“Great for our first stay on Martha's Vineyard”
Review of The Clark House

The Clark House
Ranked #6 of 11 Vineyard Haven B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 August 2011

My fiance and I spent one night at The Clark House for a short getaway and had a fantastic time. The room was small, but met our needs. Both the room and the house had all the charm one would expect from a good B&B. The breakfast was good, and the reception service pleasant.

The only downside was that it's not near the water, but that's OK because the B&B is a fantastic value.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 July 2011

The Clark House was perfect for someone like me that has a prince's taste but a commoner's budget. I spent hours researching different hotels on the island to find an affordable and charming place for my girlfriend and I to enjoy the long weekend. I chose the Clark House because nowhere else on the Island can you pay $180 a night for 500 thread sheets, high quality bath towels and robes, a private bathroom, air conditioning, a charming room with real character, and an amazing breakfast every morning. Easily the best value anywhere and conveniently located in Vineyard Haven (walking distance from the ferry), with a bus stop 200 feet away, and bikes that guests can use for free! The atmosphere is friendly. I was able to meet nice folks in the common areas, but it was also easy to escape from socializing and get quiet private time. I couldn't have made a better choice and look forward to staying there again next summer. I recommend the Clark House to all my friends.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JosyWhales
Reviewed 28 June 2011

This was our first trip to Martha's Vineyard and the Clark House Inn definitely contributed to a great vacation! I felt like a "guest" and not like a "customer." My friend had initally called just to inquire about the rates, but by the time she got off the phone with Steve, we had more than just information about the Inn--he gave a wonderful overview of the island and what we could expect and do for a vacation there. So, we decided to book a room for this reason, and because the rates were reasonable. This high level of hosptiality was consistent throughout our stay--Steve and Janet (?) gave us all the information we could ask for and saved us the hassle of having to figure out what to do, when to do and how to get there. The breakfast (right next door) was delicious (best scrambled eggs I have ever eaten), and there were always some great snacks in the afternoon. Our favorite part was sitting on the front sun porch in the rocking chairs and having tea/coffee to unwind a bit. We really felt like we should make ourselves at home, and we did. It was very charming and cozy. The room (Oak Bluffs suite--two double beds, single pull out sofa, private bath), had very comfortable mattresses and linens, and they felt and smelled really fresh and clean. In fact, we commented frequently that the entire house was VERY CLEAN. The other thing we liked was that Vineyard Haven seemed to be the most centrally located town, so taking the bus to other towns ($15 for a three day pass) was easy and direct.
I am really surprised at some of the negative reviews because they really just don't fit with what we experienced. Also, I think it's important to emphasize that staying at this Inn, a Bed and Breakfast, is staying at a HOUSE, not a hotel---what sets it apart is part of the charm.

Room Tip: Oak Bluffs suite has a living room area
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank emily1108
Reviewed 30 April 2011

The whole home needed a good housekeeping! Carpeted stairs desperately needed vacuuming, walls were scuffed with black marks, grounds lacked general maintenance.They didnt even shovel the snow off the driveway. The WORST part was that we were expected to go to the B&B next door for breakfast served on the porch..so we bundled up in the snow to find the place next door was packed. We ate in the dining room alone and waited a long time for service or to even be acknowledged! Waited forever for a cup of coffee(they had a single cup coffee maker only) Breakfast was serve yourself, which is ok if there was any left! We were scraping the bowls for bits of potatoes and scrambled eggs because the woman wasnt re-filling anything. She was alone with no help, obviously overwhelmed and she made NO apologies for anything. I dont believe she was the owner & she seemed inexperienced.

Room Tip: We had the Vineyard Suite...biggest room.
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
hanoverhouse, Manager at The Clark House, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2011

I'm not sure when you were there b/c your review is dated late April yet you describe snow. However that being said, your experience with Sandra is quite contradictory with what we heard from a wide range of guests over the entire winter. In reviewing the written comments left by guests at their leisure, she was given many many compliments. Cleanliness of our property is extremely important to us and is usually one of our top two positive comments - extremely clean and excellent breakfast. Without having heard from you directly, it is difficult to reconcile your comments with those from other guests over the winter and our own observations. Clearly with spring, we like everyone on the Vineyard do our "freshening up" so we'll keep an eye out. As for the coffee machine - again, everyone is different but many guests like having options on their coffee flavor - but to each his own.

Reviewed 1 July 2010

The staff made our experience as wonderful as we had hoped for! Diana, the manager, was so friendly and we enjoyed chatting with her over breakfast. We were upgraded to the suite upon arrival and it was perfect. We hope to be back!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2010

We enjoyed everything about the Clark House, including the wonderful breakfast and friendly, attentive staff. They gave wonderful advice about sights to see, which we would have missed without their input. I would highly recommend this property to anyone visiting the Island.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 April 2010

I stayed in the Chilmark Room (2). The room, including the bathroom was impeccable. The hosts, Diane and Lee, could not have been more accommodating. The front porch is a wonderful place to relax. I wish I could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
#3 of 3 in Oak Bluffs
Oak Bluffs Inn
Oak Bluffs Inn
#1 of 15 in Oak Bluffs

Been to The Clark House? Share your experiences!