“Rustic camping is an accurate description...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Truro
Horton's Camping Resort
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This is an ideal option for people not looking for luxury or even much comfort and who wish to experience the RV camping experience without having to haul one around the countryside. We rented one of the premium RVs for a few nights while waiting for our house in Provincetown. It was great having the kitchen and bathroom (though the shower is definitely not built for larger people and we used the public showers which were a hike). We are used to tent camping so this was more convenient, but the beds were very uncomfortable and we were better off in our tents with our air mattresses. They really should invest in some real mattresses so people can enjoy their vacations pain free and rested. The only other problem would be the condition of the roads getting in and out of the campsites... One has to drive zig zag back and forth in order to avoid wrecking ones car....I don't think calling the campground "rustic" makes it OK to not take care of the roads. The price was reasonable for having an entire RV and it's proximity to the ocean and P town but I think next time we'll just take our tents.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Robin122

Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

This was my first time camping (in a camper that is!) we stayed in one of the campers that they rent out. It was nice and very clean. I have no complaints except I missed my hotel room and the ocean view

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We camped this past labor day weekend. The tenting sites were plentiful, and they even offer sites that are all set up and ready to go for you. We had our own tents and chose to use those. The rest rooms were not so great. In our area there were only 4 stalls, and two were out of order. The rest rooms near the tenting area only has toliets and sinks. It is quite a haul to get to the showers. There are two shower areas, we drove to them. They were relatively clean, with good water pressure and plenty of free hot water.

Tenting sites come with a nice fire pit.

The site is near all the beautiful beaches in Truro - one night we got a permit at town hall and had a beach fire (very lovely), great spots to bike, and , of course, close to Provincetown.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank BostonMary2013
Reviewed 4 September 2013

My wife and I had our fingers crossed when we booked this RV trailer site and we weren't disappointed. The campground was clean, well landscaped and PERFECTLY located between Wellfleet and Providence. The only issue we had was that the cable reception was snowy. (They said they were in the process of upgrading the cable service) It doesn't hurt that we had great weather for a week and that a beautiful lighthouse was right outside the campground entrance. I would not hesitate to book this campground again and we fully intend to do so next year. It is surrounded by great beaches, fun activities and very tasty food.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank katric1988
Reviewed 7 August 2013

My fiance' and I just spent 5 days at Hortons. Two years ago we had stayed at the other ABC right up the street and loved the location and campground. That one was booked so we tried Hortons. We love the location of the campgrounds, right on the national seashore and within walking distance to the beach (although it is a little bit of a walk....bikes are nice) What we found out about the campground. If you're in a tent.....you are basically on your own. Although a bathroom was close to us, there were no showers, electrical hook ups or hot water in the bathroom. In the men's bathroom only 2 out of the 5 sinks worked. The showers were a hike, we drove to them. They were in the front of the campground and we only saw 2 shower facilities in the whole campground. The staff were nice enough but not very helpful. When we got to our campsite, nothing had been cleaned and the fire pit not cleaned out. I never saw anyone paroling the campground and basically staff left at 9 pm even on the weekend. Friday night we got back late around 10 pm and the front office/store/game room was all closed up already as it had been every night. Oh and not much in it either. The first day we arrived, after setting up we wanted to go down to the beach to watch the sunset. The front office told us the best was to walk....about a 20 min walk. Normally this wouldn't be too bad but we were tired from a day of traveling. Regardless, we made the walk to find out that after 4 pm the parking attendants leave and you are free to park. It would have been nice if someone had mentioned that to us.

Things were pretty quite the for awhile, until the weekend hit. Then we had some big family's and other that came up and seemed to be up and partying late.And as I mentioned, there was nobody there for noise control. As far as the location, we love the Cape and P Town, but keep in mind....you're not going to go anywhere fast. There is basically one way in and out of the Cape......and that is Rt. 6 which in many places goes down to a one lane road and traffic stops. But the national seashore is beautiful with beaches, camping, kayaking, bike riding, fishing and more to do. P Town has a lot of little shops and is really cool to walk around in. so hopefully now that ABC has taken over Horton, they will bring it up to their standards.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa C
Reviewed 1 August 2013

This was my second time staying at horton's campground . I have enjoyed it both times. It's great for adults but not much to do for kids. Near the beaches and p-town. The bus shuttle is great. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Jmdd777
Reviewed 4 July 2013

I have been staying at 'Horton's' for over 30 years. access to beautiful beaches, quiet evenings, plenty of food available close by. It has been my place to regroup. Since the previous owner had to sell, things were let go during the process,but still, for the serenity, safe feeling,and spacious sites,well tended, it was still a place to call home for a week or so. Now, no rules, no upkeep, dogs running around and barking, kids entering campsites people converging in large goups in the wee hours of the morning,setting up sites with no regard for others....it seems to have gone from campers with camping etiquitte, to a 'it's all about me' mentality.. I understand that it costs alot of money to get things in order, but if they can get 197.00 for a 3 night stay in a brush covered primative ,mosquito filled lot, it shouldn't take long to make the money needed. The campground has gone from a family resort to a big box campground. I loved Horton's campground as it was, I will be thinking heavily about my trip in 2014, and I know, they lost some first time campers .....the only reason I gave it a 2 was because it still has good beach access

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank prism6

Been to Horton's Camping Resort? Share your experiences!