“Fantastic place, Fantastic Value, Fantastic People”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vineyard Haven
Martha's Vineyard Family Campground
Cornwall
“Fantastic place, Fantastic Value, Fantastic People”
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Two of us stayed here for two weeks at the end of September. It was perfect for what we needed and we were pleasantly surprised when we arrived after a very long flight from the UK and then drive from NY to see how fantastic the cabins were and how well organised the site was. Dan and Sue (the owners) could not have been more accomodating, and would go out of their way to help us out with anything we needed. We were there to fish the Bass Derby and through staying at the site have met several groups of people that we now call friends and will hopefully meet up with again in the future.

Another lovely touch was getting home from work a few days before Christmas and finding a Christmas card from Dan and Sue. I have never had that from any other place I have stayed!

If you prefer the more rustic approach to having a holiday on an amazing island then this place should deffinately be on your bucket list!!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sancreed

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
New York
Reviewed 7 September 2011

The campground is... well, a campground. We stayed in a cabin which was nice -- they are small but clean and a whole lot more comfortable than a tent. Unfortunately no en-suite bathroom -- you have to walk 2-3 minutes to the main building for that. Each cabin has a fire ring, picnic table, 2 plastic lawn chairs, 1 matching plastic lawn end-table, a small refrigerator with workable freezer, a bare-bulb light, and several power outlets. The bunks had a 4-inch vinyl covered foam mattress, which is less comfortable than a hotel bed, but better than a leaky air mattress. The door has no lock, which seemed odd until we realized that tents don't either.

There is no inside table or seating, so a stay during a rainy time would be less than ideal. The porch is pretty big (plenty of room for several people to sit).

The campground is convenient to the Vineyard Haven ferry terminal (less than 2 miles, easy to bike).

The bathrooms are extremely clean, although I found the toilet cubicles very cramped and there's no handicapped stall either.

So far so good. The owner/manager keeps bird feeders in the tree outside his room, which happens to be above the bathroom doors. Every night there were 4-5 skunks munching away at whatever fell out of the birdfeeders. In addition there was always a skunk wandering around the cabins after dark and I even saw one during the day. We were assured that they won't spray us "unless we provoke them" and various campers were told no one has been sprayed in 2, 4, 5, years (the number varied). Once you worked up the courage to calmly walk past the skunks it was no big deal, but it would be a lot nicer if they got rid of them.

I got the impression that the owner/manager doesn't particularly like campers, and maybe likes having the skunks around. There is a definite "Fawlty Towers" feel to the guy. He's also big on rules, which is probably why the place is neat and clean.

The BBQ grill is a low-end gas grill that has a side burner. It worked but wasn't in great shape. They provided BBQ tools (tongs, scraper, spatula, lighter).

Don't forget to bring your own lantern if you want to use the picnic table or grill after dark, and you'll want a flashlight for walking to the bathroom.

Despite the picture on the front of their website, it's not on (or near) the ocean. The campground is in the woods a couple of miles inland.

Overall it's pretty nice for a campground, and easy to recommend. Just watch out for the skunks.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank MNOPQRS
C0806
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Having read all the reviews I was anxious about coming to the campground but we love camping and this one is the only one on martha's vineyard so we decided to give it a go.
Although we are all in our twenties we did appreciate it was a family campground so we tried to stay within the 10pm-8am 'quiet hours' that were indicated to us when we checked in. Staff were very helpful and explained the 'rules' in a nice manner. They also were not hesitant to assist us when we were looking for things to do around martha's vineyard. The campground was very clean, as were all the facilities. If you want a cheap vacation on martha's vineyard - this is the way to do it - helpful staff, clean bathrooms, nice campgrounf - not too shabby

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank C0806
Northborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 August 2011

Ok, after reading reviews, and being hesitant, here is my experience: This campground is great. The staff is very very helpful and friendly. We stayed with our family of 3 kids, in a 2 bedroom cabin. It was clean, convenient, and orderly. We used to live in CO, and are use to camping in National Forest. One must remember that this is a privately owned campground, one that must deal with (obvious) rift raft. My husband and I are use to putting the kids to bed and having a glass of wine by the campfire, usually around 11:00pm. Unfortunantly this could not happen at this campground, secondary to rules. So we had to settle for a battery operated lantern in our sleeping bag. This is a great campground, but you need to accept rules. Do not camp here if you think it is like a National or State Forest. It is very convenient to the public transportation also!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Chickfish
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 23 August 2011

So my bf and I booked a room here for our weekend stay on MV. Everything else on the island was either full or ridiculously $$, and the idea of staying in an open-air campground vs a mildewy, overpriced B&B seemed like a no brainer.

Let me first say that I am no stranger to camping, having grown up in VT and camped nearly every year of my childhood on Cape Cod.

Boy was I in for a surprise.

First issue: the campsite's website boasts that it is only "1.2 miles from the ferry!" What they don't tell you is that if you come in from Oak Bluffs, where the majority of the ferries land, it is 5.5 miles. We learned that lesson upon departing at 10:00PM with all of our packs, bedding, etc strapped to our backs and then having to bike (no cars allowed at the campsite) 5 miles UPHILL in the dark along treacherous, ill-marked roads.

