“Thanksgiving weekend”

Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Sturbridge
Toms River, New Jersey
“Thanksgiving weekend”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

This was a half-way meeting spot for our family from New Jersey and Maine. We had a wonderful time. Most of us stayed in the motels behind the main historic house, very nice and reasonable rates (I think it was only 69/night). My brother and his wife stayed at the main house, more expensive and much smaller room. We enjoyed the downstairs pub with fireplace and couches, that is where we all met for the complimentary breakfast every morning. It was just coffee and baked goods. You could get a full breakfast upstairs in dining room with 20 % off. We had my Dad's 90th birthday party upstairs one night and it was perfect, the staff is wonderful, great food. I had the French onion soup twice while we were there, I loved it so much, once in the downstairs pub and once upstairs with dinner. On Thanksgiving day we went to the Old Sturbridge museum and the kids really loved it, great place. Plenty to do in the area if you like shopping and antiques. This is definitely going to be our meeting place for future family gatherings. So convenient just off Rt 84, easy to get to and out of. All the staff there from check in to check out was outstanding.

Room Tip: I asked for a first floor room because my Dad is 90 and they accommodated us plus put the rest of my...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Joisy
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Don't waste your time for brunch Yes it's a pretty place, - loved the plank flooring...that's why you got 2 of the 3 stars. And your bathroom is clean. I have never heard of eggs and no toast or bread or bagel, none on this buffet. That was odd, since your bakery upstairs sells bread that actually looked delicious. The eggs made to order were good but took forever, They were very large also, who needed all that. The coffee was good, there was a small amount of fruit, tiny muffins, the blueberry ones were dry, they have these pecan rolls that everyone raves about, they looked good, but hard...dry too, maybe if they were warm. I looked at the unappealing buffet of precooked stuff, the quiche of the day was good, my boyfriend got that so I tried it, the bacon not crisp, the sausage good the potato's soggy the stale hard as a rock bisquits waiting for the gravy ...I tried one with butter since there was no bread for my omelet but it was almost as hard as trying to break up sheet rock - maybe if I liked that gross looking gravy to load on it - it may have been a way to get the biscutt to soften up but forget trying to eat healthy the dessert was a pumpkin bread pudding it was yuk and mushy mess, and a apple something that by now I just wanted to leave, we had to beg for someone to get us coffee then flag down a bus boy to get our check. It was not worth anything, I thought as we walked thru the crowded little bakery, these poople must know to just get a pastry and coffee and skip the breakfast buffet, no wonder there were so many people upstairs there. Oh and the waitress was such a snot, like we were bothering her to get something to drink. Honestly this is your job to be personable it's a job working with the public- just pretend to care...

Room Tip: I actually heard the rooms had very thin walls,...It's a museum - not sure it should be a hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank June R

Travellers are raving about these Sturbridge hotels

Connecticut
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Beautiful grounds and historic facilities! This is a fantastic find any season with their own bakery too....Love this location and a do not miss in the Sturbridge area. Very convenient off 84 / mass pike. Rolling hills offer picturesque landscape and multiple fireplaces complete the New England ambiance. Service is very attentive but not intrusive.

Room Tip: Try to be assigned the main house for convenience to all facilities
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Bristol, Maine
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed overnight in the motor courts recently. This place was probably elegant twenty years ago, but tired and sagging now. The room smelled of strong cleaning chemicals (at least I hope that is what it was). No coffee in room. Not enough towels. Bathroom was freezing. The free continental breakfast was a drive away, was coffee and three coffee cake selections. No fruit, no juice, and not even full sized muffins. However you could have as much as you wanted. The Publick House should be a great New England inn. it just isn't.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kathy R
Fanwood, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My wife and I spent an evening here on our way to New Hampshire. We stayed in the original inn. We got a great Internet rate for a comfortable queen room. We also had an excellent dinner that evening. My wife's chicken pot pie was huge and delicious. I had the turkey dinner as a precursor to Thanksgiving. Our waitress, Vikki, was very cordial and made us laugh. Al in all, a nice stopover.

Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed 10/12-10/14 for a wedding that wasn't taking place at the Publick House, but nearby. However, the couple got a block of rooms here. This place is very cute and quaint. The room was clean. The staff was very friendly, helpful and professional. We stayed in a townhome-styled room and it was spacious. Balcony and patio. We had to call the office to get tissues and toilet paper, and someone came literally within 5 minutes. The second morning we were there, we needed towels and I woke up thinking I should call them. Before I had the chance, a nice girl come by with towels asking if we needed some! It's like she read my mind :) Comfy beds. They are very reasonably priced, and they have a very nice clientel. A lot of people there for weddings and a lot of families. They have a cute little bar and a bake shoppe. Didn't try the restaurant. A few fast-food and sit-down restaurants real close by.

Room Tip: The townhomes have 3 queen beds, 2 upstairs and 1 downstairs, so you can have a lot of people crash...
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We loved this inn! It was quaint, decorated beautifully for Fall. The setting was absolutely what you think of when you hear "New England." Beautiful interior rooms in the Inn and beautiful antiques. Squeaky clean in the restaurant areas.
Very warm and friendly feeling all around. The service desk people were VERY kind and helpful. We couldn't believe what a great location this was for Weddings and business meetings, etc.
It was busy ALL the time we were there with visitors and business people in for meetings and with people just like us who were tourists and staying on site. The value for our stay was tremendous...shocking really. We were very pleased about this bit. We were booked in for 3 nights and would have stayed another had there been a room for us later in the week upon our returning from a quick trip to Maine. However, they were booked SOLID and I understand why.
Our room was spacious and although we weren't in the main Inn, we were fine with this. Our room was a bit more of a hotel setting up the hill. We weren't in our room much much due to sightseeing and such, it was perfectly cozy when we came in of an evening. The bed was perfect and the pillows were great.

The breakfast area was fabulous and we enjoyed our tea, coffee and pastries every morning. When they ran out of an item, someone was there to replace it with a smile. Lovely staff here all about the place.
I am so happy we stayed at this Inn in Sturbridge. We would go back again tomorrow! We will recommend this place for a great stay in a historical inn. The location is perfect!

1 Thank dejemahan