“Disappointing on numerous levels”
Review of Thorncroft Inn

Thorncroft Inn
Ranked #3 of 11 Vineyard Haven B&B and Inns
Lincroft, NJ
“Disappointing on numerous levels”
Reviewed 2 September 2009

My husband and I (both late forties) stayed at the Thorncroft in August. We were swayed by the AAA rating. I intend to investigate with AAA as to why they consistently rate the Thorncroft so high. It's a mystery to me. Unfortunately we did not have Internet access just prior to arrival and couldn't go to the Trip Advisor reviews. Even those reviews may have swayed me to stay. I'm glad most of the reviewers had a good experience; wish we could say the same.

At $400 per night, I feel the right to expect more than average. We arrived early afternoon and were anxious to get out and explore. Karl, a rather stiff but very polite gentleman, sat us down in the parlor and droned through what appeared to be a well-rehearsed script, going through the history of the inn, the couple's history, etc., and mercifully finally described the inn's copyrighted to-do manual for Martha's Vineyard (which is very informative and was much appreciated). However, with ALL of his chatting he never once mentioned that Vineyard Haven is a dry town and you can't get a cocktail anywhere; you must BYOB to a restaurant. Most folks would want to know that before going to a VH restaurant! You can only get a cocktail if you go to Oak Bluffs or Edgartown. Everyone we met during our stay mentioned that as soon as they heard we were staying in VH.

To finally end the introductory monologue we mentioned we were from NYC and very versed in finding our way around maps. He responded "My condolences." I was shocked. I think it's a huge customer service error and frankly downright rude to disparage where your guests have come from.

On the way to our room we passed the AAA Award hall of fame. Plaque after plaque after plaque. So much for charming B&B artwork. In my opinion one plaque would have sufficed with a notation of the consecutive years earned. I'm looking for charm in a B&B, not a brag wall.

We were shown to our room and I must admit I was disappointed. Not surprising for a B&B, it was small, but the layout was quite awkward. Sorry I do not remember the room number, but it was directly over the dining room in the main inn (so you could hear all the lovely traffic on the main road into Vineyard Haven in the morning).

The bed looked directly at the toilet (photo attached). If you didn't have the door closed that was your view. The online literature stressed that many rooms have jacuzzis, fireplaces, or balconies. We were 0-for-3. This was a mystery to me because the Inn seemed fairly empty. We didn't see many cars parked nor see lights on when we returned in the evening, we didn't hear many guests, and we ate alone in the dining room in the morning. Why weren't we given one of the nicer rooms for that price???

The bathroom was cramped, and in decor not unlike the Days Inn we stayed in on our way to MV (photos attached). There were cheap vinyl roll-down shades with K-Mart feel lace valances in both the bath and bed rooms. If you were at the sink you couldn't open the door to get in (and since the closet was in the eave of the bathroom you do have to get in). When blow drying your hair at the sink, your elbows hit the wall on either side. The generic beige floor tiles had cracking grout and there was a faux-tile shower surround with another cheap lace curtain on plastic rod/rings. A cheap chrome Delta faucet didn't match the other bronze-finish fixtures. No shower cap or shoe-shine cloth. Completely run-of-the-mill motel style. Really, for $400/night?

The bedroom: minimal artwork which lent very little charm (see photos). The online site said there were some flat-screen TVs, but on top of no FP, no jacuzzi, no balcony, there was no flat-screen (so really we were 0 for 4). The type of TV is not a big deal to me at all, but again we wondered exactly which amenity we paid so much for.

The location of the TV (see photo) became an issue as well. It was on a desk near the wall adjoining another room, and I can only guess that the folks in that room had their headboard right up against that wall. We were watching a quiet, romantic movie at around 11:30 and they knocked on our door and asked us to turn it down. We were shocked that they could hear us. It didn't take long for us to conclude they were probably hearing a lot more than the TV. To accommodate them we turned it down so low that in order to hear the ending we both sat on the floor in front of the foot of the bed.

My husband flipped through the books in the room and said, "you know, we are right above the dining room and previous guests are warning that if you're "busy in bed" in the morning the chandelier will shake. Very relaxing. It turned out nobody was in the dining room but we didn't know that. However, we could hear the clinking of food prep and setup.

As another reviewer mentioned, at 8:55 in the morning the cleaning staff was out in the hallway vacuuming on the other side of our heads. Our breakfast seating was not until 9:30. I stuck my head out the door and said, "Is there some reason you are vacuuming outside the rooms at this time?") They immediately put the cleaning items down and went downstairs. We mentioned this to Karl, and he said he would speak to them about it, but I noticed another reviewer mentioned the same thing had happened prior to our stay. Perhaps they didn't mention it to Karl, but how does he not know what time his staff is cleaning?

