“No sleep - too noisy!”

Ranked #6 of 11 Vineyard Haven B&B and Inns
Canada
“No sleep - too noisy!”
Reviewed 6 August 2009

We might have been satisfied with our stay, but our room at the front of the house at one of the busiest intersections on the island was very unpleasant. The traffic noise, busses, motorcycles, etc . was unbearable. We were there for Friday and Saturday nights, and we got very little sleep. When I mentioned it to the owner, he said that we should have realised because we had a "front" room that was slightly less expensive. How were we to know that this meant we would have to deal with loud traffic noise all night long? As for the cleanliness, breakfast and hospitality, etc., all of it was mediocre at best. We did enjoy the bicycles!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
NY, New York
Reviewed 2 August 2009

Dirty Old Inn.....My husband and I got to Clark Inn around 4pm the day of pur arrival and we were greeted by an envelop waiting for us with just my name on it; there was no one to greet us. It contained the key to our room. We entered the very tiny room which smelled old and unused for a looooooooong time. We found one half used robe behind the door and another dirty robe inside an old closet. The rom was poorly decorated and looked like something from an old scary movie with a 9inch tv and discolored bed linens. The bathroom was down the hall and the bathroom curtains were filthy, the floor in the bath was peeling and the curtain rings were old and rusty. What a sight! Our skin crawled with disgust. We called the inn owner that same night and he claimed that the manager who is normally there, had left for a few days. He was in the Hanover Inn, now, please note that there are two inns next to each other, we stayed in the Clark Inn, which we discover is old, dilapidated, dirty and we even saw a mouse running along the floor. The were covered with dust, and the pillows in the old wicker chair were dusty, mildew, and down right stunk! In fact, the what is supposed to be wite wicker, is stained with dirt and neglect.
The first morning went to breakfast at the Hanover Inn, as there was still no one in the Clark House to assist us. My husband asked for a waffle and the owner brought him a hot one, that had a long strand of hair in it! The owner saw that there was a problem and he just walked by us as the helper took the waffle away. He perused around a bit while ignoring us. I am not sure if he was upset because we had called him the night before, but we felt deliberately ignored.
The next day there was finally a small thin woman witha very unfriendly face. She didn't greet us. I said good morning to her, and she replied without looking to acknowledge our presence. Then she turned and said, "Oh, you are staying in the Tisbury room upstairs right? In a very unpleasant manner. We helped ourselves to breakfast. The waffles and toast were extrely dry from being on the warmer for an extended time. We noticed that there was only a mother and her daughter on the porch with us and it seemed like the rest of the inn was empty.
At check out with went to speak with the owner in a very polite and civil manner. He started to raise his voice at us, he was turning red with anger when I expressed that we were disappointed. He yelled "Well what do you wnat me to do now, you didn't say anything before!!!!" As we mentioned earlier, we called him the first night, and he ignored us the next day, and the inaccessible inn keep was unfriendly and nasty to us. We were on our honeymoon and we didn't want to have any major problems, so we were just trying to make the horrible Innexperience. It is a wonder he had room in that inn, since we could find any empty rooms in almost all of Martha's Vineyard, yet there were roms available at TwinOaks Clark and Hanover Inns.
We told the owner Steve that we didn't like the way he was treating us and talking to us and told us to get out and that he would be happy if we never return because he has had over 25,000+ reservations and he doesn't care that we didn't enoy our stay!!! He also turned to my husband and asked him "Does she always complain?" attempting to demean me, which was inappropriate and rather unprofessional! We reported the incident to the Martha's Vineyard Chamber of Commerce, as many people are just exhausted after there vacation and they do not bother to follow up with a negative experience. They usually forget and move on. We just do not want this to happen to anyone else, so we are letting you know that this place needs to be renovated, it is rather filthy and violating health codes. Nothing romantic about this place. Horrifying experience..we are very well experienced travelers and this is not a good place. Will post photos shortly after we upload them.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank GetOutofMyInn
Florida
Reviewed 30 June 2009

Room was one and a half hours late being ready from our CONFIRMED check-in time, which made getting to the wedding we were attending crazy. Toilet overflowed twice- I was given a plunger. Bathrooms have zero room for anything. Breakfast kiesh was good.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
fuerteventura
Reviewed 9 June 2009

We stayed for three nights in may, and found the Inn to be lovely, the rooms very pretty and luxurious, the porch traditional Vineyard. The location is a bit out of town, up a steep hill, not ideal for walking, as the sidewalk is very broken up, but fine if you are fairly fit and the buses pass by the end of the road and will drop you off and pick you up if they think it is safe to stop. Great way for seeing the whole island. We were disappointed by the service, we didn´t see the Innkeepers, only the girls who did the breakfast who didn´t seem very happy with their jobs and spent the whole time whispering about it in the kitchen! The breakfasts were fine, but nothing to write home about; all in all we had a great stay, but didn´t notice a particularly welcoming environment

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
NH
Reviewed 15 May 2009

My husband and I just had such a wonderful time staying with The Clark House. It was our first time to the Vineyard and everyone at the B & B was so helpful and friendly. Our room was great and the wonderful breakfast got us off to a good start every day! Thank you so very much!
Raymond and Nancie

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Boston
Reviewed 2 April 2009

I had to go to the Vineyard on business and I knew I would need to be there for a few days in March and then again in April so I wanted to find someplace that would be convenient but also someplace I could relax in after a day of meetings. The Clark House far exceeded my expectations. I was new to the Vineyard but the innkeeper picked me up at the ferry and gave me a very gracious quick tour of the area so I could get my bearings. The Inn is lovely, comfortable rooms, lovely antique furnishings and an incredible breakfast. They have a very delightful suite on the top floor that I plan to return to with the grandkids. Business trips can be very wearing but I felt pampered and completely at home at The Clark House. I would give top ratings to the Inn and the Innkeeper, who went out of her way to make my stay perfect.
Martha

Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
Vermont
Reviewed 17 March 2009

We stayed for our honeymoon and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The rooms were spacious, clean, updated and quiet. The breakfast was great and the innkeeper very friendly. The only drawback for those on foot is that it is a little walk from the ferry. Not a big deal, but if you travel light you'll be fine, and of course you can always catch a cab. The shuttles go right by, so you can access the whole island from this B&B!

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
#2 of 4 in Edgartown
The 1720 House
The 1720 House
#4 of 11 in Vineyard Haven

Been to The Clark House? Share your experiences!