“Second time, just right again”

Publick House Historic Inn
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Sturbridge
Lewiston, Maine
“Second time, just right again”
Reviewed 18 August 2011

This was our second time staying here, splitting our Maine-Pennsylvania jaunt into two easy day trips. We stay in the less expensive 'country lodge' out-buildings ('70s era hotel type, but nice enough). We opened the back porch sliding glass door at night and listened to the woods (birds, cicadas, crickets or whatever). Nice. We had seen several deer on the lawn in the evening.

Best was the breakfast deal: $3 off each person, prices listed on the placard. I had a great corned beef hash & eggs (made with carrots and other veggies) that only cost $8 or 9 before the coupon. So big I had to take half on the road. There were also free muffins and coffee at the tavern and we did indulge in buying an excellent cherry pie from the bake shop. You really couldn't resist.

There was some construction going on affecting traffic patterns-- not so obvious where to check in, but we worked that out. I would recommend staying here while traveling. I bet the main house is twice as nice (but it is 2-1/2 times the cost).

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Jersey
Reviewed 8 August 2011

We stayed in the historic inn and it was wonderful. I was very nervous having read terrible reviews but it was the best hotel we stayed in during our 2 week tour of New England.

The rooms are small but pretty and clean. The bed is very comfortable. And the food was delicious. I had the lobster pie which I would highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank DFJersey
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We stayed at the public house this past weekend for my cousins wedding. The inn is really historic and it's so interesting because you never know what kind of room is around the next corner. We stayed in the motor lodge part which was nothing extreamly fancy but it was extremely clean and suprisingly quite large. I never had a chance to go swimming but the pool looked brand new. The food at the wedding was great, and they have this great brunch on Sunday. We would definitely go back, I would like to stay in the inn especially after getting a personal tour from the desk supervisor Ethan. He was very friendly and knowledgeable about the history of the inn. The inn also has a great bake shop- the sweet rolls are to die for!

• Stayed July 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We stayed at the Publick House for a wedding. The wedding and breakfast the next morning were wonderful with great food! We stayed in the main house where our room was extremely small. We were suppose to get a queen bed, but it was only a full. There were also some bugs (spiders and ants) in the room. Some people in our group ended up at the motor inn which I heard was not as nice as our rooms! And it was at the top of a hill, so kinda a hike from the main house.

I'd recommend for a wedding and a place to stay with no frills.

• Stayed May 2011
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed 26 July 2011

Stayed here on a Sunday night with a last minute deal from Priceline.com.

We stayed in the motel section out behind the stately home/Inn right on the road. Our room was nothing fancy - it was a little run down (bathroom door didn't latch, shower curtain was frayed and ripped on the edges), and the decor was outdated. It was pretty clean though. Our room overlooked a pool that looked like it had been recently renovated.

We had the continental breakfast the next morning in the Ebenezer Tavern located in the downstairs of the main Inn. That was cool - the atmosphere/decor evoked.. an old New England tavern. The food served was muffins, sticky buns, coffee and hot chocolate. It was tasty!

For what it was, and what we paid, we were glad we had the experience. I don't think I'd ever pay full price though. For that much money I'd probably stay down the road at the Hampton Inn with its more modern amenities.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed 14 June 2011

My wife and i stayed at the Publick House 41 years ago on our honeymoon and had not returned until May 2010 on our anniversary. We were warmly wecomed and treated graciously by Michelle and her staff and enjoyed great food and drink in what can only be described as a small slice of the original New england. We returned again this year and were treated to another great experience.Sure the floors are crooked and things creak but thats the charm of the place---it's really amazing i fyou accept that it's living history. No Hilton can make that claim!!

Room Tip: use the coupon booksavailable at the visitor cents
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jacksyroid1
Mid Coast Maine, Maine
Reviewed 5 June 2011

I have stayed at the Country Motor Lodge many times over the past 15 years while traveling up and down through New England. A recent visit reminded me once again what an incredible value it is, and I felt that I should write after so many pleasant stays. Located on the same grounds as the beautiful old Publick House Historic Inn, the setting is breathtaking with rolling green hills, old stone walls and ancient shade trees. The landscaping is impeccably maintained in all seasons. We usual travel with our dog and the Lodge offers two (out of six) pet-friendly buildings for a small additional charge. I really love walking my mutt along the beautifully landscaped paths, across the street to a perfect old village green lined by historic residences, then past a colonial-era cemetery and back to the hotel. When my children were younger they enjoyed the old-fashioned playground and splashing in an apple-shaped swimming pool hidden in a sort of garden grotto on the side of a hill. Yes, the rooms are the typical motel style, but at some recent point were refurbished with pretty Toile wallpaper and fabrics and upgraded bathrooms. I believe all rooms look out into trees as opposed to the usual motel parking-lot views. As far as cleanliness, it rates equal to or better than more expensive hotels I've stayed at in recent years. There is a large screen TV, ironing board and iron, hair dryer, etc; the same amenities as a big chain motel where you would pay much higher rates.

The Publick House's dining room looks very nice, but I have always opted for the Ebenezer Crafts Tavern, a less formal restaurant at the rear ground level. The food is not what it was years ago, but the cozy ambience plus big relaxing wing chairs, a nice fire in the fireplace and cheerful service make up for it. The bakery next door is open early, offering good coffee and delicious fresh muffins, sticky buns and other baked goods. Newer chain motels have sprung up in the Sturbridge area, but I would not consider staying anywhere else.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank NJSCME
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sturbridge
Old Sturbridge Inn & Reeder Family Lodges
Southbridge Hotel And Conference Center
Scottish Inn Sturbridge
Scottish Inn Sturbridge
#6 of 14 in Sturbridge

Been to Publick House Historic Inn? Share your experiences!