“Nice surprise”

Ranked #2 of 65 Restaurants in Sturbridge
Price range: US$1 - US$44
Cuisines: Seafood, Grill
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Sturbridge Seafood is offers a variety of creatively prepared dishes from sea and land featuring the freshest seafood the area has to offer. Our menu changes almost daily to reflect what is available. From award-winning chowder to shared plates to entrees there is something for everyone. We have 14 taps of craft and American brews, over 20 wines by the glass and artisan as well as classic cocktails that change with the whim of our bar staff. We are excited to add our unique culinary perspective to the Sturbridge, MA restaurant scene!
Reviewed 10 November 2013

On November 9,2013 my husband and I went to dinner with friends at Sturbridge Seafood. We used call ahead as there are no reservations taken. We were told they were very busy and could be a 40 min. wait. We waited an hour for our table but were pleasantly surprised with our total experience there. We started with drinks, the list of possibilities were endless as presented to us by our waitress. Three of us settled on the St. Germain Smash and the other had the Rum Punch which were all very good. Our water was served in Mason jars and a bottle of water left at the table for refills which I thought was neat touch. Next I had the clam chowder for an appetizer, this was the best I have had, very flavorful. The others had Sweet and Spicy Calamari, the waitress informed us that the sweetness was from Rock Candy that is from Sturbridge Village another nice touch. For our Entrees 2 of us chose the Surf and Turf which was to die for the beef tenderloin was literally melt in your mouth delicious. My husband who does not like seafood was nicely accommodated with the Turf and scallion mashed potatoes which he enjoyed. Our other diner had the salmon dish which was very good according to him and we all agreed after having a sample. Unfortunatley we did not have room for dessert. Overall our experience was Awesome from our knowledgeable and very pleasant waitress, Faith, to the exceptionable food and drink. We will definitely be back.

1  Thank Sher3

Reviewed 2 November 2013

On November 1st, husband and I took a 'road trip' to Country Curtains. As we exited the parking
lot, we spotted the Sturbridge Seafood sign and decided to have our lunch there. That was the
best decision we made that day! We chose the clam chowder and the fish and chips. The
chowder was the best we have ever had, bar none!! It was served piping hot; it was especially flavorful. The fish and chips [cod, by the way] was fresh and done to crunchy perfection.
We are from Cape Cod and have had numerous plates of fish and chips and many bowls of clam
chowder in various restaurants. None of the chowders can compare to the huge bowl we had
on Friday!! Hats off to the Sturbridge Seafood restaurant!! Pleasant atmosphere, stellar service and FANTASTIC food at very comfortable prices. We shall return on another 'road trip,' to be
sure. Charlie of the Cape

1  Thank Donna S
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Gourmet seafood in a new restaurant in Sturbridge. Appetizers are called "sharing" because they big enough for two or one could be used as entree. We had blackened scallops perfectly done and spiced. On the same plate was a fabulous risotto, cheesy and spiced. For my main meal had salmon with honey-mustard and horseradish sauce over panko crusted salmon. Outstanding and crunchy! Came with mashed potatoes and green beans. Skipped dessert which was limited to two choices. My wife had red snapper with gnocchi.
Complaints are minor: small restaurant (30 seats) and on the mousy side. Food more than compensates. Bill for two was about $60.