A bright spot: Karl's breakfasts are inventive and very filling. I'm not sure sure I want a heavy breakfast burrito for breakfast, but I was game and it was interesting. We were both pleased and were not hungry for some time after. Dining service was excellent. Well, we were the only ones in the dining room! I recommend you go down for breakfast rather than in the room to at least get your money's worth on that. From what I hear in other reviews the breakfast delivered to the room is very basic. Breakfast was the only thing in my opinion that made the price we paid somewhat palatable.

We walked the grounds, and based on the B&Bs we explored (we made a point of it for a future stay) in other MV towns, Thorncroft's grounds pale in comparison. They are very woodsy, yes, but little of that garden cottage feel I want to have at a B&B. We looked at B&Bs in Nenemsha, Oak Bluffs and Edgartown (all mostly lower and some a similar price range), and they were overflowing with baskets, fountains, garden accents, etc. Really lovely. I have a vacation home in PA and if I want woodsy I'll go there. In the instance of a few inns we were really interested in, they let us view some vacant rooms. The rooms did not feel as "generic" as the one we had at Thorncroft.

In summary, I will say I wish we had the experience it seems the majority of other folks have had, but for my money I was sorely disappointed and frustrated I hadn't chosen somewhere else on the island. Next time it will probably be Edgartown, where you can be on a side street but still walk into town. It's a much livelier town in the evening as well (probably because VH is dry and fairly desolate by 10). Oak Bluffs is not as upscale as Edgartown but fun as well (ask someone about the late-night bake shop - heavenly!), and the B&Bs have just as much if not more to offer for much less money.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank RinaD

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Rosendale, New York
Reviewed 11 August 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Thorncroft Inn for three nights in early August, We had a wonderful time. Our room (room 11) was beautiful and spacious. The room itself was immaculate, in fact the whole Inn is maintained nicely. The property is mostly wooded, with nice paths and gardens, a good combination of natural and maincured. Our room had a balcony which overlooked a garden and some woods, very relaxing and a great place to enjoy a book and a glass of wine. Karl and Lynn were very friendly and offered to assist us in any way they could. It appeared to me that there were only 4 or 5 rooms booked while we were there. Our room was in a carriage house in the back which had 4 rooms total, but my wife and I were the only ones there. Overall, I would highly recommend the Thorncroft Inn.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
michellep4
Reviewed 14 July 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Thorncroft for our Honeymoon, and were absolutely satisfied with our choice.

Upon arrival, Karl, the owner, sat with us for a while. He took us to our room, which was nothing short of paradise. The "cottage" we booked had it's own garage for our vehicle. We walked in and the foyer was spacious, with plenty of closet space and room for ironing. The bathroom was large, looked new, and was very clean.
The main room contained a large couch, two arm chairs flanking a fireplace, a king size four poster bed, and a jacuzzi. We felt right at home and immediately said we would never want to leave!
We even had our own private, covered, porch out back with a hammock and two adirondack chairs/table where we had breakfast in the morning.

The room was superb, and the service the same. The fireplace is ready to go each evening; all you need to do is put a lighter to it and the stacks of paper shreds and logs go up in flames. The fireplace is re-stocked/set-up for the next evening.
The jacuzzi was ready to use (Karl showed us all around the room and how to use everything/find everything) and had towels, bubble bath, and robes ready for use right next to the tub.

The room was cleaned daily and bed turned down nightly. We even came home to a surprise gift of flowers/chocolates as a 'wedding' gift one of the nights.

Service was incredible.. I called for two items to be brought to our room and it was done so within a few minutes each time.

The owner even printed out directions to the restaurant we had made our reservation at for the nights we were there.

There are probably things I'm forgetting, but I just wanted to get this review out there. I rely greatly on people's reviews and am happy to say, this Inn was a great experience.

Regarding the negative reviews: there was nothing close to a musty smell, everything was so fresh, new and clean. The bed/pillows were so comfortable; we slept in every morning and couldn't believe how rested we felt.
The breakfast in bed was served warm, and delicious.

Thanks Karl and Lynn for a wonderful time! We were so pleased!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 15 June 2009

We stayed at the Thorncroft once in 2008 (when my fiance asked me to marry him--right in room at the inn!) and another time a few years prior. Even setting our sentimental attachment aside, we LOVE the Thorncroft. From the private hottub rooms, to the wooded and secluded property, to the in-room fireplace and fantastic service. Just read the guest books stacked high in any one of the rooms--this place has been catering to couples celebrating important occasions for many years, and the reviews in those books attest to the many dozens of very, very happy customers.

