“A Classic” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Sturbridge
NC - USA
“A Classic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

Went here for Christmas Day. Lovely. Great food. Great service and a classic New England setting. Probably the best Clam Chowder we've had - and we are picky. This is exactly what you'd hope for in a Sturbridge experience. Lovely, especially at the holidays. Try it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Davis, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

We booked the Publick House because we wanted to visit Old Sturbridge Village just a few miles down the road. The Publick House itself was packed with people and there were several events going on. The restaurants were all full. This was the Columbus Day weekend so that may have been why there were such crowds. Our reservation was actually at the motel section which was much quieter. It was a decent, clean, and large room. Ok for one night. Later that night we were able to have dinner at the Tavern and didn't have to wait long for a table. Tried the Indian Pudding which was great! Yummm..being from California I had never had it before. The next morning we had breakfast at the Tavern. It was all a good place to stay if you wanted to be near Old Sturbridge Village in the morning when it opened. Very convenient.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Hartford, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

We stayed at the Publick House to attend a wedding. Please note that my review is for the lodge rooms, and not the main building where weddings and other functions are held. While the historic inn was amazing, especially because it was decorated for the holiday season. It was very charming and rustic. However, the lodge rooms are in desperate need of updating. While I can understand how these rooms were nice 20 to 30 years ago, it doesn't seem that there have been any attempts to modernize the rooms since then. The rooms were very dark, with 70's themed wallpaper and old beds. While the room seemed generally clean, the upkeep of the outside of the rooms was nonexistent. Cobwebs, spiders and garbage were the most prevalent things that we saw. The outside "patio" was also littered with cigarette butts and burn marks on the carpet. Also, as many others have said, there were virtually no amenities. Thankfully we brought everything that we needed with us, so this wasn't a big issue. There were only a few stations that we could receive on the TV in the room, most of which only showed sports and nothing else. The air conditioner/heater unit was broken, and repeatedly changed from heat to a/c throughout the night. We also had a hard time finding ice. There was a sign on the door next to ours (probably a maitenance room) saying ice was in another building, which was not very convenient. We ended up getting sodas from the soda machine instead, but the sodas were frozen solid. By early the next morning, we were ready to get out of there and head home.

Overall, I would not recommend staying at this place, unless there is a wedding held on the property and you have a long drive home and / or decided to drink. Other than for a matter of convenience, it's really not worth the price you pay to stay there.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the lodge rooms if you can, but staying in the main inn can be pricey. Tell the pers...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Sturbridge hotels

Woodstock, Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013

We met with my brother and cousin on a cold winter day for lunch. The food was good, the dining room was warm, and the fire was delicious. The service was prompt and courteous. Our lunch was delivered quickly, was well prepared, and tasty. The best part about the restaurant was the historic setting, and the roaring fireplace. While I wouldn't recommend this restaurant for those looking for an exceptional culinary experience, it was a very pleasant way to spend an afternoon enjoying good food with good company.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Patriciagalfoodie
Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

I stopped here for lunch while traveling on business.

I was seated at a table for two with large comfortable armchairs.

Upon recommendation from my server, I had the Yankee pot roast, which was amazing.

Service and ambience were first rate as well.

I'm glad I stopped here.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

This is a review of the Lodge
I stayed in the Country Lodge which is dramatically distinct from the Historic Inn. The Lodge is less expensive (~20%) than the Inn but there is little or nothing antique (or quaint) about the Lodge. Stay there if you want to save the money, but plan to hike across the lawn (or drive) to reach the Inn for meals and entertainment. The Lodge might work well if you're planning a meeting or a retreat with meals/meetings in the Inn.
The air handler (both cooling and heating) in my Lodge room was very noisy; I turned it off for the night and left the spread on the bed for warmth. This worked ok and the temperature recovered quickly when I turned the heat on in the morning. The bathroom was clean and there was plenty of hot water.
If I go again, I'll pay the extra money to get a room in the Inn if it is available.
Note that the Sturbridge Commons and Old Burial Ground are a very short walk from the Lodge/Inn-check it out if that is your interest.....

Room Tip: Stay in the Inn if your budget allows
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mikegboston
Toms River, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

This was a half-way meeting spot for our family from New Jersey and Maine. We had a wonderful time. Most of us stayed in the motels behind the main historic house, very nice and reasonable rates (I think it was only 69/night). My brother and his wife stayed at the main house, more expensive and much smaller room. We enjoyed the downstairs pub with fireplace and couches, that is where we all met for the complimentary breakfast every morning. It was just coffee and baked goods. You could get a full breakfast upstairs in dining room with 20 % off. We had my Dad's 90th birthday party upstairs one night and it was perfect, the staff is wonderful, great food. I had the French onion soup twice while we were there, I loved it so much, once in the downstairs pub and once upstairs with dinner. On Thanksgiving day we went to the Old Sturbridge museum and the kids really loved it, great place. Plenty to do in the area if you like shopping and antiques. This is definitely going to be our meeting place for future family gatherings. So convenient just off Rt 84, easy to get to and out of. All the staff there from check in to check out was outstanding.

Room Tip: I asked for a first floor room because my Dad is 90 and they accommodated us plus put the rest of my...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family