“We will return for another family reunion here.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center

Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Sturbridge
Hooksett, New Hampshire
“We will return for another family reunion here.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Thank you to all who posted positive reviews about the Sturbridge Host. Having read a few bad reviews, we hesitated about planning our family reunion for this hotel, but we went ahead because the location is very good for us, and because it offers lake swimming, grass for the little ones to play on, a pool, and the Oxhead Restaurant next door, a regular stop for family members when in town...We spent the long July 4th weekend there, and my family had a great time. Is it all freshly painted and newly carpeted? No, but neither is it shoddy, in my experience. (I did see a couple of places where the carpet had duct tape for safety reasons, and the pool's appearance did not tempt me, although the kids had a good time in it.) Our family members were very happy with our rooms, (second floor, back door access.) My adult children showed me the quick route to the lobby, convincing me that the layout was well-designed. My brother's family had poolside rooms and they were pleased that the rooms didn't smell too strongly (in their opinions) of chlorine. One of my cousins had a lakeside room with the loveliest view. She was pleased. Just don't expect newly-renovated decor or a flat-screen TV. It's clean and decent.
What really made it for us, though, was the staff. I have to mention Lisa, our waitress for breakfast at the Greenhouse in the hotel. She and hostess Andrea took good care of us, setting aside an area for us to meet and eat with family members, and encouraging us to linger as long as we wished over coffee. The staff at the Sturbridge Host went out of their way to facilitate our reunion. One of my sons with an 18-month old (whose schedule was already shot) didn't want to coop him up in a restaurant. My kids discovered picnic tables by the lake and got take-out from an awesome rib place. The next night we all planned to do that, but it rained hard. My sister-in-law asked if they might have a space we could use and they offered us an empty dining space, free of charge. Because it was next to the bar, they asked us to not bring in alcohol, but to buy it from them. Very fair! Then they brought us in paper plates and utensils. They were so awesome. In my book, the Sturbridge Host lives up to its name. We all agree we will go back for our next reunion.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Martha W
ManagerSturbridge_MA, Manager at Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know what a great time you had with your family. All of our staff strives to go the extra mile to make our guests happy. We were pleased to hear that you were well cared for. Thanks again and we look forward to another opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Finnish first
Springfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

This year (May 2014) we chose the Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center in Sturbridge Massachusetts to hold the biennial Staff Conference which was attended by approximately 55 employees. We worked with the excellent Catering Sales Manager #1 on getting the event and meal details in order and shortly thereafter she resigned. A little nervous about how this would affect the event, the new and very excellent Catering Sales Manager #2, Phillip, and staff provided a seamless transition and ensured that the event was everything that we were expecting. Phillip, Aaron and the staff made certain that every detail was attended to. We had excellent service, food and conference room. The location is great and easy to get to and the room rates were very reasonable. The rooms were very nice. Ask for a lake view which is a nice bonus. I would highly recommend this conference center. I know we will look to the Sturbridge Host to hold future events.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a lake view they are very nice.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Cathy O
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent conference with us. We were very pleased to hear that the transitions from Sales person to Sales person went very smoothly. Thank you too for the kind words of praise for our staff. It truly is the people that make all the difference. Our central location lends itself well to people travelling across the state too!
Portola Valley, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

I've stayed at the hotel twice in the last year for one night at a time which is about all i would be able to stand. All the comments about age, condition, gloominess etc are true. I only stay there because of the convenience to the interstate when i am bringing my daughter to school. I will probably continue to stay there because the prices of other "bargain" hotels in the area are also excessive. The food at the hotel and the restaurant across the lawn from the hotel is just okay. The view of the lake is the nicest feature really. With that said I will say that our room was clean and did not smell of dust or other mustiness which is important to me as I get headaches from dust. The high speed wifi was a real plus as well and the room temperature was good. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who goes into staying there with reasonable to low expectations - unfortunately. And I will likely stay again due to the convenience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mkt
ManagerSturbridge_MA, Manager at Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We have shared your comments with our Executive Team for review. We were pleased that you liked your room and we look froward to an opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Travellers are raving about these Sturbridge hotels