I wanted to correct something another reviewer of the Thorncroft said; she took offense that a breakfast item was wrapped in Saran Wrap--this happens only if you request to have a continental breakfast brought to your room. On the other hand, if you get up and get to the dining room for breakfast, you'll get the full meal served to you!

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Laurel, Maryland
Reviewed 1 October 2007

Arrived at the Thorncroft Inn in mid-September with my wife for an anniversary celebration. Karl, the owner, met us at the door. Very amiable and obviously very proud of his Inn. The main Inn is decorated with antiques and is beautiful! The two dining areas are wonderful as well. After a short discussion about the how's and where's of the Inn and some history of MV and the island's highlights (including the best places to eat), he escorted us to our room (Number 11). What a beautiful place to stay for 4 nights! The room was superb with every amenity one could ask for. Our own private balcony overlooked a beautiful garden and brick walkway. The room was quiet and every day the Inn prepared a wood fire for us complete with kindling and starter paper. Nothing nicer than enjoying a nice fire with a good book and a glass of wine. Fluffy towels and silky, thick robes, wonderfully soft bed and personal bathroom amenities were all provided. Newspaper delivered to our door every morning! Our own refrigerator right outside our door for our snacks and wine.

The breakfast that Karl whips up every morning was huge and enough to make us skip lunch every day. Beautifully prepared and presented and very tasty. The hostesses were friendly and attentive as well. Drove all around the island and did the tourist thing but was always great to come back to the Inn and relax! On our last night at the Inn, we were pleasantly surprised when a red rose and chocolates arrived secretly at our door as an anniversary gift.

Would more than highly recommend this Inn to anyone going to MV. Five star rating as far as my wife and I are concerned and we'll be going back in the near future!

• Liked — Superb accommodations!
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank 49GMC
Maine
Reviewed 8 August 2007

We were so excited about our visit to Martha's Vineyard and to the Thorncroft Inn. We stayed 3 nights and chose a room with a jacuzzi and a private entrance, sort of a cottage. From the time we made the reservation we received attention from the folks at the Inn, we felt welcomed and special. Once we arrived we were greeted by Innkeeper Karl who was rather cold and seemed to be reading a script - no problem - he met us at our room - when we entered we were overwhelmed with the musty smell and how small the room with the bed was - the actual Inn is lovely. The $500.00 a night room we stayed in was very dark, musty, the carpet was filthy and worn, the bathroom tiny the bed was hard as a rock and the pillows were lumpy! I expected plush linens and pillows, not happening. It was really very average - not a $500.00 nights stay. Breakfast was alright, Karl makes awesome scrambled eggs, and the toast was always cold. Lynn and Coleen are great and go out of their way to ensure that your needs are met. I must admit I didn't expect to see housekeeping lug around a vacumn cleaner and run it during breakfast. I bought one of the Thorncroft robes which were in the room for our use during our stay. We both could have sworn they were dark blue. The one I bought was wrapped in a white bag and when I got home and opened it in different light I realized it was dark green. I called and spoke with Karl who suggested that I may be color blind and that it was time for a visit to the optometrist! Hmmm, so much for service. I loved the location, the area is beautiful. We'd probably try another B+B on our next trip. Carol and Dan - Portland, Maine

• Liked — I loved the area, the Inn is located on 3 acres and lots of woods and I liked the privacy and or course the jacuzzi and the fireplace
  • Disliked — The musty smelling room and the bed/lines just aweful
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank Victorianrose
cape cod
Reviewed 31 July 2007

We stayed at the Thorncroft Inn for only one night in July and we can't wait to return. The inn itself is beautiful and is set in a quiet location yet close to town. Our room was charming, cozy and immaculate. It has a queen size canopy bed that was very comfortable and was made with fine quality linens, a working fireplace, a deck w/chairs and a large 2 person shower. I had mentioned when making the reservation that I was getting away for my birthday. We went out to dinner and when we returned to our room, there as a beautiful red rose, chocolates in a velvet pouch and a birthday note waiting for me. Breakfast was great and the dinning room elegant. The owners Karl and Lynn, as well as their wonderful staff, have made the Thorncroft Inn a first class operation!

• Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
#2 of 15 in Oak Bluffs
The Christopher
The Christopher
#3 of 10 in Edgartown

Been to Thorncroft Inn? Share your experiences!