“A lot of potential BUT a lot of buts”

Anthony's Pier 4 Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Anthony's Pier 4 Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 38 Restaurants in Swampscott
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Rt. 129
Reviewed 25 January 2013

It is a lovely location and the view was lovely, especially on a cold clear night when the moon was almost full. There were eight of us....first mistake...with a dinning room that was almost empty they placed our party at a round table right next to the glass on the coldest night this winter....who wants to sit to dinner wearing their coat. Meal started well...the hot popovers with but were a big hit would have been nice if they offered seconds , soup was great ,the salads were good sized, fresh, and yummy, the curried fried oysters we excellent "to die for". after an extended wait our entrees arrived. One was returned to kitchen as totally tasteless. Of the seven remaining entrees one was hot, one was warm and all the others were room temperature. 2 people ordered lamb rare ...by the time it was served it was overcooked and room temperature. My guess is that it came off the grill and then sat in the kitchen too long under a heat lamp. Several side dishes were sent back to the kitchen with the request to zap it in the microwave....The food tasted good (with the exception of the one tasteless dish). Who ever was covering the kitchen knew how to cook but still had a lot to learn about timing. My partners comment was "absentee management" . If the place had been jammed or if we were a large party I could understand the delay and some of the problems but the place was almost empty there were only 8 of use and we ordered before 6:30. This should have been a breeze for a place this size. If you try this restaurant My suggestion is Stick to the Bar/Tavern menu and forget the entrees..... All the pieces are there for this to be a terrific and popular place but someone needs to pull it all together.

Reviewed 21 September 2012

I live 20 minutes from here..not a good place to eat .PERIOD This place is pricey for poor service . My sister chipped her tooth on a rock in her food and all they offered her was a free drink...ya a free drink. We asked to speak to a manager about it and he try to tell us my sister planted this rock in her food..Who the hell wants to break a tooth and hurt themselves on top of it. We refused to pay anything at all. This was my birthday outing and this place sucked and ruined it..oh and I was told this was the best place to et in swampscott..NOT!!!

Reviewed 15 July 2012

We stopped to say hello to a friend while on our our way to our table. When done, we went to the hostess station to get seated at which point, we were asked by the owner "what do you want?" He then rudely told us that we "just can't walk through this restaurant" I explained that now I understand why people don't like to go there, he then shouted to my wife and I that "if you don't Ike it you can leave" We got seated, we then left, and will NEVER step foot in this or any other Anthony's resturaunt again!

2  Thank Artymay
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Like all Anthony's, great seafood, beautiful views. A little pricey, of course.

Reviewed 29 March 2012

If you seek a restaurant on Boston's North Shore that can be counted upon to deliver courteous, professional service and consistently good food in a lovely setting overlooking Massachusetts Bay, Anthony's is worth a visit. We've been eating here from time to time for many years and have never had an off-key meal. Mostly, one goes for seafood (preceded,of course, by hot popovers) but I've also tried the prime rib and it was excellent. We recently had a birthday party here and the restaurant set up a table for 15 and handled the whole process professionally and without a glitch in service or food. I have no qualms about recommending Anthony's Pier 4 Cafe & Hawthorne by the Sea. There is also plenty of off-street parking.