Publick House Historic Inn
Super 8 Sturbridge(Sturbridge)(Great Value!)
US$111
US$144
Hampton.com
Scottish Inn Sturbridge(Sturbridge)(Great Value!)
US$73
US$113
US$81
US$77
Travelocity
All reviewsbake shopsticky bunspublic houseturkey dinnerthe main dining roomnew englandbread basketbaked goodsclam chowderstep back in timecoffee and pastriesprime ribpot roastmodern conveniencesold sturbridge villagewedding weekendbed was very comfortable
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My family spent Eadter at the Publick House. It was disgusting! Not only was the food to warm or cold it was just nasty. Cheat quality food. Water logged shrimp, soggy warm salad, cold can clam chowder, frozen desserts everything was gross. Getting a up of coffee was hell. One creamer for a table of 18.
My family looks forward to getting together for Easter. We travel from NY, Conn.and Mass. To be together. My family is kind enough to treat everyone. You should be ashamed and embarrassed. We will never come back or recommend your Inn to everyone

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 April 2014

My husband and I don't live but 40 minutes away from this place. However My daughter is getting married in mid May and our 5th wedding anniversary is in the 1st wk of April. So we decided to get a pet friendly room for our anniversary wk end to the same place, as we will be bringing our pet to the wedding weekend as well. We were greeted with smiles and warm hospitality. We were not sure where to check in as this is a rather large facility. We found the front desk personnel to be friendly and warm. We were given a map and also given information about the Inn and it's amenities as well. We got to our room and the only down side was that the sheets had stains near the foot of the bed. We called the front desk and less than 10 mins later someone was there to change the entire bedding. We would have changed rms but no other rm w/king size bed was pet friendly. We went to dinner in the tavern where we enjoyed a most wonderful dinner, and as it was our 5th Anniversary we went to the bar after where we had drinks to toast the occasion. Plenty of space in the rm and very century looking. A balcony from sliding glass doors however weather kept us inside most of the time. The lounge is located through the bakery on the back level, which we ate both nights and lunch on Sat. as the food was that good. Can't wait til my daughter's wedding to stay another 2 nights now that we know how hospitality and great service is. And a side note we were given a percentage off the 1st night I assumed it was for the inconvenience for the sheets. Would look to the Publick House for a weekend getaway any time we can go, even just to get away. It truly takes u back in time. I rate it a 10.

Room Tip: Those who have trouble with stairs be sure to ask for a 1st floor rm as there is no elevator.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2014

The Publick House Inn has history oozing out of every corner. I was warned not to stay in the lodge and requested a room in the Inn. It had a four poster bed and a flat screen TV - a nod to combining the old with the new. the room would have been a bit small for two people but since I was traveling alone it was fine. I also requested and received a small refrigerator. There is also an all suite building next to the inn that I heard had nice accommodations too. I took a walk around the property and saw the lodge, which was set way back from the main Inn on a hillside, and looked like a basic motel. Not desirable. There was an interesting gift shop next to the Inn that contained tons of cute items for sale and enabled me to wile away the better part of an hour. I printed off a two entrees for one coupon online and made a reservation for the main restaurant. However, since the tavern opened first for drinks, I decided to eat there at the bar. I was informed that normally the two for one deal was only for eat in but that they would make an exception for me since I was giving a seminar in the Inn the next day. I had the turkey dinner that night - it was just like any other Thanksgiving dinner and contained too much food. I loved the dark meat turkey and mashed potatoes. The dressing and squash was just okay and the white meat was too much. Took the white meat back to my room for breakfast the next morning. I also ordered the salmon for my second entree to take back to my room for lunch and the bartender, Catherine, wisely suggested I get it on top of salad. It was delicious and perfectly cooked. The next morning, there were complimentary muffins, sticky buns, pastries, and coffee in the bake shop. Overall, I was satisfied with my experience here. By the way, the wood burning fireplaces in the main restaurant and tavern filled the Inn with a sweet smell and took the edge off a chilly winter day.

Room Tip: Avoid the lodge.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I wish I had had the $45 coupon for the night in the Lodge from the reviewer who said "good value" as we would have felt much better about our stay.
While the original inn and tavern are lovely historic buildings, the lodge is in sore need of remodeling, new plumbing, fixtures and hot water would have been nice. However it was clean.
The food in the Tavern was good, every dish seemed old fashioned "stick to your ribs" fare which matches the ambience. Service was ok at bar and restaruant. The Bake Shoppe had some nice goodies. Recommend an overnight stay at another place and come here for a drink, brunch, lunch or dinner.

Room Tip: Not in the lodge
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank A P
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My husband & I stayed here for a weekend get away. This place has outstanding customer service from the front desk to the bakery. Everyone was extremely easy to talk to and welcoming. The rooms were very clean and stocked up on everything. The main restaurant has a nice menu selection and service was great. This was our second time staying here and we would highly recommend this place to anyone that enjoys to relax, go antiquing or even to just get away for a night.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple