“Great location and experience for a group”
Review of Hanover House

Hanover House
Ranked #5 of 11 Vineyard Haven B&B and Inns
Milton, Massachusetts
“Great location and experience for a group”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We just stayed at the inn after the vineyard 20 mile race. It was a great place. The breakfast was so delicious, nice rooms and a lounge where our large group could hang out. A short walk to vineyard haven. Also there was a massive snow storm and they did a great job with the snow removal. We hope to come back next year.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank jfk421
Stephen P, Owner at Hanover House, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
I really appreciate your review! It means so much to read your kind words about your stay. I hope you'll be able to return next year, too! Wishing you the very best in the meantime.

Stephen - Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We stayed here in September. The Inn met all of our needs. It is not a 5-star property and the rates reflect that. However, if you want convenience, good food, yummy snacks, free bikes, a friendly owner who provides a ton of very valuable information, affordable rates, and a comfortable bed, this is a great place to stay. First off, you can walk from the ferry to the Inn so you don't need a rental car. There is also a few bus stops within a short walking distance to the Inn so you can go anywhere on the island for a couple of bucks on the public bus. An all-day pass on the bus system is $7 per adult. The Inn has many bikes which are in great shape and provided free of charge to the guests. We used the bikes and rode 25+ miles our first day. The Inn provides free continental breakfast with a lot of different selections or you can pay $5 and get a home-cooked meal. You can also get coffee, tea, juice, etc. 24 hours a day free of charge. The owner also puts out an afternoon snack for all guests to enjoy. We were there for 2 nights and for the money we paid and the service we received, we would highly recommend this Inn. If you want or expect a 5-star resort/hotel however, look elsewhere so you are not disappointed.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Troy288
Stephen P, Owner at Hanover House, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thanks for your review! It was a pleasure having you stay with us — I'm delighted to know that you liked everything from the convenience to the affordable rates. I'm also glad to read how much mileage you got out of our bikes! What a wonderful way to explore the village.

If you're ever in the area again, I hope you'll stay with us. Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's any way to make your next visit even better, too! Safe travels, and I hope you'll return sometime.

Thanks again,
Meriden, Connecticut
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I have stayed in many bed and breakfasts, inns, and hotels, but I have never arrived at an inn and had absolutely no one there to receive me until I went to The Hanover House Inn at Martha's Vineyard. My husband and I found the front door open, however, there was no one there to greet us, so we left our luggage there and walked down to the village. There was a sign on the front desk to call the proprietor if one needed assistance. I did call, but no one answered or called me back. Secondly, after being there a night and another day, the housekeepers did not come in the room to make the bed, refresh towels, or empty trash! Further, there were seven steps to turning on the TV. Both my husband and I tried it, but were unsuccessful. We didn't get Direct TV, just a no signal message. The bed was soft and the pillows mushy. There was one tiny bar of soap at the sink, but none for the shower. The front of the air conditioner was dirty and needed some serious cleaning. I do not know how this inn received a AAA rating. We finally met the proprietor, when sitting outside waiting for a taxi to pick us up at 6:30 the first night. He pulled up in his BMW and asked us if we needed help. He then introduced himself and started to recommend restaurants. When we finally did come back from our walk to the village and were checked in by "the help", we were asked what room we had. What? You are supposed to tell us that, not the other way around. This person also knew nothing about restaurants or the area, so she couldn't help us. She called the wife who was also the owner. The morning that we checked out, there was no sign of the proprietor. No goodbyes, come again. We just left the key at the front desk. The best I could say is that the "continental" breakfast was decent, although, the help did not have it ready at 8 a.m. when everyone was standing around waiting to eat. We won't be returning to The Hanover House Inn at Twin Oaks in Martha's Vineyard. Also, the front of the inn doesn't look anything like the picture on line.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LC31106
Stephen P, Owner at Hanover House, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thank you for taking time to leave us feedback. I'm sorry to read about your experience, especially since it seems we got off on the wrong foot. Sometimes, our front desk is empty, as we're tending to needs on the ground; however, your phone call should have been answered. Any calls that provide a call back number will always be returned.

We've been welcoming visitors to Martha's Vineyard for the past 33 years, and we take customer service seriously. If your room is not given its daily attention, you can always call and we are more than happy to meet your needs. All rooms are vacuumed, have their towels replaced if they are on the floor, have the trash taken out, and bed made. Each room is straightened as long as personal items are not strewn about. We don’t allow our staff to move personal items.

All that said, I'm sorry that you felt neglected while you were here. It's certainly not the impression we want to leave our guests. Thank you for staying with us, and I hope you enjoyed your time exploring the village. We will take your feedback into consideration as we continue to improve our business.

Safe travels,
Stephen
Owner
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed here as part of a bike tour. There were something like 20 of us (I never did count!), so we had virtually all of the rooms. My room was comfortable, my roommate and I were content. The rooms are a bit quirky, as B&Bs usually are, fitting all those bathrooms into an old house....but it worked. We had pale blue paint and white wicker decorations. Very nice for a summer room. Table, fridge, chairs, bureau, everything you need. Even bathrobes. There was a patio right outside, which we promptly made use of, for bike clothes drying.

