“Room was lovely”
Review of The 1720 House

The 1720 House
Ranked #4 of 11 Vineyard Haven B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I had great recommendations for cultural events on the island. Would never have found the special places I enjoyed without the good advice from the inn. My yellow room converted to twins and came with a newly finished private bath. Loved it!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Versant

Reviewed 18 July 2011

I just got back from my stay at the 1720 House. The B&B is centrally located, which is great and makes it easy to find. We stayed in the American "Red" Room, which is easily identifiable by the abundance of American flags. It was supposed to have a private bath, but it was located across/ down the hall so I would use that term loosely. The bed was comfortable though and the room was quiet.

We read previous reviews and the owner's rebuttal. While the owner states she doesn't smoke in response to a comment on the house smelling of smoke, I most certainly saw her dragging away on cigarettes outside the house and assumed she was a smoker from her voice on the phone. To her credit though, the house did not smell of smoke (or at least where I went). However, I would agree with the general complaints on her as a business owner. She is abrasive and doesn't create a warm, inviting feeling (laying across the sofa with her feet on it, making the room awkward to walk through). She barks orders at the weird cleaning lady and even guests ("move your bags from the living room" - umm we were told to put them there hours ago, perhaps you should move them as a courtesy). The other woman is nice though

The continental breakfast is just that. The coffee had a metalic taste and it wouldn't hurt anyone to put out some hard boiled eggs, salmon or cold meats for my $250 a night.

Don't be fooled by the claim that they have bikes - my friend had to rent a bike and, luckily I brought my own. The 3 or 4 bikes they did have were unrideable. One had a tire that had been flat for a long time, the other had something rubbing against the tire and another had back breaks and seemed really old. They didn't make you feel safe, so renting is a better option.

Upon request, we were provided with a hair dryer. While we appreciated being able to use a dryer, we couldn't because it smelled awful and I would rather have wet hair.

I wouldn't run back here and it may not be my first chioce, but I would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank rinmo04
Reviewed 13 July 2011

Abby and her staff were wonderful and welcoming. They helped with recommendations and the Inn was cozy and conveniently located to down town. We were very happy we choose the 1720 House for our honeymoon.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2011

This was our first trip to Martha's Vineyard and my daughter and I stayed at the 1720 House. When the taxi van drove by the address, my daughter wished it was this house as it was beautiful on the outside. When we got inside, it was very nice and comfortable with a very cute Americana look to it!!!!! Our room was clean and the beds were comfortable.

It was walking distance from the town of Vineyard Haven, with a number of restaurants and the car rental place right there!

To be honest, when I read a couple comments on Trip Advisor about the owner Abby, I was leery and on guard! As it turned out, she was very nice and bent over backwards to make sure we were happy with everything and told us some of the nicer sights to see. Being the owner of the place, I felt she didn't have to do that. She went out of her way to make sure we were comfortable and felt at home. I am planning on staying here in the future! Thanks Abby for everything!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank kscook
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Abby Hirsch's B&B 1720 House, is a fantastic, charming deal, with a great garden, an unbelievably beautiful giant tree, porch and good natured service.

The place is immaculate, with great tips on what's doing, where to eat, shop and laze. I stayed for a week, just to get away and I could not have been more cared for, left to my own devices when appropriate and helped out over and above standard service.

Plus, I came without a car, walked from the ferry, walked to town (5 minutes), bus (great island-wide service) and used a cab a couple of times in the evening.

The price was right, with a nice rate based on the length of my stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 November 2010

The staff really went out of their way to make my stay easy, giving me tips on places to go, some of the off-beat treats on Martha's Vineyard an running a well-organized place. The inn itself is a wonderful combination of old, new and not over-decorated. It's a good bet.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 November 2010

This is my 6th trip to the 1720 House in as many years. Abby, the owner, is sweet and deeply funny. True, she is tart of tongue, even a bit caustic, but SHE IS A NEW YORKER and not given to ladling on the syrup. I've always enjoyed both her sense of humor and her sense of style. The hotel is ideally located, within walking distance of the ferry and everything Vineyard Haven has to offer. The rooms are clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
#9 of 10 in Edgartown
The Christopher
The Christopher
#2 of 10 in Edgartown

Been to The 1720 House? Share your experiences!