“Exceptional staff and super clean”

Comfort Inn and Suites Colonial
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Sturbridge
“Exceptional staff and super clean”
Reviewed 26 January 2012

I needed a place to stay for 2 nights this week for a business event, and based on other TripAdvisor reviews I selected this Comfort Inn. I was greeted by Nick when I arrived, who was beyond friendly and welcoming. He answered my questions which ranged from thing to do and places to dine in the area to where the slightly hard to find button is for the hot tub. The room was clean, spacious and quiet, and throught my stay each staff member was friendly and helpful. The 24 hour coffee/tea in the lobby was a great added touch. I look forward to a future stay!

• Stayed January 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Barnstable, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 January 2012

In Oct. 2011 my husband and I had plans to visit Sturbridge Village. After checking out so very many, many, hotels I picked this one primarily because the comments in Trip advisor as to how clean it was. My husband and I found us so happy with the place. Great staff, great breakfast, warm perfect pool (two pools, 1 outside) And yes so very CLEAN! I can't say if any other Comfort Inn & Suites are this nice and this clean and well priced this is the only one we have been too. Yet we have now been their 3 times since Oct. 2011. We went back a week B-4 Chirstmas for a wonderful candlelight walk at Sturbridge Village, and again last week Jan. 17, 2012 just for the chance to get away!

Room Tip: This last trip we had a fireplace suite. I loved it..
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We have been staying here for a few years, ever since the Sturbridge Host went downhill. We're from Long Island and enjoy taking the ferry over to Bridgeport and then only having a 2 hour drive for a long get-away weekend. This hotel is the "real deal." The staff is friendly and accommodating, always, and the property is one of the best we've stayed at. Our two room suite had a fireplace which was delightful and made the room even more cozy. The breakfast is very good with a nice selection and the attendant is very personable and helpful. We were greeted with a cheery "Good Morning!" each day when we entered the breakfast room and an offer to help with anything we needed. My husband didn't think they were "real" scrambled eggs but being a chef, I told him - "Duh, think about it!" Sprinkle on a little S&P and they are fine - It's FREE after all. We are Gold Choice Privileges members now but plan to be Platinum by the end of this year. We love Comfort Suites properties! This one is a perfect example of why we do! You won't be disappointed with this hotel. Trust us. We even decided to stay an extra night to take advantage of the pool and hot tub. Ahhhhh, now that's a relaxing weekend!

Room Tip: People with pets are assigned to an outside separate 1 story motel unit. Kudos to the hotel for mak...
1 Thank Jet Gal
maine
Reviewed 6 January 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night on our trip back to Maine from Florida. We were so tired after hours of driving and felt very lucky to find this hotel. We were warmly welcomed and taken care of. It was a very cold night, but when we walked into the lobby it was warm and smelled so clean. Our room also was spotless and comfortable with a nice view of the river and woods below.
We slept very well. Even the hot breakfast in the morning was a step up from the usual motel experience.

Vincentown
Reviewed 29 December 2011

It is no wonder they were voted the BEST COMFORT INN a few years ago. It is well maintained, affords the best breakfast, terrific atmosphere, and very clean room. We stopped in during the Christmas holiday and it really gave one the spirit of Christmas. Staff was amiable, wonderful pool, and exercise room. Would stay again on our way up to Maine and/or back.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed 10 December 2011

This Hotel charged my card 4 times, while my family was moving from Maine to Florida.

Angela Height, the assistant GM refused, REFUSED to remove them, leaving us stranded, and her reply was she is not responsible, and after yelling at me, hung up !.

These are the most uncaring, incredibly unethical bunch and I warn all to drive right by and find anywhere else!

Room Tip: avoid like the plague!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank NaomiRagan
GM-CISC, General Manager at Comfort Inn and Suites Colonial, responded to this review, 5 January 2012
I was away attending an industry related meeting when this guest initially called us. I was not personally involved until I received a voice mail from this guest and subsequently spoke with her later the same day. I cannot really speak to what took place with my assistant first hand, but I can say, based on a four and a half year working relationship, that Angela has always conducted herself professionally in all types of situations. I have received numerous compliments, about her friendliness, helpfulness and work ethnic from other guests, but never a single complaint prior to this.

I do sincerely feel sympathetic towards this guest for the ordeal they experienced. This family was utilizing prepaid gift cards they had purchased solely for use during their move from the northeast to the south. A move, even one that goes smoothly, is a very stressful time especially with little ones along for the ride. However, we did not place four charges to this guest’s prepaid gift card.

After a many phone calls and a lot of research, we found three very troubling discrepancies with this situation:

1. We did not have authorizations in our system in the dollar amounts listed on the guest’s statement. We searched our online credit card processing portal as well as called our processing company to verify this truth.

2. The guest’s statement lists the three unknown authorizations as coming from “Comfort Inn & Suites Sturbridge US”, which is a different description than we use. Our description is “Comfort Inn & Suites Sturbridge, MA”. This could be verified by the guest by looking at the line on the statement with our actual charge. (The one and only charge we actually made to the guest’s gift card.)

3. Any bank we’ve ever worked with will release a hold from an authorization once we state in writing the only charge(s) we will settle on. We did this at the guest’s request. Also, any unsettled authorizations are typically released in 5-7 business days. The guest stated she was initially told 7 business days, but when she called on the 8th business day to follow-up, this was changed to 30 business days. I have never heard of a hold taking that long to be released and I handle things like this for a living.

If I were in Naomi Ragan’s shoes, I would be very angry and frustrated too… primarily at the issuer of my gift card. That said, I know that anytime we haven’t met or exceeded the expectations of our customers that we aren’t doing our jobs very well. I committed myself to helping to resolve this problem. I followed up twice with this guest via email and never heard back from them.

Best regards,
Tory Pucci
Indianapolis, In
Reviewed 27 November 2011

I would like to ask the Choice management why all Choice hotels aren't like this one. My husband is a Choice member & we've had a wide range of experience. This was an excellent, very clean, comfortable hotel. Good internet service. Great breakfast. Nice tv. Very good front desk staff. We were at the end of an 18 day trip to New England and Nova Scotia - we left our camera in the lobby. I called the hotel & they mailed it to us. I can see why this was 2008 Comfort Inn of the Year.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sturbridge
Old Sturbridge Inn & Reeder Family Lodges
#5 of 14 in Sturbridge
Days Inn Sturbridge
Days Inn Sturbridge
#10 of 14 in Sturbridge

Been to Comfort Inn and Suites Colonial? Share your experiences!