Providence, Rhode Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

I have been staying at this hotel since the late 70's. Back then it was a Sheraton. In addition to overnight getaways with my own family, I have organized a group celebration each New Year's Eve. There have been years with up to 10 families getting rooms around the interior pool and memories of my children and grandchildren ringing in the New Year. So, I have seen the best of times and now I hate to say that I am seeing the worst of times. The current ownership has done a poor job of updating/renovating the rooms. And, although I can't complain about the housekeeping staff - the rooms are typically clean, I will complain about rusty hinges in the bathrooms, old TVs (I was told just last week during a stay that none of the rooms have flat screens yet), and carpeting that is worn and wrinkly, ice machines that were removed and not replaced, outside window casings with peeling paint and interior windows that are foggy due to broken seals. My room last week was on the second floor overlooking the pool. Friends who were there with us pointed out the discoloration of the pool cement - they originally thought the water was dirty. I also noticed the bottom of the pool appeared to have a large piece of cement missing. Unfortunately the only positive I can give at this time is the location. The cost of the rooms is too high for the continued decline. It appears to me that the owners have no intention to bring this once beautiful hotel back to its glory days. I am sorry to say that I can no longer recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you really must stay here then ask for a room around the interior courtyard. You will at least h...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bee53
ManagerSturbridge_MA, Manager at Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We have shared our comments with our Executive Team for review.
Metairie, Louisiana, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

I really need to say that I feel awful for the people that work here, they must get complaintablet constantly as this hitem is not 3 stars. I have stayed at hotels that were 3 stars with a full kitchen and balcony. That being said the staff were friendly but in the room was a tip envelope from the maid. This irritated me because I killed 3 spiders, two fruit flies and more mosquitos than I care to admit.the curtains had stains and more spiderwebs. I made the mistake of dropping my wedding ring and when I reached on the floor to get it I encountered yet again another spiderweb. The staff offered to move me to a balcony room but I didn't feel like movin and killing more bugs. They should tear this place down and start over. They must've spent the renovation money on the excessive lattice and enclosing the bleachy pool. One more thing. The beds are total garbage and I asked for extra pillows and the two they gave me didn't gave pillowcases. This place is terrible.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Elisa L
We are so sorry for the mosquitos in your room. Inasmuch as we sit on a lake it's not uncommon if you leave the slider door open at night.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

ITs old, (but not in a good way)
I forget why I stayed here but I did- and you should avoid it...This place hosts all kinds of wacky
cat shows, and it has huge overflow of stinky hot summer vendors from the Brimfield Flea Market stay there- consequently its in need of a huge OVERHAUL!
I've stayed in old Inns and Bed and Breakfasts that at least were remodeled since the 50's when this place was probably built...go for something more modern- trust me...plenty of other places, just dont go during flea markets (4x every year) or else book a year in advance- and prices go up at most of the hotels there during peak season...
dump this one

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank NewOrleansDoreen
ManagerSturbridge_MA, Manager at Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations.
Hartford, Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Only 1 person at the front desk can help you any further than hello, If you don't get that person all you get is I Don't Know...The hotel is OLD very OLD, It needed to be updated 15 years ago.
They could sell mold to make money as they have enough all over the hotel that they would be rich.
The staff is friendly but slow and I think they run at minimum staffing. They do try but the Hotel is so old and everything is so warn out they don't have much of a chance to make things right.
Would it kill you to have a screen on the sliding doors, I would have loved to leave my door open but the bugs took over the room because they have no screens on the sliding doors.
The grounds are very nice and this could be a huge help if they renovated the hotel.

The sign to the pool says you will be arrested if you enter after its closed and a LOUD alarm sounds. This was very funny!..You don't have much choice in this area but this is one not to concider if you need to stay somewhere.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view in the rear are quiet
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tom W
Thank you for your feedback. We have shared your comments with our Executive Team for review. We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sturbridge
Old Sturbridge Inn & Reeder Family Lodges
Days Inn Sturbridge
Days Inn Sturbridge
#10 of 13 in Sturbridge
Southbridge Hotel And Conference Center

Been to Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!