“Clean, but food not good”
Review of Cathay Pearl Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Cathay Pearl Restaurant
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 29 July 2013

There was a funny smell when we walked in, but I found the table area and restrooms clean. Staff was very nice. The food portions were very generous, but I didn't like the food. I don't consider myself very picky with food, but the rice was dry, chicken fingers were mostly breading, chicken wings were awful, spring roll was dry. We did not take our leftovers and will not be going back.

1  Thank Kara S

Reviewed 12 May 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I went for a drink and food. We had been there in the past and it was always ok. This time, The scorpion bowl was THE worst ever, $15 wasted. We are not picky eaters but I couldn't even finish it. Barely any alcohol and it tasted like a gross, way-too-sugary fruit punch. Crab rangoons were good. It's the only compliment they can squeeze out of me, because then we tried the rest of the food. The beef teriaki looked like fat processed in the shape its suppose to be.. resembled sausage. Not even sure it was meat. Def not beef. Couldn't eat it. Fried rice was edible but not impressed. The Orange n general taos was low grade.. the sauce tasted odd. And the best part.. we were there late but not even close to closing. We were the only ones in the dining room. (Shouldn't known then). They shut the lights out on us. My bf had to go tell them to put them back on so we could pick more at our poor excuse for food. The guy looked at him like he had 5 heads.. yes u have people eating in there.. stop being clueless and just stand there n turn em on!!! Then the waitress who was nice and fairly attentive said "almost close soon, chug chug" refering to the god awful drink.. all set. And the bar side was filled with loud trashy 40-something yr old drunks who swear a lot and were making out near the door. Discusting. Plenty of places to go around here.. don't waste your money. Will never to there again, ever.

1  Thank asira182
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Let me start this off with this was my FIRST time at Cathay pearl in Swansea. I usually love Chinese food so i was really excited to go there. My father has a band who was playing last night starting at 9:00, we had gone the week prior to check the measurements of the stage, while doing so he was obviously talking to the owner/manager in charge and like usual when i attend his shows he made sure i was able to go and there wasn't going to be any problems. Assuming its only a restaurant there wouldn't be restrictions of me going when i'm only 19 but the owner said everything would be fine and i could go as long as i didn't drink. Well the show started at 9:00 and i had gotten there at 8:30, no one had said anything to my friend or i who are both 19, i ordered a non alcoholic drink from the bar and we even got food. watching my dad for about an hour and a half we did nothing wrong, the servers were rude and pushy, and a few friends of mine had finally showed up so we went to the front door to greet them and show them in and there at the front counter was a Chinese man and a police officer telling them they couldn't come in because they were not 21. i explained to them that i wasn't either but i was with the band my father was the leader of it and i had been there for all that time and had spoken with the owner who said it was okay. Still they gave the 4 of us attitudes telling us if we didn't leave wed be forcevly kicked out. I was disgusted, i was nice to them and explained the situation and still was made to leave. so i explained i needed to get my things from my table and let my step mom know so she could tell my father because he was playing, and there was nothing they could do i had to leave. the owner STARED at me while i was saying goodbye and telling her i couldnt stay and watched us walk out. WORST experience ever! MIND YOU, my fathers band plays at BARS, not restaurants JUST PLAIN OLD BARS, all the time and i always talk to them ahead of time to make sure i can attend and its never a problem, so to be kicked out of a Chinese restaurant FOR NOT DRINKING, OR ANYTHING is appalling to me. and the fact of how RUDE they were about it was ridiculous.. not even bringing up how the golden fingers were ice cold, and how the crab ran goons tasted old and gross. it was horrible, NEVER going again, and on top of that my father will NEVER play there again. rudest service/owners ever. i would have understood if something was either said to me weeks ago when we asked at first, or even when i first showed up but after an hour and a half of being there? seriously people, respect isnt that hard. i work in the service industry, major fail, just saying .

1  Thank sarah w
Reviewed 13 May 2011

I had frequented this restaurant a few times before with my husband when the bartender Doug was present. This time I had an issue with the bartender Justin and WE WILL NEVER GO TO THIS RESTAURANT AGAIN.

My husband and I had ordered some chicken wings and fried rice. While going through the rice, I had spotted a cockroach that was cooked in it. I had told the bartender Justin about it and he said that he will take care of it, seeing that we were the only ones in the bar area. Well he returned with another plate of fried rice in about two minutes, to my surprise it was the same plate of rice with the cockroach that was in it, it had the same chipped plate marking as the previous one.

When I questioned Justin about it again, he became upset and started to get defensive and saying that he didn't cook the food, and that all food contains some insects. I surely didn't expect this response nor was I mentally prepared for it.

I had stated that I wanted to see the food preparation areas to be sure that it had been up to health code that there isn't cockroaches crawling around the kitchen. Well I was denied that and he got more upset and began suggesting that we take our business elsewhere.

He stated that our bill only amounted to less than $30, and that was pocket change compared to the daily take at the restaurant, bragging about his bartendering tips, he makes 3x - 4x that a day and it's not a big deal for him to see us go.

I will be sure to be following up my complaints with the Swansea Board of Health and legal law enforcement channels available to me and my husband.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS RESTAURANT TO ANYONE. They don't deserve our business, and I HOPE THEY GO OUT OF BUSINESS TOMORROW.

4  Thank eatelsewhere
Reviewed 17 November 2008

My girlfriend and I went to the Cathay Pearl, and could not believe how people eat there. The plates were covered in grime and grease, and the chicken smelled like it had gone bad, the greens inside of the egg-roll were brown and every piece of meat felt slimy and smelled rancid. When I brought this to the hostess's attention, she proceeded to open up the chicken finger with her bare hands and eat it. We have contacted the Board of Health, since we've both got sick from just a bite. DO NOT GO HERE!! YOU WILL GET SICK!!

4  Thank testtaste