“Nice old hotel”

Publick House Historic Inn
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Sturbridge
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel is made up of the original country inn, which only has about 8 rooms, and several motel style lodgings. We stayed in the motel part for a wedding. The exterior of these buildings are certainly dated and could use some TLC. Planters were all empty. The pool area looked nice enough. On the inside the rooms were a bit better kept and although dated, are very clean and comfortable. The public spaces of the hotel were quite nice and the food was very good at the wedding as well as their breakfast buffet. The dinner we had upon arrival on Friday night was relatively good.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Charlie S

Reviewed 7 June 2014

After many miles between stops we were referred to the Public House Inn for dinner by the front desk of our hotel. The property is over 235 years old and lacks nothing when it comes to "atmosphere". Even without reservations on a Saturday night we were seated right away. Our waitress, Shirley, was a gem! Warm, friendly and willing to take time to discuss the menu with us.

Nice selection of Scotches and wines. The menu was interesting and varied. We had the turkey dinner and roasted duck. Both were served quickly and to order. The size of both entrees was overwhelming. The combination of service, menu and price makes this eatery a top choice in the Strubridge area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank jjflan
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed here for a wedding. Had room number 5. Room was small, the ac didnt work. Dont carry lots of luggage, stairs only for the second floor. Paper thin walls. Thought someone was walking right thru my room around 4 am. If you have had a few drinks, be cautious, the floors are really really warped. No real door service to speak of, seems like kids running the place. Do yourself a favor and drop your bags off out front. Its a long haul to the rooms. Breakfast was standard buffet.The smoke detector in our room was over 30 years old, no smoke detector outside the bedroom (mass law), and no CO detectors. We opened the window due to lack of ac, it promptly slammed shut. Lots and lots of furniture in the tavern, especially chairs held together by screws. Someone is definitely not maintaining this place, but instead is just stringing it along. I would be surprised if they are still in business in 10 years. BUT, the bakery there is fabulous, and I will say the bed was very comfortable.

Room Tip: I couldn't give a tip as I read other reviewers and they said book the main house, we did, and y...
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Often, when my boyfriend and I head to points north (from central PA) we leave a day early so we can take an easy ride up, and usually look for somewhere to stop once we're inside Massachusetts. Our standards on trips like these are perfunctory, since we're just looking for a place to rest our weary heads. Recently we stopped at the Publick House Historic Inn and stayed in the lodge. (For the record, I have NO IDEA how the rooms are in the main house.)

Now. Our room was no great shakes, though it was super-spacious. I could have kicked the boyfriend out in the morning and done an entire Zumba routine there. It smelled a little musty when we first opened the door and sorely needed to be aired out, and I lose patience quickly with colonial-style toile wallpaper. Still, the door locked, the bed was clean, the price was right (I think we got the room for $79, or something) and once we let some air into the room the musty smell was gone.

The grounds were worth it. They were pretty to walk around and they had a big lawn that a family of fellow overnighters was playing catch on, which was cool to see. For lovers of things kind of creepy and/or Revolutionary War buffs, adjacent to the Inn's grounds sits an old cemetery that's the final resting spot for some Revolutionary War soldiers. And it's beautiful and serene, totally worth checking out.

We ate at their tavern, which was kind of spendy but yummy. I'm sure we could have walked into the Olde Village for something cheaper if we were so inclined, but meh, it was easier to pull up a bar stool and relax. I got their full-on turkey dinner. I love a full-on turkey dinner, though I did object to just how much sugar was in the mashed butternut squash (but I digress).

Anyway. We'd stay there again. We probably will stay there again on future jaunts northward. It'll be fine.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank beyondpaisley
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Fodor's travel guide described this inn as "rooms are Colonial in design, with wide plank floors, periord antiques and reporductions and canopy beds" Sounds good - right? Well, our room was nothing like that. The ceiling had water marks and stains, the arm chair was dirty, the wallpaper and sofa were not a match and the walls (and celiling) were so thin - we could hear every sound our neighbors made.

The grounds are nice, and the muffins and coffee offered for breakfast were included in the price. Dinner was nothing special and was expensive - eat dinner some where else.

Confusing signage that said "Exit" instead of "Exit and to additional rooms" really mixed us up and had us going in circles. If you want to go to Old Sturbridge Village, I suggest you find some where else to stay.

Room Tip: If you want to choose a good room - stay some placce else.
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Pros:
-Dog friendly
-Affordable
-Close to Brimfield Flea Market and other attractions
-Free coffee and pastries in the morning

Cons:
-Front desk staff did not have any information on Brimfield Flea Market (it was our first time going, is apparently one of the biggest flea markets in the country and a major tourist attractions, and the desk staff looked confused when I requested a map of the market or other information).
-Request for an early check-in not honored (it was pouring rain and we had our dog and did not want to take her outside... they took my phone number and said they would call when the room was ready... they never called... when I returned 3 hours later at 3:15pm -- 15 minutes after their stated check-in time -- they said they would "see if the room is ready yet" In other words, they didn't even remember that I had been there several hours earlier, called first thing that morning, etc.).
-Rooms in need of an update. Also very dark... the lighting is very low, giving it a "dingy" feeling.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sean C
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Just loved staying here. Room 4 in the main house. The room was amazing. I felt like Patrick Henry or Thomas Jefferson had just checked out. The wide pine floors, poster bed and small desk all help create the colonial feel.
The restaurant was also very good. This too was very well decorated to also give the feel that you are enjoying a meal in 1770. Huge fireplace from ceiling to floor and at least 12' long.
If you love history and like to dream what it would be like to live during that time, stay here, it's incredible.....

• Stayed: May 2014