“Needs new AC”

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Sturbridge
Middletown, Connecticut
“Needs new AC”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Other than that, not too bad. Pretty clean, with hardwood-looking floors instead of carpeting which is great. Had a nice view of the water off a balcony we were afraid to step on - old plywood - but it ended up being sturdy. Not sure what they used to clean the room but it absolutely reeked & took a while of having both doors open & a good breeze to get rid of it. Location is great, desk staff was nice.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lyobov

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Idaho Falls
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We're traveling cross country, staying at Days Inn. We decided to try this Super 8 since it is also part of Wyndham. We looked up the AARP rate and saw a 20% savings. However, when we got to the motel and asked for the AARP rate they mischarged us and gave us only 10% off which I didn't notice until I got into the room and checked it. An hour later when I called the desk and pointed this out they told me that the 20% was only an on-line rate. I offered to go on-line and make a reservation (lots of rooms available) but was told that I couldn't since I had already checked in. I was told to speak to the manager in the morning. When I spoke to the manager, Anthony, he told me that it was clearly only an on-line rate, implying that I should know better. I gave up, but re-checked on-line. I could not find anywhere that the AARP rate is only an on-line rate...it says "member benefits" rate for AARP. In fact the internet rate for "best available" is the same on-line as what I was quoted at the motel, so one would assume that it holds true for all rates..

So, your manager, Anthony, has cost you another customer. And it's not the money, it's the attitude and telling me that it's clear on the internet. It's not, and I even offered to go on-line and rebook.

I suggest you clarify this policy and let travelers know that they won't get the AARP on-line rate, if they just ask for the AARP rate at the motel; if that is indeed the case. If not you may want to have a talk with Anthony.

I will avoid Super 8 from now on. Anthony knows, but may not care.

Just another footnote: I told Anthony that before we had checked out a cleaning person barged into our room. He quickly apologized, but there is a communication problem with the staff. They should not be cleaning our room before we leave.

I hope this is helpful. All was nice except for the management.

Barrett Short

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Kozlo, Manager at Super 8 Sturbridge, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you for visiting us. I'm sorry we didn't live up to your expectations. However, as it has been explained to you earlier, three times, you were not mischarged. Our walk-in AARP rate has always been and will always be 10%. To receive the 20%, you need to make your reservation through the internet or at AARP offices. You have informed Anthony that a cleaning person broke into your room while you outside your room with the door open. That was immediately looked into and our head housekeeper said no one was cleaning any rooms on that side of the building at the time of the incident. We did have maintenance personnel remodeling in a room a few doors down and walked by to gather materials but did not enter your room. You are entitled to how you perceive our employee's attitude, however, assessing this seems more as a strong inherent inclination toward the outcome of the situation.
Stoneham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We spent one night here after visiting Old Sturbridge Village. I am giving it 4 stars based on what it is ( a chain motel) and the renovations that are in progress. If you want luxury this is not for you. If you want a clean, reasonably priced, good sized room, with comfortable queen beds, refrigerator, microwave, and a bathroom that was recently done over, give this place a try. The condition of the room we were in wasn't bad, and yet they are getting ready to re-wallpaper and paint. Hopefully they will provide more comfortable chairs, new lamps,and full-sized pillows.

The extended continental breakfast included scrambled eggs, sausages, and delicious make your own waffles. it has a great location with restaurants and stores within easy walking distance. It is about a ten minute walk (or a two minute ride) to Old Sturbridge Village.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bcnett
Kozlo, Manager at Super 8 Sturbridge, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for your comments and for staying us while you were in Sturbridge. Yes, we definitely will be getting new lamps and all new furniture as well. I'm positive that you will appreciate our new look once we are done with our renovations.