Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center
Super 8 Sturbridge(Sturbridge)(Great Value!)
US$111
US$144
Hampton.com
US$120
US$138
US$116
Scottish Inn Sturbridge(Sturbridge)(Great Value!)
US$73
US$83
US$80
US$77
Travelocity
All reviewsoxhead tavernpaddle boatsvip loungebeautiful lakeconference centerdog showsturbridge villagenew englandbit datedpool and hot tubfire pitcatherinejoecedarretreatbostonma
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Hotel was beautiful had food at the vip lounge. Food was great and the bartender Diana was the best. She went above and beyond to make sure we were taking care of. Very personable and a kind wonderful person. She made the night enjoyable. Hats off to a wonderful person.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
ManagerSturbridge_MA, Manager at Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Thank you for your kind words of praise. It truly is the people that make all the difference. Thank you for noticing.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

I just did a one night stay at the Sturbridge Host Hotel and Conference Center. This is most definitely an off-season for them. It made me wonder what the hotel is like during the summer when attractions like the local Sturbridge Village are in full swing, and also what the hotel is like when the dynamic of people impact the surroundings.
The resort is more than a roadside motel. I imagined as I walked through the cavernous atrium with its homey verandas overlooking the pool and dining cabanas that it must have buzzed with families enjoying some time away. At that moment it was just a dark, deserted village lacking all life. It is a place that time forgot. Hallway carpeting had passed it’s prime, trim and doors needed a spruce of paint, an out of order ice machine in a hall looked monstrous. The use of CFC bulbs in hall fixtures glare their blue, commercial light on the décor sucking any color out of the already washed out color. Some items were obviously in need of deferred maintenance.
My room was pleasant. The bed, though only a double (a two double bed room) was comfortable and firm. There were plenty of pillows. The balcony on the atrium was a nice touch, but again, the deadness of the public area was depressing and nostalgic. As mentioned previously, the TV was an old 27” tube model with one of those things that I really hate – a menu screen with less than obvious directions to simple broadcast cable. Oh, and the housekeeper left a handwritten envelope for a gratuity on the desk.
I truly would like to see this property thrive. I came away wanting to return to see if it actually has some life in it. I would long to see the owners invest heavily in renovations that would lighten the resort, clean up the maintenance issues, and refurbish the property to its obvious once greatness.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank RiverRev
ManagerSturbridge_MA, Manager at Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Thank you for your candid and constructive feedback. We were pleased that your room and bed was especially comfortable. We hope you will return during the summer months when the hotel is buzzing with energy. We have live bands on the beach every weekend in the summer. Please come back - we're sure you'll enjoy the time!

Reviewed 7 February 2014

This is a sprawling property, so your mileage may vary. When I reserved by phone, I requested a pet-friendly room facing the lake with sliding doors to the outside. (My husband and I had stayed here some years ago and found it convenient to go in and out with our dog from that section.) When we arrived, we were assigned to a totally different section, way in back near a large propane tank, with the entrance at the end of a long hall. I figured it was for one night and maybe they had different pet sections now. (Later, when walking the property, I overheard a little yapper dog from one of the rooms in the requested section, so maybe they try to spread out dog rooms to avoid too much noise.) In any case, our room had a comfortable configuration, with a sunken living room, a few steps below the bedroom and bathroom level. We had take-out sushi for dinner, so it was nice to have more than the bed and a chair to perch on. One problem with the room was temperature regulation. We like things pretty cool, especially at night, but when it got too cold, we found the heater unbearably loud for sleeping. The bedding was too thin for our usual sleeping temperature, so we had the choice all night of being frozen or awake from the noisy fan. Had we not been located in the resort's version of Siberia, I might have tried to rustle up more blankets, but in the time it would have taken to get them, dawn would have arrived. All in all, the place just feels kind of worn and overpriced. The other local pet-friendly hotel was closed for renovation, so this was our option. Should there be another time, I will be more insistent on room location and be sure extra blankets are handy before we tuck in.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tellurian

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent visit with us. Indeed we do have a "special" section for our pet friendly rooms. This allows us to obligate other rooms for those guests who may have allergies to pets. I hope there is a next time here for you and please ask for the Manager On Duty and we will be sure you get everything you need.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

Fantastic hotel, staff, on site restaurant, housekeeping. Everything was fantastic EXCEPT the VIP onsite lounge. The bartender who worked Sat night at 8:00 informed me and my guest she was closing because it was slow and that she was closing NOW. She was annoyed that we asked her for 1 drink and esp annoyed when she had to get some ingredients that she already had put away. And when I asked about the superbowl the next day how late she was going to be open, she said she wasn't going to be open for that either. When booking this hotel I specifically wanted some place that had an on site lounge as we will not drive anywhere when drinking. I was told that it would be open till at least 10 pm, and if slow, close after that. She was rude and it sounds like she was picking and choosing when this lounge would close. Fortunately we went back to the restaurant on site and they said they have heard complaints about this particular bartender at the resort and would accommodate us, which was equally as slow. Please do NOT Advertise hours of a lounge if the bartender can dictate when the facility will close. I would certainly have booked somewhere else, unfortunately because everything else about this resort was decent.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WLJ1955

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience in our lounge. Please rest assured, corrective action has been taken to ensure this does not happen again. We appreciate your feedback as it helps us to better focus our efforts on improvements.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

This is the 11th or 11th year we have come for a large family weekend the weekend after New Years. We have always had a great time and the staff has always been particularly helpful. We always are happy to see Joe behind the check -in desk. He is prompt, pleasant and efficient. You are lucky to have him. We also had a great relationship with Billie in arranging the proper rooms and any other issues that required attention. We look forward to coming again next year.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Richard D
ManagerSturbridge_MA, Manager at Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed this year's reunion. We look forward to hosting you and your family every year. Thanks too for noticing our great staff. It truly is the people that make all the difference. We look forward to next year!