“Not as bad as I thought it would be based on some reviews”

Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Sturbridge
Milton, New York
“Not as bad as I thought it would be based on some reviews”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2009

Having read other reviews I was worried but it wasn't that bad. Yes it is older and needs some work in the common areas. My room was clean, lots of hot water. The air conditioner worked great. Room was off the pool and can be a bit noisy but it wasn't too bad as the pool closed at 9. They did not have a free paper and i would not eat the breakfast buffet there again but there are fast food places nearby where you can get breakfast. The lake looked nice. Very well located.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Elphaba6
ManagerSturbridge_MA, Manager at Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 28 August 2009
We encourage our guests to offer feedback and we take it seriously into consideration. We have some new and improved breakfast items to offer which have been very well received by all of our clientele. Our Culinary Team prides themselves on fresh, quality food and we continually strive for outstanding customer service.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Finnish first
Naugatuck, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2009

My mother and I have been to this hotel at least 7or 8 times over the past few years.We have stayed there in the Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter.
(My mother has health problems and gets nervous going too far away from home. The Sturbridge Host Hotel is only an hour & a half away from home, but just far enough away to be in another state.)
The staff is always warm and friendly, check-in and check-out has always been a breeze. They have on occassion let us check in early or check out late.
We always get a room on the 1st Floor (no stairs for Mom) with a sliding glass door overlooking the beautiful lake. It is especially beautiful in the fall! In the summer I've seen many brides posing by the dock for their wedding pictures before going into the hotel for their reception.
The room is always perfectly clean and cozy with two double beds (clean and comfortable)and usually there is a mini fridge in the corner of the room.(great for snacks & leftovers from dinner)
The lobby and the atrium with the pool are beautiful. There are four great places to eat on the property. There's a lounge that has great soup and snacky kinds of food, a breakfast restaurant that has a pretty decent buffet (I always eat too much), a formal restaurant off the lobby that is very pleasant, and our Favorite restaurant The Ox-Head Tavern which is about 25 steps from our sliding glass door in our room. It is a lovely rustic looking place that has a beautiful fireplace burning in the fall and winter. The waitstaff is always friendly. They go out their way to get us a table near the fireplace, put more logs on for us, talk with us about their own experiences etc. Some of the food is great - some not. Mom ordered a deep fried appetizer that was supposed to be crab or scallop or something and it turned out to be that seafood salad stuff that get's mushy when you cook it. Yuck! But the waitress happily took it off our bill.
What we always order is their Yankee Pot Roast. I swear it could be the best in the world. They slow cook it so that it has the yummiest flavor and is so tender, you don't even need a knife to cut it.
One time I couldn't get us a reservation at the Host Hotel, so I got us a room at a nearby motel (nowhere near as nice) just so that we could go out to dinner at the Ox-Head Tavern.
There are also fun things to do in the area. There is Sturbridge Village which is a very famous tourist attraction. It is a re creation of an old New England Village with costumed actors working and doing all the things they would have been doing back then. They stay in character as they discuss what they are doing - blacksmith, leather worker, etc. Kids from all the surrounding states go on school trips to Sturbridge Village. I know I did.
Also, there are a few cute little shops nearby that you don't want to miss. There is a Crabtree & Evelyn outlet store, there are only I think 2 others in the country. There is a yankee candle outlet store, and there are a couple of candy - gift shop stores.
If you are Catholic (or even if you're not) there is the lovely Saint Anne's Shrine that has such beautiful grounds and statues and a path to walk the Stations of the Cross.
All of these things seem to be less than a mile from the hotel. This is a perfect place to spend a couple of nights for a little getaway.
Oh and a word to the wise, after reading some other reviews- No matter how clean and sparkly a room looks, (and it should) Bring a plastic canister filled with disinfecting wipes. Whenever you go into a new hotel room, wipe down absolutely everything you think you will touch. toilet, sink, counter, doorknobs, lightswitches, TV remote,radio, etc. I promise you it will only take 3 minutes at the most, and will give you peace of mind. I as always will bring mine when we go back next month in August.

• Stayed October 2008
1 Thank DebbieBirchard
Vermont
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2009

We just returned from staying with our extended family at this hotel. The lobby area is fine, but once you leave the lobby, the hallways and stairwells are filthy. The room was dirty, the carpet dingy and stained, and gum was stuck to the window frame. We asked housekeeping to replenish supplies in the room as well as remove the gum, and they didn't do either. The mini golf course is falling apart, the walkways around the outside of the building are crumbling. The air conditioning doesn't work in the common areas, so when you go into the hallways, it is so hot it almost takes your breath away.

We also had a family event in one of the conference rooms. The lunch arrived later than booked but the food was fine. The chairs in the conference room were absolutely disgusting, to the point of not really wanting to sit on them. When the hotel was asked to change them, they said they didn't have any other chairs.

