“Nature closeby”

Purgatory Chasm State Reservation
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Sutton
Reviewed 20 July 2014

A great natural getaway. Sometimes too many people, which for me defeats the purpose.........................................................................................................................

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

I had an 11 yr old, 8 yo and 7yo and they had such a great time. I had been there a few times years before so I was rather disappointed in myself for wearing flip flops. DO NOT WEAR FLlP FLOPS. The kids loved climbing and the area is really beautiful!

Reviewed 28 June 2014

The Chasm path is a challenging scramble over a rocky path. There are other easier paths to hike as well. Very pretty.

Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

I still get nervous with my 4 & 5 year olds on some of the steep areas, but we love climbing on the rocks, hiking the trails, and playing at the playground. Last year I brought out of town guests who thought it was dangerous and that I was crazy bringing small kids here. However, I grew up coming here, and my kids don't have any problems with the trails, we just stay away from the ledges.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

If you are in the area and into hiking, stop at Purgatory Chasm and do the trail! Its a 1/2 mile walk on boulders, great exercise and so pretty! Make sure you are in good health though. I took my grandchildren, this was my first time doing the trail but they had done it numerous times before. You have to pay attention while climbing so you don't slip. I wouldn't recommend doing it when the rocks are wet though.