“Vineyard Havens, Martha's Vineyard”
Review of Hanover House

Hanover House
Ranked #5 of 11 Vineyard Haven B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I recently had the opportunity to take a trip to Martha's Vineyard for a weekend getaway. I highly suggest staying at Hanover House in Vineyard Havens it was a very charming, clean and friendly Inn. You do have to make reservation for breakfast, otherwise, next door at the Clarke House you can have the continental breakfast which is equally as good. We were able to ride bikes provided by Inn, to ride to down to water to watch sunrise, then take a 2 mile trek to see lighthouse up the road. VTA (Vineyard Transit Authority) is about 15-20min walk, you can buy a day pass which you can travel to Gay Head to see cliffs and eat at Aquinnah café, take return bus to Edgartown and check out local beaches or simply enjoy the scenic view of MV.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Stephen P, Owner at Hanover House, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Thank you so much for the superb recommendation! You do well pointing out some of the aspects of staying here that we're most proud of, and I couldn't be happier to hear how much you enjoyed yourself. Keep us in mind should you start planning your return to Martha's Vineyard. We'd love to see you again.

Take care,

Reviewed 27 June 2013

The Hanover House was a perfect home away from home. I stayed there with seven friends in various rooms and we all enjoyed our time there. Many folks recommended that we stay in Edgartown and/or Oak Bluffs; however we appreciated the quiet, calm, and safe environment as a base and to have the option to explore other areas of the island. We trekked all the way to Aquinnah Cliffs and got a great scenic tour from one end of the island to the other. The bus system is reliable and frequent so we were able to get around easily and affordably ($7 all day bus pass). Steve was incredibly helpful and kind -- he helped us navigate the island and suggested places for us to eat after hours in Vineyard Haven.

What you can look forward to if you stay at the Hanover House:

1. Clean, Safe, Comfortable, and Affordable
2. Home-baked muffins for breakfast
3. Friendly and helpful staff (Steve, thanks so much!!)
4. Provide: shampoo/conditioner, lotion, towels, frig, tv, .... and BIKES!
5. Lovely communal area to eat breakfast, watch TV, etc.
6. Great for family and friends!

I would definitely stay here in the future.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank JiSF14
Stephen P, Owner at Hanover House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

I truly appreciate you laying out all the aspects you enjoyed about staying here. This is exactly the kind of experience we want to leave our guests with, and I couldn't be happier to hear how great of a time you all had. You really took in the sights! It would be an honor to host you again any time you're back on this side of the country. Thank you again for the very kind review!

Reviewed 3 June 2013

Had a wonderful time in Martha's Vineyard the Hanover house is in walking distance of Vineyard Haven. Clean, nice staff, wonderful backyard to relax and breakfast was exceptional! The staff was very helpful in getting us where we wanted to visit and how to read the bus schedule.

• Stayed: May 2013
Stephen P, Owner at Hanover House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

I'm pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us! We love helping our guests make the most of every aspect of a visit to Martha's Vineyard, even down to getting out and enjoying the area. I hope you'll keep us in mind for your next visit. We'll be thrilled to see you again. Thanks for sharing this.

Reviewed 12 March 2013

"I and my family have stayed at Steve's Inns. He has a wonderful hands on personal approach to Inn keeping. The Breakfasts are amazing, clean comfortable rooms at some of the most reasonable rates for Martha's Vineyard. I Always recommend him to people going to the Island to visit!"

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Stephen P, Owner at Hanover House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2013

Beth,

Thanks so much for the very personal review! I'm glad you've always loved staying with us, and I truly appreciate your recommendations to others. We're always happy to accommodate you and your family. Thanks for the great review and we look forward to seeing you again!

Stephen

Reviewed 12 March 2013

Hanover House is a beautiful inn. It is clean, welcoming and comfortable. My friend and I had a delicious breakfast and were given great information about things to do and directions. The owner and staff were professional yet friendly and we felt relaxed and at home.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends

Nancy,

Thanks for staying with us! It's wonderful to hear that you and your friend enjoyed yourselves. We make it a point to ensure that our guests get the most out of their visit, and I'm happy to know that the staff took great care of you. I'll pass your compliments on. Come back to see us again soon!

