“DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Truro
Horton's Camping Resort
Keene, New Hampshire
“DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY”
Reviewed 11 August 2012

First, if your planning to vacation on Cape Cod don't. Just do not do it. Save yourself the hassle of hellish traffic, snotty people, over priced everything and crappy beaches. The campground is deplorable. The sites are right on top of eachother the bathrooms are a great place to get a staff infection as they are deplorable. Oh let's not forget the landfill on site that looks like something of a health hazard...... the cost to live in 3rd world conditions is ridiculous. If you really want to go Cape Cod and god would only know why, you'd be better of sleeping in your car or beach bumming it but keep in mind the beaches suck. I took a week vacation on the Cape and stayed at Hortons and wish I could take it all back! Shoulda gone to Maine!

Room Tip: Do NOT go to Cape Cod!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Jon L

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Norton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 August 2012

When I booked my trip, it was before I read all the negative reviews about Hortons and the old owner, and began to second guess my choice. I can say that I made the right choice. First off, every staff member was extremely nice and helpful right from the start. Upon reaching our tent site, it seemed a little small for my wife, 2 sons (8 and 5) and I. I called the front office and asked if we could move to the site across from us and the answer was "absolutely". The campground is split up between tents and campers, with the tent sites up a small hill. The bathrooms had plenty of stalls and sinks but no showers. There are showers near the campers and behind the store, but it is a little walk. You can tell they are making progress with upgrading the property. They do not have much of a playground for the kids, but remember, they are renovating, so I am sure it will come in time. The only misconception is the distance to the beach. It is approximately a 20 minute walk down the road, not far if traveling light, but a little long if traveling with kids. If you are camping here to enjoy the beach for a week, I suggest buying the beach parking pass for $40 for the week, since there is no parking at all if you don't have one, unless you go to The Head of Meadow beach where it is $15 dollars a day at the Cape Cod National Seashore. A great convenience is that the shuttle to Provincetown stops at the entrance to the grounds every half hour and it costs only 2 dollars ($1 if you buy the tokens from the camp store) and runs till midnight. It is only a 15 minute ride!! I give Hortons a two "thumbs up" and will DEFINATELY stay here again!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank CappyHamper2012
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Ok so let me start by saying I have not been camping since I was a kid. I read all the past reviews and I have to say I was worried, but in the end I was very pleased. What people need to remember you are "CAMPING", back in the day when you went camping there were no sinks, toilets or showers. We arrived on Friday morning and we used the bathrooms first, they were clean and acceptable again were "CAMPING". We had Tent Site with picnic table and fire pit spot # 138, besides for sticks and leaves the camp was clean. It was quiet and peaceful, quiet time at 11PM, Fires out at 11PM, you no longer have to pay for shower, Garbage pick up daily at 11am and 6PM. There was a lot of traffic around 9PM, I am thinking that is when people are getting back from dinner and whatever else they might have been doing. I was surprised that there were outlets in the bathrooms for your convenience, I do have to say that towards the end of the day/night the bathrooms left a lot to be desired, women you can't complain if you are the problem. Kids in and out of bathrooms unsupervised, splashing water, making toilet over flow and women that don't know how to properly flush a toilet or how to put trash in the trash. The store had "NOTHING" and I mean "NOTHING" in it, I wanted chips and nope they did not have them so if you need food supplies get them else where no close stores no where to buy coffee, bread, milk, beer or Cigarettes. Over all it was what camping should be RELAXING and QUIET!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jessica H
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Horton's is now run by Adventure Bound, but there haven't been many (any?) improvements. The bathrooms were run down and dirty, and the electricity went out a few times for at least 15 min or longer (a big deal when you're taking a shower in the pitch black). Our campsite was private but small, and located in a little gully - no wind, and tons of mosquitoes. Also, the layout of the campground is confusing and the map is horrible, so if you arrive after dark expect locating your campsite to be a long and frustrating experience. On the plus, the beach is within walking distance, though the same can be said for other campgrounds in this area.

Summary: Good location, everything else sucks. Stay elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank cllme007
Lexington, MA
Reviewed 21 August 2011

We stayed at Horton's for 4 days. We had privacy which is always nice; we never saw our neighbors. However, we were too far away from the bathrooms. The bathrooms need to be torn down and have new buildings installed and more of them. The bathrooms were not working well when we arrived on Thursday and by Saturday they were out of order and still not working on Sunday. Horton's did say everyone could go to ABC Camps to shower. They're showers are beautiful! This was very frustrating since I think its important when vacationing with family that you have reliable facilities. I saw some people with babies. I have two kids and can't imagine staying at Hortons with really young children. Also, the bathrooms were dirty and dark. However, I do think Horton's has a lot of potential. It's a large and spacious place. There should be at least out houses in the areas that a far away from the bathrooms. I really didn't like breating in urine around our camp site. Perhaps under the new management, they're will be improvements made to the facilities. As for the roads, it's very rustic. We have a Sienna which did fine but I don't think I would bring our Corolla. The location of the camp is surrounded by absolute beauty. The National Seashore is just the most beautiful place; it's truly breathtaking! I would stay again with new bathrooms.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Deborah C
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 August 2011

AdventureBound took over Horton Campground in the spring. Horton's was closed for two years. NOTHING was done to this campground except for cutting down brush to re-define the sites before reopening. Rest rooms and showers were GROSS. Electricity was in and out. Last day - NO water in the whole campground. As we were leaving, they were drilling a new well.

Couldn't wait to pack up and head home.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Melanie B
Williamson, New York
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I will be trying the campground under new management this year after 30yrs staying at Horton's. I liked the rustic feel and real camping.I see folks are excited by added technology.Not me. I do not camp to listen to phones or computers.I have always loved the campground and I hope that it stays quaint and does not become a chain park. I will miss Bob and his parade of young international summer helpers. I have wonderful memories of Horton's,Bob and the Cape...see you soon ocean. I will write a review when I get back.

Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank prism6
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truro
Pleasant Bay Village
#4 of 11 in North Truro
East Harbour
East Harbour
#10 of 11 in North Truro

Been to Horton's Camping Resort? Share your experiences!