there on my way back from maine to connecticut. The room was clean. The dresser looked dated and was missing a knob and had holes in the top where the tv lockdown device was previously mounted. Had plenty of cable channels. A/c thermostat knob shaft was stripped so a/c only ran at coldest temp full blast and could not adjust. Room was like a refrigerator I payed 39.99 with a coupon they honored. Housekeeping banged on door very early and opened it anyways but i had the deadbolt locked thank god as i was still in my underwear. I saw a Labor Ready pad the maids were using so I think they use temps to clean the rooms. It looked like it was another fancier brand of motel back in its heyday. Pool was not open still covered up.

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank Westhavener

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Swanton, Vermont
Reviewed 26 April 2010

We were returning from Florida, and decided to stay in Sturbrige the night. Since no Holiday Inns were in site (though my GPS showed one that was now a La Quinta...), we decided to check out the Motel 6. Our thoughts were we just want a clean bed to sleep, and it's not that busy, so should be quiet. Were we wrong! When you only have 6 - 7 vehicles of guests staying there, why jam them in the same area of the motel? We had guests next to us and above us, and the paper thin walls made it difficult to relax with both hearing voices, TVs, and later "noises if you know what I mean!". We toughed it out, but in the morning I stated to the man at the office about the noices, the running toilet, etc.. "Oh, so sorry..."

Well, we tried to cheap out that one last night on the road, and it was a mistake that we will not make again...

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank MFTMAINE

Travellers are raving about these Sturbridge hotels

Upstate NY
Reviewed 13 October 2009

My husband and I stayed here Sunday of Columbus Day weekend. I know it was a holiday weekend, but that is no excuse for what we found.
I had looked up the rates online before checking in and the rate was 65.99 for a room for 2 people. We went to the desk and the gentleman ( who was nice) quoted us a rate of 79.99....we glanced at each other, and my husband suggested we go back up Rt 20 to a Super 8 we had passed. The man immediately changed his rate to "The special for 1 traveler " ... 65.99 .. the online rate for 2 ! We should have gone back to the Super 8!!
I could smell a strong smell of curry in the air at the front desk, and commented "I don't know what's cooking, but it smells good !" The man looked up quickly and said..."Oh, I have a breath mint in my mouth " !!?? I didn't know they came in curry flavor !
The first room we were assigned to was not cleaned yet, at 2:30 in the afternoon. We walked back to the desk, and requested a change which the did do immediately, but were accompanied back by a snotty woman who apparently didn't believe us, because she opened the door which was ajar anyway, and agreed, yes, it hadn't been cleaned. DUH !! It looked like a pigsty when we looked in, LOL.
Anyway, after we had gotten our bags in, we started turning on the lights, as the room was very dark. The dirtiness was everywhere ! Door frames were filthy, mirror was streaky, and there was an actual huge clod of dirt in the middle of the bathroom floor. I used one of the kleenex-like washcloths to clean it up. Needless to say, we never walked barefoot in the room.
The only 3 saving graces were the micro-fridge combination, and the fact that the entrance to OSV is across the street and that The Cedar Street Restaurant was 3 doors down.
I know Motel 6 is a budget motel...but I didn't expect fancy digs, just clean ones.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank linnerone
Barrie
Reviewed 12 August 2009

Finished travelling south in New England and wanted to stay outside of Boston, so tourist information recommended Sturbridge, MA. Found the Motel 6 to be a good, basic choice and liked that it had an outdoor pool.

Sturbridge is simply the junction of I-90 and I-87, but lots of hotels, restaurants, etc. found here.

Motel 6 is nestled on top of a small hill, which creates a separation from the main room (US20) that it fronts on. Motel is basic, yet clean and comfortable. Both rooms were clean, with separated bath/toilet and sink areas which works well for couples.

Pool was wonderful, especially on a hot (30C) afternoon!!! Teenage girls spent hours there. Decent selection of restaurants nearby. We chose Cracker Barrel and had 2 great meals (dinner and breakfast).

This place was better than other Motel 6's I've stayed at.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Maine
Reviewed 9 July 2009

We stayed at the Econo Lodge in Sturbridge based on their website which boasted a continental breakfast and a pool. The continental breakfast consisted of primarily Little Debbie snacks and the pool was closed, we visited in July. The bathroom tub had coners full of black mildew and the bedding smelled of mold or mildew. Had we inspected this room prior to our arrival at midnight, we would not have stayed at this motel.

• Disliked — smell
  • Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank tkm425
New Jersey
Reviewed 17 June 2009

After reading some reviews (although they were a year old or older), I was pleasantly surprised that the hotel was not as bad as it sounded. Basic accommodations, clean and neat. We had a small room with one queen bed. It was comfortable and well kept. The place could use a little updating. The gentlemen who worked at the front desk were pleasant and helpful. We asked for a refrigerator and it was set up and waiting when we arrived. I would not mind staying here again if in the area.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 13 June 2009

We stayed one night last month at the Motel 6, which was completely full due to the Brimfield Antiques show. It was considerably less expensive than the other motels in the area, which made us a bit nervous about what to expect. We were very pleasantly surprised, finding the room to be just fine and extremely clean. Even though we were right at the top of the staircase, and did hear some noise from outside, we got a good night's sleep. It should be noted that there was no breakfast, but with Dunkin Donuts and McDonald's right down the road, this was absolutely no problem. It certainly wasn't a fancy place, but for the money we paid it was well worth it. We will return.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple