“Best Value on Martha's Vineyard for Families” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Martha's Vineyard Family Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vineyard Haven
Martha's Vineyard Family Campground
“Best Value on Martha's Vineyard for Families”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

Perfect for kids. Great playground. Friendly people and centrally located. You can bike almost anywhere. The campground store has almost anything you might have forgotten. We stayed in the two room cabin. I've posted pictures as I could not find it online before we visited. Bring shower shoes, an air mattress, clothes line, and bikes. Campground has washers and dryers. Minimal wifi good for checking e-mail only. This is our second time and we will definitely return.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank OellaMd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

Had a gat experience. We rented a 6 person/2 room cabin for 3 nights and we loved it. The beds were much more comfy than I thought they were going to be (and I can be a bit of a princess). The staff we very friendly and the grounds were well kept. We were fairly close to the main building with washrooms and showers and never had to wait for a shower. Loads of families around so my son had a great time playing kickball and making new friends. The only thing this place needs is a swimming pool. The beaches on the island were not very conducive to swimming so it would have been really nice for my son to have had some place to swim.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank CDNTravelerOttawa
UPTON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2013

We’ve only camped at Nickerson State Park in Brewster before so had little to compare this campground with. Overall, it was a good experience. The owners and other office workers were very helpful. Our site was a good size and we were able to fit our two small tents and a dining tent with plenty of space. The fire ring does not have a grill (I had emailed earlier to ask and received a prompt reply), so I brought an old oven grill and that fit just fine. We had a site with electricity and water. We shared the faucet and electricity hub with three other sites. I had brought a three-prong extension cord (again I had emailed and gotten a quick reply) and there were two outlets for 3-prong cords and two outlets for what I assume are RV plugs. These were first come first served. We had four close neighbors. There were cabins across from us and they were unoccupied during the week but filled on the weekend. Unlike my last stay at Nickerson where I had an unusually small site with little space for parking, the parking spot for the site was good.

There are some nice sized co-ed outdoor showers that our group used exclusively. There are also two inside showers. Although the toilet stalls were small, management provided disposable seat covers, which I thought was a very nice touch. The bathrooms were frequently messy and busy but not out of the ordinary as there was only one bathroom for each gender.

The camp store sold ice ($3 a bag) and wood ($5 a bundle). The bundle was more than enough to cook a meal on and to roast s’mores when dinner was over.

We didn’t bring any electronics so didn’t use the free wi-fi but there were plenty of other campers sitting in the chairs provided outside of the camp store mornings and evenings.

We unfortunately had an unusual heavy rainstorm while we were there. I was concerned that our tarps were going to fail so I asked at the office for a one-bedroom cabin for the night. I was able to rent one at a reduced rate for the night. The cabin was very nice and we appreciated getting out of the rain and using the good size refrigerator to refreeze our ice packs and keep our food cold for the night. The cabin looked and smelled like new. It was very cute and clean (as was our site). At $840 a week, the cabin is significantly less than any other lodging on the island, but significantly more that a week with a tent ($315).

I will definitely return to Martha’s Vineyard Family Campground.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
12 Thank Matiol
Morpeth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2012

i only stayed 1 night as i couldnt get into the hostel until the 9th august but wow what a beautiful friendly place and so peaceful ok i should have maybe brought an airbed but flying from england i only had room for a small one man tent but hey it added to the adventure for me as i was travelling alone , the owners were very helpful and let me book in early and let me use the trolley to bring my luggage to my tent site would defo go back again very clean and tidy and you get great wifi too

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank claireb1969
Northampton, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2012

This is the most I ever paid for a campground. Over $50 a night for a tent site. But what can you do? Its the only place to camp on the Island. Any other accomidation is going to set you back at least three times that. We went in October, and were one of three tent campers in a park with probably at leat 20 times that amount of sites. We enjoyed two very nice quiet nights. I can imagine during the summer, it would be much lounder as the sites are close togeather, at least comparred to most State campground. There are skunks that won't bother you. The bathrooms are clean. At check in it is very clear about the early fire outtage. So if you have a fire, you really have to time your wood placement in order not to go late.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Pennsypete
Yarmouth Port, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012

We looked into hotels and inns for Illumination week in August (busiest week on the island). Most rooms available to accommodate me and my two children ran at least $300 a night...the island is expensive, as most are. We stayed 5 days at the campground in a cabin for what we would have paid for 2 days somewhere else...the price can't be beat! The cabins have a small refrigerator and electricity. There were 2 sets of bunks, one with a double on the bottom. The mattresses were rock hard...next time, I will bring air mattresses. The cabin and site were clean. It was the quietest campground I've ever been to. Granted, our cabin wasn't near the playground. Everything was clean. Outdoor showers and some in the bathrooms. Only one bathroom facility, but it was fine. Camp store was very inexpensive, which was surprising, considering we were on the island. All staff was friendly and very helpful. My kids were too old for the playground, but it was really nice. The sites were sort of crowded, but most family campgrounds are. Our cabin was hot, but I brought a fan, which helped...and also drowned out any outside noise. Skunks were around, but didn't bother anyone. The games in the rec room were mostly broken, but we didnt care..thats not why we were there.There's a bus stop right at the entrance if you want to use the excellent transit service(beats finding parking). We will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep in, ask for a site away from the store/bathrooms/playground.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jami C
Dedham, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

Wow--all of the other 1 star reviews about the condescending, horrible staff were spot on.

We were scheduled to stay in a cabin and check in today. Unfortunately, our flight was canceled with no opportunity to get on another flight. We were heartbroken to say the least. We had been saving up for this trip for a long time and already paid for our site. When we called the front desk to explain the situation and ask what our options were for a refund, we were shocked at the response we received.

My husband was speaking to Sue, and I could overhear her side of the conversation as well as his. As he was trying to explain our predicament, she kept interrupting him and speaking over him without allowing him to even fully explain why he was calling. She said that refunds were handled on a case by case basis, but their policy states that with such a short notice that she wouldn't give us anything besides 25% of the charged rate back. As he was trying to explain that we wanted to come, but this was something completely out of control, she sarcastically replied "what, you're telling me that you can't find another way here?" We explained that our only other alternative would be to drive 2 hours then pay $160 for a ferry, and we don't really have the means to just drop money like that. We asked her to please have some compassion and understanding and try to refund us as much as she could. Her response? "Is the money really THAT important to you?"

I have never, ever come across a situation like this where someone refused to even LISTEN to a paying customer. Her lack of professionalism and immature jabs at our financial situation angered me so much that I told her that it was [--] that she was treating us in this way, and she promptly hung up on me. I know that I shouldn't have used profanity, and I am rarely driven to do so, but this was too much.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Hostelling International - Martha's Vineyard
Charles & Charles
Charles & Charles
#1 of 11 in Vineyard Haven

Been to Martha's Vineyard Family Campground? Share your experiences!