“Simply Fabulous”
Review of Thorncroft Inn

Thorncroft Inn
Ranked #3 of 11 Vineyard Haven B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 July 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Thorncroft for our Honeymoon, and were absolutely satisfied with our choice.

Upon arrival, Karl, the owner, sat with us for a while. He took us to our room, which was nothing short of paradise. The "cottage" we booked had it's own garage for our vehicle. We walked in and the foyer was spacious, with plenty of closet space and room for ironing. The bathroom was large, looked new, and was very clean.
The main room contained a large couch, two arm chairs flanking a fireplace, a king size four poster bed, and a jacuzzi. We felt right at home and immediately said we would never want to leave!
We even had our own private, covered, porch out back with a hammock and two adirondack chairs/table where we had breakfast in the morning.

The room was superb, and the service the same. The fireplace is ready to go each evening; all you need to do is put a lighter to it and the stacks of paper shreds and logs go up in flames. The fireplace is re-stocked/set-up for the next evening.
The jacuzzi was ready to use (Karl showed us all around the room and how to use everything/find everything) and had towels, bubble bath, and robes ready for use right next to the tub.

The room was cleaned daily and bed turned down nightly. We even came home to a surprise gift of flowers/chocolates as a 'wedding' gift one of the nights.

Service was incredible.. I called for two items to be brought to our room and it was done so within a few minutes each time.

The owner even printed out directions to the restaurant we had made our reservation at for the nights we were there.

There are probably things I'm forgetting, but I just wanted to get this review out there. I rely greatly on people's reviews and am happy to say, this Inn was a great experience.

Regarding the negative reviews: there was nothing close to a musty smell, everything was so fresh, new and clean. The bed/pillows were so comfortable; we slept in every morning and couldn't believe how rested we felt.
The breakfast in bed was served warm, and delicious.

Thanks Karl and Lynn for a wonderful time! We were so pleased!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 June 2009

We stayed at the Thorncroft once in 2008 (when my fiance asked me to marry him--right in room at the inn!) and another time a few years prior. Even setting our sentimental attachment aside, we LOVE the Thorncroft. From the private hottub rooms, to the wooded and secluded property, to the in-room fireplace and fantastic service. Just read the guest books stacked high in any one of the rooms--this place has been catering to couples celebrating important occasions for many years, and the reviews in those books attest to the many dozens of very, very happy customers.

I wanted to correct something another reviewer of the Thorncroft said; she took offense that a breakfast item was wrapped in Saran Wrap--this happens only if you request to have a continental breakfast brought to your room. On the other hand, if you get up and get to the dining room for breakfast, you'll get the full meal served to you!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2007

Arrived at the Thorncroft Inn in mid-September with my wife for an anniversary celebration. Karl, the owner, met us at the door. Very amiable and obviously very proud of his Inn. The main Inn is decorated with antiques and is beautiful! The two dining areas are wonderful as well. After a short discussion about the how's and where's of the Inn and some history of MV and the island's highlights (including the best places to eat), he escorted us to our room (Number 11). What a beautiful place to stay for 4 nights! The room was superb with every amenity one could ask for. Our own private balcony overlooked a beautiful garden and brick walkway. The room was quiet and every day the Inn prepared a wood fire for us complete with kindling and starter paper. Nothing nicer than enjoying a nice fire with a good book and a glass of wine. Fluffy towels and silky, thick robes, wonderfully soft bed and personal bathroom amenities were all provided. Newspaper delivered to our door every morning! Our own refrigerator right outside our door for our snacks and wine.

The breakfast that Karl whips up every morning was huge and enough to make us skip lunch every day. Beautifully prepared and presented and very tasty. The hostesses were friendly and attentive as well. Drove all around the island and did the tourist thing but was always great to come back to the Inn and relax! On our last night at the Inn, we were pleasantly surprised when a red rose and chocolates arrived secretly at our door as an anniversary gift.