1  Thank DrPaulS
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We went to the Sturbridge Seafood restaurant tonight in Sturbridge. (next to Sal's pizza) We had avoided going for the first week because of its location next to a pizza joint, we had presumed it was a fried fish and chip type place. Once word got back that it wasn't, and we checked out the menu online, we decided to go. (word to the wise, the menu online is not the current menu- the menu caries weekly/daily) Let me start by saying that in a perfect world, The Sturbridge Seafood restaurants menu and chef would have a restaurant location and atmosphere much nicer than this. The atmosphere is well, non existent. I've eaten in hospital cafeteria's with more ambiance. (think, bright, metallic, loud, and awkward flow- when the bartender overheard our conversation about - dimmer switch... LOL he did say they were bringing in an electrician to put in dimmers. Holy bright recessed lights!)) Luckily, the food is so great, you would eat it sitting on the curb outside, if need be. Our server was attentive and all of the staff pitched in with every aspect of the service. The bartender has a heavy, but not crazy hand, and his cocktails were good. ( a second visit, with a different bartender found her just as skilled as the previous visit!) I started with the clam chowder and I will say that his chowder is what the pilgrims meant it to be when they came here and used their basic ingredients to concoct that warm goodness. Smokey and buttery, filled with clams and small dices of red skin potatoes, it was a definite great beginning. My husband got the cucumber and tomato salad (i grabbed some and the dressing was deep, flavorful, and the ingredients were good and cold and snappy) We also got four of the shrimp for a cocktail and it arrived on an enormous serving platter. They were good sized, not rubbery, and the horseradish and cocktail sauce were a good accompaniment. My main meal was from the shared plate appetizer section- I got the seared tenderloin bruschetta and a side of the smashed potato. The potato arrived five minutes before the meal?? But was nummy, nummy, nummy. Flavorful, creamy, yet perfect sized lumps too. When the bruschetta was placed in front of me, I was in heaven- the bread had the perfect crispness to hold up to the shallot cream sauce and the tenderloin was perfect... a bit spicy but that just highlighted the cream sauce. The cherry tomatoes and scallions were chopped perfectly on top. I could eat that every night and die young and happy. My husband got the cod with citrus mango salsa over black bean mashed potatoes. He said the fish was light, did not need additional lemon and that the mango was a perfect accent. We both wiped out plates clean. We ordered a pumpkin cheesecake cupcake for dessert to share and it arrived in a weird plastic chinese take out container. ?? The taste was spot on, not too 'pumpkinny' and not too sweet. Splitting it gave us each about two forkfuls. We were both VERY happy with our meals and with the service. The prices can seem steep, but the food was so well thought out and flavorful, it wasn't painful at all. We will definitely be back. If I had any advice (other than to somehow break thru into Sal's and take over their place to make it bigger and better looking) I would say to find a way to present the smaller portions of the shrimp cocktail (the tray of ice was ginormous- better for 10+ shrimp, not the lonely four we ordered) and ditch the fancy presentation of one cupcake. As a matter of fact, my advice is that, given the size of the cupcakes, I would offer a free seasonal cupcake to each table at the completion of their meal as a way of saying thank you and giving them a sweet treat. The salt water taffy they present with the check is a non starter. The four bite cupcake would look perfect in those little tins they have and everyone would love a forkful of a seasonal flavor! We'll be back, again and again!

1  Thank BeaverCreek13
Reviewed 16 October 2013

If you are in the Sturbridge area, or a resident, please try this restaurant. My husband and I just had the best seafood dinner, that we have had in a long time. Sturbridge Seafood has just opened within the past few weeks. We are so impressed! OK, meals are a bit pricey and, would not recommend if you have children. Atmosphere, small, and quaint. Nice bar. Tables, about 10-12, which seat 4-6 people. Service was excellent. Food to die for. I had the salmon. Entrée $19.00, yes, expensive for a week night, but definitely worth it. But, best salmon I ever had. Sugar glaze salmon, with mashed potato and asparagus. Yum Yum! Portion, good size. Could not eat it all, will have for lunch tomorrow at work. Smile! Drinks, glass of wine $8.00. Again, not to bad, but would be ok for the weekend. WARNING! We did try to visit the restaurant over the weekend, (Friday night), and the wait was 1 hour. Suggest going on a week day, no wait. If you are not a Sturbridge resident, it is worth the wait. I have been a Sturbridge resident for over 10 years. My husband and I are, busy professionals, eat out a lot, and not satisfied with most of our local restaurants. This one, PLEASE TRY IT. You will definitely enjoy it.