The full breakfast was good, although a bit crowded, as the inn is designed for smaller family groups eating a bit more spread out (we all crowded in at 8, to leave together at 9!). They made it work.

We were met at arrival with fresh baked cookies. Such treat after a bike ride! There was coffee and tea and lemonade always available.

This B&B is on my list of excellent choices for the next time my family goes to the Vineyard.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Thumbelinasmum
Stephen P, Owner at Hanover House, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
We were thrilled to have you all here! I'm glad everyone thoroughly enjoyed staying here, and that you all felt well-accommodated. I always want our guests to feel like they have whatever they need and simply relax—especially after a long bike ride! We're honored to be on your list, and can't wait to see you back again. Thank you for sharing this.

All the best,

Malden, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Stayed here for a few days with some friends. Location is convenient and is walking distance to transportation and shopping. That's about the only nice things I can say.

I echo the prior reviewers comments about the sofa bed - awful, very uncomfortable. The suite also had a spider problem - gross. Clean towels were not provided in a timely way. At one point we had to walk to the main house to get some. Also they charge for bottled water, which is fine I guess, but if I'm going to pay for it I expect it to be cold. Why would you give someone warm water in the summer time? And while we are on the topic of warm, their continental breakfast included cereal, milk, bread, and warm juice - no thanks! I walked to town every morning to get a decent breakfast.

Room Tip: If you decide to book here get a room that has a fridge. That way you can buy your own beverages and...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Beth781
Stephen P, Owner at Hanover House, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
As I've mentioned in my response to the previous reviewer, Beth, the sleeper sofa is only a couple years old but is not meant for a full grown adult to sleep on for the night. Had you consulted with us about using it as such, we'd have advised against it and helped you make other accommodations. Many other guests compliment our breakfast, both continental and breakfast buffet, so I'm surprised to hear you were so unhappy with it. I appreciate your honest input on the bottled water, though. I really wanted for you to love it here as well, and I still have no doubt that we're fully capable of making that happen. If there's anything I can do to encourage you to give our Three Diamond AAA approved inn another try, please don't hesitate to let me know. I'm sorry that you left so disappointed in your visit here.

Best,

Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I stopped there for 2 days with my male friend visiting from Denmark, both of us elderly.
On the positive side: the breakfasts were good, the staff cheerful, the landscaping and the environment nice.
On the other hand: We opted for the "suite" supposedly housing up to 4 people, with the sleep sofa in the living/dining room. Nobody showed us to the "suite" if only to help us with the luggage on steep outside stairs and familiarize us with the suite's many quirks The sofa bed was old and sagging and although supposedly equipped with bedding did not have any pillows. The lighting was haphazard- some lights missing, some with strangely placed on/off switches.The closet was in the bathroom. The outside of the refrigerator and the patio chairs were dirty. On the second day the cleaning lady left my friend's pajamas on the dining table but did not bring the pillows. I could go on but you got the idea...

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank SophieR332013
Stephen P, Owner at Hanover House, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
I'm very sorry to hear that the amenities didn't live up to the expectations we set for you, Sophie. Our bed and breakfast is an exceptional value for the rates, and you'll find amenities and beautiful antique furniture here that many other places don't even begin to offer. I personally pointed out the light switches, which actually follow AAA requirements. There really isn't anything quirky about them.

We do ask that all our guests call when they arrive so that we can assist them, both with questions and baggage. Had you mentioned the need for pillows, we'd have pointed out that there were pillows stored in the chest right in front of the sleeper sofa. It's a high end sleeper, and only a couple years old. However, a sleeper sofa of that size really isn't recommended to handle a full sized adult. I'm really sorry that you left with such a poor impression of us, because this is not the typical sentiment we receive from our guests. We'd love to have another opportunity to show you that we can provide the perfect stay for you. I hope to hear from you again.

New York City
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I recently had the opportunity to take a trip to Martha's Vineyard for a weekend getaway. I highly suggest staying at Hanover House in Vineyard Havens it was a very charming, clean and friendly Inn. You do have to make reservation for breakfast, otherwise, next door at the Clarke House you can have the continental breakfast which is equally as good. We were able to ride bikes provided by Inn, to ride to down to water to watch sunrise, then take a 2 mile trek to see lighthouse up the road. VTA (Vineyard Transit Authority) is about 15-20min walk, you can buy a day pass which you can travel to Gay Head to see cliffs and eat at Aquinnah café, take return bus to Edgartown and check out local beaches or simply enjoy the scenic view of MV.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Stephen P, Owner at Hanover House, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Thank you so much for the superb recommendation! You do well pointing out some of the aspects of staying here that we're most proud of, and I couldn't be happier to hear how much you enjoyed yourself. Keep us in mind should you start planning your return to Martha's Vineyard. We'd love to see you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vineyard Haven
#2 of 4 in Edgartown
The Clark House
The Clark House
#6 of 11 in Vineyard Haven

Been to Hanover House? Share your experiences!