Would more than highly recommend this Inn to anyone going to MV. Five star rating as far as my wife and I are concerned and we'll be going back in the near future!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 49GMC
Reviewed 8 August 2007

We were so excited about our visit to Martha's Vineyard and to the Thorncroft Inn. We stayed 3 nights and chose a room with a jacuzzi and a private entrance, sort of a cottage. From the time we made the reservation we received attention from the folks at the Inn, we felt welcomed and special. Once we arrived we were greeted by Innkeeper Karl who was rather cold and seemed to be reading a script - no problem - he met us at our room - when we entered we were overwhelmed with the musty smell and how small the room with the bed was - the actual Inn is lovely. The $500.00 a night room we stayed in was very dark, musty, the carpet was filthy and worn, the bathroom tiny the bed was hard as a rock and the pillows were lumpy! I expected plush linens and pillows, not happening. It was really very average - not a $500.00 nights stay. Breakfast was alright, Karl makes awesome scrambled eggs, and the toast was always cold. Lynn and Coleen are great and go out of their way to ensure that your needs are met. I must admit I didn't expect to see housekeeping lug around a vacumn cleaner and run it during breakfast. I bought one of the Thorncroft robes which were in the room for our use during our stay. We both could have sworn they were dark blue. The one I bought was wrapped in a white bag and when I got home and opened it in different light I realized it was dark green. I called and spoke with Karl who suggested that I may be color blind and that it was time for a visit to the optometrist! Hmmm, so much for service. I loved the location, the area is beautiful. We'd probably try another B+B on our next trip. Carol and Dan - Portland, Maine

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Victorianrose
Reviewed 31 July 2007

We stayed at the Thorncroft Inn for only one night in July and we can't wait to return. The inn itself is beautiful and is set in a quiet location yet close to town. Our room was charming, cozy and immaculate. It has a queen size canopy bed that was very comfortable and was made with fine quality linens, a working fireplace, a deck w/chairs and a large 2 person shower. I had mentioned when making the reservation that I was getting away for my birthday. We went out to dinner and when we returned to our room, there as a beautiful red rose, chocolates in a velvet pouch and a birthday note waiting for me. Breakfast was great and the dinning room elegant. The owners Karl and Lynn, as well as their wonderful staff, have made the Thorncroft Inn a first class operation!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank capecodlady
Reviewed 10 January 2007

My fiance and I stayed here last summer and thought it was just lovely. It was our first trip to the island since I was a child and the owners helped me get reaquainted. The staff was delightful, too. Our room, although small, was tastefully decorated and comfortable. The breakfasts were delicious and quite large...I took my leftovers to the beach! Some nice touches were suggestions of things to do in the rain, complimentary maps to off-the beaten path beaches and hiking areas, and personal suggestions from the owners of favorite dining spots. The only downside I can think of is that we found ourselves drawn to Edgartown almost daily, and it's not exactly the shortest trip. Still the drive from Thorncroft is lovely and the location is peaceful and pretty. All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TeddyBear03
Reviewed 3 October 2006

The Thorncroft Inn won the award for the best B&B in the US in 2005 . I find this shocking considering our experience.
A B&B is not for everyone but my husband and I have traveled extensively in the US and Europe and enjoy the understated elegance. With that said what I do expect from a fine B&B that charges in excess of $400/ night is a wonderful bed with fine linens, soft pillows, a fresh smelling room and an elegant breakfast delivered to the room.

We found the linens to be mediocare at best . The pillows horrible lumpy and cheap. The room smelt musty and damp. The hot tub although a nice touch was in a separate enclosed room outside with no view just small windows along the top, certainly not a romantic setting.
The breakfast was nothing special and wrapped in saranwrap orange juice in paper cups ?????
Remember this was almost $500 a night
There were no flowers in the room (thank goodness my husband thought to send me some directly to the room) , not even a bottle of water.
A single sink in the bathroom with barely any room to put your personal items down. A small beatup refrigerater also occupied a corner of the bathroom( how elegant ?)
To complete the expereince we had the cleaning people vaccuming above us at 8:30am on a Sat morning ???????? So much for romance and tranquility.
The Charlotte Inn is a much better choice if you really want an elegant setting with attention to detail.
Kathryn & John, Mt Lakes NJ

#8 of 10 in Edgartown
Oak Bluffs Inn
Oak Bluffs Inn
#1 of 15 in Oak Bluffs

Been to Thorncroft Inn? Share your experiences!