Reviewed 17 February 2013

The room was very nice; cozy and warm and clean. Really close to center of Vineyard haven. We really enjoyed our stay. The breakfast could have been a little better but for the great price of the room it wasn't a big deal.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank K C
Stephen P, Owner at Hanover House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Thanks for coming to spend some time with us! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and the convenient location we have. I do apologize if the breakfast could have been better, and I appreciate your feedback on that front. We'd certainly love another opportunity to see you any time you want a relaxing stay in Vineyard Haven. Thanks for the very kind review!

Reviewed 10 January 2013

I travel weekly for my career and have for nearly 25 years, having stayed at every kind of hotel, inn, motel, B&B out there. The Hanover House Inn was by far the worst experience I've ever had. The front desk clerk was rude, as was the owner, and they neglected to tell our entire party that the rundown inn was under much needed construction for a shoddy roof. My room was filthy, covered with must, dust balls, holes in the bedding, old sheets and cardboard towels, with ant traps everywhere. The room was unhealthy to stay in and just disgusting. We couldn't even sleep there. Then the early morning construction with obnoxious, cursing men yelling and cranking music while pounding on the roof in workboots, who also peered through the sunroof at me in bed was disgusting. After we all complained to the owner Steve about this, he apologized and said he'd refund our money. YET, he never did. He ignored my calls and emails and basically stole money from me since we had to leave the Inn and find another place to stay on a Saturday. Just dispicable. Look at the photos of the filth. DO NOT EVER STAY HERE. And he overcharges you and the breakfast, which we did't eat, was gross. Check out the pictures I took in the room. Luckily we found an amazing place to stay with friends for free and my professional credit card company reimbursed me in full.

Room Tip: Stay anywhere else on the island but this place!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank LauraAnnHall13

I'm really sorry that you left us so dissatisfied with your experience here. There are some inaccuracies and points I'd like to address, however. Our roof was undergoing necessary repairs, as well as the installation of solar panels to make our place more eco-friendly. As I told the other guests in your party when I issued them a refund, without waiting for them to request it, there was a failure in communication with the workmen. The work was supposed to have been completed when there were no guests staying at the inn, but weather delayed completion of the work. We were embarrassed by our miscommunication with the construction crew, as we failed to inform them that guests would be here that weekend and they would have to put off work. Because of that miscommunication, we happily refunded everyone.
Concerning the skylight, it is physically impossible, for a number of reasons, for you to be seen in bed. This is an unfair accusation, and I can assure our guests that we'd never put them in that kind of situation. Though I don't doubt the possibility that you could hear the workers, they weren't even on your side of the building, so it's highly unlikely that they'd have even been near the skylight above your room to begin with.
The issue you fail to mention in your review is that of the dog you brought with you. We are a pet-free property, aside from legally protected service animals, which you told us yours was. When inspecting the paperwork after you checked in, it specifically stated that this dog was not an ADA protected service pet. It’s actually against the law to claim so, and we could have refused a refund based on that violation alone. We were still going to issue one, but you stated via email that you were going to pursue it with your credit card company. Once that has been stated, we get out of the way and let the credit card company handle their process. You also disregarded our request to put your dog down when perusing the breakfast buffet, as we certainly couldn't have a dog hanging over food for other guests. Our bed and breakfast is a welcoming environment, and we go to great lengths to ensure the safety and happiness of our guests. We keep a clean and comfortable BnB, and have for over 30 years. It's unfortunate that your experience turned out the way it did, and this in no way represents the typical visit many of our guests experience here. I hope this clears any confusion for readers.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vineyard Haven
#1 of 3 in Oak Bluffs
The Clark House
The Clark House
#6 of 11 in Vineyard Haven

Been to Hanover House? Share your experiences!