Granted, the campground can't control the time of day we arrive, but when I made the reservation, I specifically said we would be arriving at night into Oak Bluffs, and were on bikes. A little heads up as to what to expect would have been very helpful.

Finally, we arrive, starving, freezing, thirsty and exhausted at 10:30PM. Have to wait for half an hour to check in, as a sign states that the desk closes at 8 and late check ins must wait for the administrator to come back every half hour. (Again, would have been helpful to know that before hand.)

Naturally, all the restaurants in the area are closed at this point. So when I check in, I explain to the man at the desk that we hadn't eaten since leaving home at 4:30 and were starving. Also, that my boyfriend was a type I diabetic and needed food.

Since the restaurants were closed and there are no vending machines in their campground, could I please get something for my boyfriend from the food shelves RIGHT BEHIND HIM. His response? "Sorry, register is closed." ??? WTF????!!! Excuse me?? He then tells me that: "There should be things open in the next town over. It's about a 9 mile bike ride."

IN THE DARK, WITH SOMEONE WHOSE BLOOD SUGAR IS CRASHING.

I then asked if we could at least have a bottle of water. "No. I don't want to open the register. There's a tap at your campsite." "But we don't have any cups to drink from." "Sorry."

OK, let's re-cap here:
1) This man is standing in front of an entire shelf of snacks, food ,and drink
2) I explain to him that my boyfriend is a diabetic and needs some of it. You know. So he doesn't, like, die
3) We are paying customers who have already given them $350 for a 3-night stay
4) The reason we are in this predicament is that no one explained to us how far away the site actually was and what was involved in getting there

Thankfully, I found a Snickers bar in my bag, which my boyfriend ate. We drank water with our hands from the taps of the bathroom and went to bed starving. Thanks, MV Family Campground! I'm really feeling the family love already.

Next up: the cabin. The cabin itself, while clean, was ridiculously cramped and basically 2 feet away from the subsequent cabin. The "bed" was literally a rock-hard 2 inch mattress on a board. It might as well have been a yoga mat. There was a bare lightbulb in the ceiling and that was it for amenities.

Although I specifically had asked for a space away from the noise and bustle of the main campground, they put us right on the main corner of the main road, so we could be awakened at 6AM by RVs 4 wheelers--not to mention the screaming children 2 feet away in the next cabin.

Next up, the showers: Filthy, drains clogged with hair and hair extensions, unidentifiable substances smeared on the walls. You get the idea.

At 8AM on our first morning, I was already on the phone with a travel agent looking for last minute cancellations. Thank goodness we found one and got the h*%l out of there with enough time to enjoy the rest of our vacation. Needless to say, I will never, ever be back.

I also strongly recommend that anyone traveling with any kind of medical condition avoid this place, as you will not receive any help if you are in a crisis and it is past 9 PM.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
26 Thank KR_bklyn
Natick, MA
Reviewed 8 August 2011

This was a very well run campground and we enjoyed the stay.

Some pros:
- clean, raked out site
- situated in an oak forest with plenty of shelter
- a really well stocked convenience store on site (close at 9pm)
- electric outlets at our site (needs a special adapter, ask at front desk)
- convenient bike rental on-site
- up-to-date, relatively clean restrooms
- washer and dryer room
- staff was courteous and helpful
- free WiFi at front desk
Some cons:
- Put out fires at 11pm is strictly enforced. Rules are rules but camping is not supposed to be prison camp. Without this I would give 5 stars
- Kind of far from beaches and towns; about 1 hour bike ride to South Beach

Room Tip: Sites furthest from front office seemed more private
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank bombadilo
Gilford, New Hampshire
Reviewed 8 July 2011

We wanted to go camping and see Martha's Vineyard. This campground is the only one on Martha's Vineyard that I have been able to find.

My family is not in great shape, but taking bicycles to the island is far cheaper than taking a truck, plus, what an adventure! We packed all our stuff in a little bike trailer and just took off!

The campground is fine, nothing amazing or wonderful. We were going to ride bikes to beach after beach, so all we needed was a place to setup a tent for sleeping. This is perfect for that. We rode our bikes all weekend, all the way to Edgartown! We did not try to take the bus back or ride in the dark. We got a cab instead. The buses and the cabs have bike carriers, just make sure you tell them how many bikes!

The cabs are expensive, $40 for 4 people and 4 bikes.

So, the campground has a reasonable bathroom. It's a campground bathroom. You want modern amenities, stay in a hotel. I met the owner, he's fine but he does have to deal with some jerks so he has rules and he doesn't take a lot of crap. Did I mention this is like the only campground?

Staff is helpful if you aren't a jerk. Treat people well, smile, and all is cool. Please and thank you too. I did some people get cold treatment from staff, but the people were being rude, demanding, and some were swearing. Well, there ya go.

I would rate this trip one of our best, as do my kids and fiancee!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Hostelling International - Martha's Vineyard
The Clark House
The Clark House
#5 of 11 in Vineyard Haven

Been to Martha's Vineyard Family Campground? Share your experiences!