“Mathas Vineyard Family Campground”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vineyard Haven
Martha's Vineyard Family Campground
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Mathas Vineyard Family Campground”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I worked at the campground during the summer through a BUNAC work america programme.
The campground offers fair rates with a shop which sells basic food items like bread and milk for a lot cheaper than the rest of the island. Although one of the managers comments need to be taken with a pinch of salt (not only to staff, but also to guests), the Campground is an amazing place to work at and to stay and there are lots of things to do on the island (enough to keep me entertained for three months). It is generally a very happy place to stay where most campers are delighted with the facilities and their holiday experience. Many campers visit the island by bike, if this is the case, I would recommend visiting in june and september when it is good temperatures but there are less people and getting a cabin which is around $135 per night (as then you dont need to set up a tent or carry the tent when its hot). The best places to visit from the campground are long point beach, south beach, Edgartown, menemsha sunset, chappaquidick island. You can get to all of these on a bike and if you are too tired on the way back, there is always a bus which can take you back for a maximum of $3. To eat; great Pizza place in Vineyard haven, Lookout Tavern in Oak Bluffs and then Black Dog for a huge breakfast. The sandwiches from Humphrey's are also a must!

Its a great place if you love a bit of adventure, fresh air and want to explore.

I would also highly recommend the BUNAC experience of working at the campground for others who want a fun time, they provide accommodation and Sue is an absolute delight to work for.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank emilyj20101

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

Perfect for kids. Great playground. Friendly people and centrally located. You can bike almost anywhere. The campground store has almost anything you might have forgotten. We stayed in the two room cabin. I've posted pictures as I could not find it online before we visited. Bring shower shoes, an air mattress, clothes line, and bikes. Campground has washers and dryers. Minimal wifi good for checking e-mail only. This is our second time and we will definitely return.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank OellaMd
Ottawa
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Had a gat experience. We rented a 6 person/2 room cabin for 3 nights and we loved it. The beds were much more comfy than I thought they were going to be (and I can be a bit of a princess). The staff we very friendly and the grounds were well kept. We were fairly close to the main building with washrooms and showers and never had to wait for a shower. Loads of families around so my son had a great time playing kickball and making new friends. The only thing this place needs is a swimming pool. The beaches on the island were not very conducive to swimming so it would have been really nice for my son to have had some place to swim.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank CDNTravelerOttawa
UPTON
Reviewed 5 February 2013

We’ve only camped at Nickerson State Park in Brewster before so had little to compare this campground with. Overall, it was a good experience. The owners and other office workers were very helpful. Our site was a good size and we were able to fit our two small tents and a dining tent with plenty of space. The fire ring does not have a grill (I had emailed earlier to ask and received a prompt reply), so I brought an old oven grill and that fit just fine. We had a site with electricity and water. We shared the faucet and electricity hub with three other sites. I had brought a three-prong extension cord (again I had emailed and gotten a quick reply) and there were two outlets for 3-prong cords and two outlets for what I assume are RV plugs. These were first come first served. We had four close neighbors. There were cabins across from us and they were unoccupied during the week but filled on the weekend. Unlike my last stay at Nickerson where I had an unusually small site with little space for parking, the parking spot for the site was good.

There are some nice sized co-ed outdoor showers that our group used exclusively. There are also two inside showers. Although the toilet stalls were small, management provided disposable seat covers, which I thought was a very nice touch. The bathrooms were frequently messy and busy but not out of the ordinary as there was only one bathroom for each gender.

The camp store sold ice ($3 a bag) and wood ($5 a bundle). The bundle was more than enough to cook a meal on and to roast s’mores when dinner was over.

We didn’t bring any electronics so didn’t use the free wi-fi but there were plenty of other campers sitting in the chairs provided outside of the camp store mornings and evenings.

We unfortunately had an unusual heavy rainstorm while we were there. I was concerned that our tarps were going to fail so I asked at the office for a one-bedroom cabin for the night. I was able to rent one at a reduced rate for the night. The cabin was very nice and we appreciated getting out of the rain and using the good size refrigerator to refreeze our ice packs and keep our food cold for the night. The cabin looked and smelled like new. It was very cute and clean (as was our site). At $840 a week, the cabin is significantly less than any other lodging on the island, but significantly more that a week with a tent ($315).

I will definitely return to Martha’s Vineyard Family Campground.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
12 Thank Matiol
Morpeth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2012

i only stayed 1 night as i couldnt get into the hostel until the 9th august but wow what a beautiful friendly place and so peaceful ok i should have maybe brought an airbed but flying from england i only had room for a small one man tent but hey it added to the adventure for me as i was travelling alone , the owners were very helpful and let me book in early and let me use the trolley to bring my luggage to my tent site would defo go back again very clean and tidy and you get great wifi too

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank claireb1969
Northampton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 October 2012

This is the most I ever paid for a campground. Over $50 a night for a tent site. But what can you do? Its the only place to camp on the Island. Any other accomidation is going to set you back at least three times that. We went in October, and were one of three tent campers in a park with probably at leat 20 times that amount of sites. We enjoyed two very nice quiet nights. I can imagine during the summer, it would be much lounder as the sites are close togeather, at least comparred to most State campground. There are skunks that won't bother you. The bathrooms are clean. At check in it is very clear about the early fire outtage. So if you have a fire, you really have to time your wood placement in order not to go late.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pennsypete
Yarmouth Port, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 September 2012

We looked into hotels and inns for Illumination week in August (busiest week on the island). Most rooms available to accommodate me and my two children ran at least $300 a night...the island is expensive, as most are. We stayed 5 days at the campground in a cabin for what we would have paid for 2 days somewhere else...the price can't be beat! The cabins have a small refrigerator and electricity. There were 2 sets of bunks, one with a double on the bottom. The mattresses were rock hard...next time, I will bring air mattresses. The cabin and site were clean. It was the quietest campground I've ever been to. Granted, our cabin wasn't near the playground. Everything was clean. Outdoor showers and some in the bathrooms. Only one bathroom facility, but it was fine. Camp store was very inexpensive, which was surprising, considering we were on the island. All staff was friendly and very helpful. My kids were too old for the playground, but it was really nice. The sites were sort of crowded, but most family campgrounds are. Our cabin was hot, but I brought a fan, which helped...and also drowned out any outside noise. Skunks were around, but didn't bother anyone. The games in the rec room were mostly broken, but we didnt care..thats not why we were there.There's a bus stop right at the entrance if you want to use the excellent transit service(beats finding parking). We will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep in, ask for a site away from the store/bathrooms/playground.