The lake was lovely.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
We now have a completely renovated hotel. The second phase, which included the halls and stairwells, has just been finished and it looks great! So if it's family fun, friends getting together or traveling on business, you will be very pleased with your choice to stay with us.

Travellers are raving about these Sturbridge hotels

boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2009

We attended the Dance Ovations Nationals Competition and stayed at the Sturbridge Host Hotel and Conference Center on Sunday to make sure we were there in time for the Convention preliminaries. I found the room clean and the hotel very nice. The staff at the front desk were very kind and helpful. I booked my room after the the cut off for group rates and had to book a more expensive rate. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I was given the group rate when I checked in, with the economy being so bad this really helped me out. I will highly recommend your hotel to people traveling to the Sturbrige area. This hotel is a lovely place for families, with the lake to swim in and an indoor pool it is a wonderful place to stay!!

• Stayed July 2009
1 Thank Dancemom123
Conneaut Lake, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2009

Was a very nice place to stay but has its down sides. Cost was very high and if you are looking to relax and unwind plan on hitting the store next door. Bar closes early but there are some nice things to see during the day. Ox head has ok food but nothing to write home about.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
London, England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2009

Regarding our recent stay at Sturbridge Host Hotel. We were extremely disappointed with the standard of the hotel. The room we were allocated was far from clean, with a multitude of red and brown stains all over the carpet not unlike the scene of a violent crime! There were also marks all over the walls which I am sure could have been cleaned quite simply with a little effort. The room and indeed the whole hotel smelled damp and musty and looked in need of a complete refurbishment. We have travelled quite extensively in the US, and in the last 2 years we have stayed at 14 different hotels. On this trip alone staying in seven different places, and have never to date had cause to complain about any hotel. Our stay at Sturbridge was without doubt the low point of our trip and had we intended staying more than one night we would have checked out immediately on arrival!
We will certainly warn our friends to stay well clear of this hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Nailpolish is just impossible to remove from a rug!

All of our guest rooms have been renovated over the past year. From beds and down comforters to new bureaus and carpeting; your comfort is our goal. And your feedback is important to us as we continuously strive to improve.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2009

We have stayed at the Host before on our way here and there, and were there two weeks ago for a family gathering. I feel really bad, because I had actually recommended the place and reviewed it on here as well.

First, let me say that we stayed on the "dog wing." We Always stay on the "dog wing" and until this stay never had a problem. Now, just because one has a dog, it does not mean one is dirty, or that one's house is dirty. My dog is cleaner than my kid. It also does not mean that one wants to pay a lot of money for a dirty, sticky, filthy room. But that is what we got.

Every surface we touched - the door jambs, the doors, the counters, even the alarm clock - was covered with stickiness. I don't know what the stickiness was. The carpet did not pass the white sock test, either. The bathroom ceiling was caving in. There was water damage to the walls. The air conditioning was damp and the condenser did not work properly. There was no iron.

And I don't even want to think about what the scum was that was all over the chair - sorry the photo is lousy - that's just one spot, believe me, the stuff was ALL OVER it.

We were told the hotel was "booked solid" - although I can tell you that there were definitely rooms on our hall that weren't occupied. We know those things in a "dog wing." I cannot imagine the condition they were in.

Rooms that others in our party had were not as bad (but some did have their moments, and I will leave those for them to tell). They, however, were not on the "dog wing." If a hotel is going to have dogs allowed, that does not mean those rooms should be dirty or lacking compared to the other rooms. It means you should clean them twice, or that someone should inspect them, if you are worried about dirt caused by animals. That is why we pay $25 a night to take our dog there (a little bitty thing that doesn't shed and is quiet and housebroken).

Management needs to have some respect for people paying $180 a night for a room, and not deliver something we could get at the local NoTell for $50. Management and housekeeping, in their lack of care, did more damage to their reputation than my dog could EVER do to their room.

Oh, and service was slower than a turtle in the restaurant. Hostess did Not want to be there, her attitude was pretty clear on that.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
ManagerSturbridge_MA, Manager at Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 28 July 2009
The hallway of rooms designated for guests travelling with pets has sliding glass doors on all of the rooms which leads to grassy areas that are very pet friendly. Our hotel is set back on a lake so we have a large outside area for pets to enjoy. Occassionally with an over abundance of rain like this summer, some of the rooms may have retained moisture causing areas to seem sticky. We have since deep cleaned these rooms and have place de-humidifiers to reduce moisture. As we continuously strive to improve ourselves, we thank you for your feedback.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sturbridge
Old Sturbridge Inn & Reeder Family Lodges
#5 of 13 in Sturbridge
Days Inn Sturbridge
Days Inn Sturbridge
#10 of 13 in Sturbridge

Been to Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!