“Clean, Courteous but Breakfast was a Disappointment”

HYATT house Boston/Waltham
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Waltham
Reviewed 8 February 2008

The Suites are very clean, staff friendly and courteous. Good location off 95, quiet too. The breakfasts were very disappointing. I realize it's continental but that's no reason why it couldn't have been better. We ate around 9:15, about 15 minutes prior to the continental service ending. There were many other guests still eating or just coming down to dine as well. The omlettes with cheese were little rubber yucky triangles .. so I decided to have some healthy cereal, the milk was "warm", so I passed on that and decided to have some fresh (or so I thought) honeydew & cantaloupe) ... the honeydew was old, had a funny taste like fish so I didn't eat it. I am certified by the Board of Health, so I do know what I'm talking about. Didn't see any healthy muffins or even pancakes on the buffet ... I might go back, but would bring my own breakfast or there are many other hotels in the area, I might try one of them next time.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 January 2008

Spent a weekend in a 2 bedroom suite. Lots of space, clean, and quiet. Beds were very comfortable. We had 3 tvs and 2 full bathrooms, a complete kitchen, and comfy sofas. The included breakfast was adequate and convenient. We will certainly return when we are in the Boston area. It is so much better than just staying in a regular hotel room.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Bobrich
Reviewed 18 October 2007

We stayed at Waltham Summerfield Suites for the second time this past Columbus Day weekend, visiting our son who is a student at Boston College. It's convenient to BC, being about a 20 minute drive from the main campus in Chestnut Hill. The hotels in Boston or Brighton, although closer to BC, do not offer the same amenities or value that Summerfield Suites does.

This time around we had a 2 bedroom suite for our party of 4. Similar to our first stay here last Spring (when we had a one bedroom suite), the suite was very clean and comfortable. The suite is attractively laid-out, with a nice entry way, common area, 2 bathrooms (one in each bedroom), dining table and kitchen. Generous closet space throughout. The bathrooms are adequate size. We don't lke having the bathroom sink outside the toilet/shower area, but we made do for our stay. The kitchen is fully equiped with full size stove, refrigerator and dishwasher. All accessories are included, such as pots/pans, silverware, china, dishwasing liquid and even paper towels.

The towels and bed linens are very nice, and the toiletries are good quality. The beds were comfortable (new mattresses, according to the labels), including the pull-out sofa bed that our teenager used.

There were three TV's in the suite, one each in the bedrooms and common area. The section of the hotel we stayed in was very quiet, just like our first visit.

A full buffet breakfast is included, which offered eggs, bagels, cereals, fruit, yogurt, a wide selection of teas and juices, and coffeee.

Front desk staff is professional and courteous, although we really didn't need their services all that much for our stay.

There's a lot of hotel competition in this area of Waltham and the Summerfield Suites is a good choice.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank QualityTraveler
Reviewed 30 September 2007

Having been to the Boston area 3 times for college visits for my daughter who is a student at BC...we finally found a hotel that works for us...Waltham is about a 20 minute ride to BC..very close off exit 27a of 95 with other many nearby hotels.

We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite which includeda full kitchen with stove, full size fridge/freezer., toaster,dishwasher and microwave and breakfast bar, this was off the compact livingroom which had a sectional couch with chaise, a very large flat screen LCD TV. The couch flips open to a full size bed. There is a seperate bedroom, also compact with a king bed ( very firm), large TV on the desser . The bathroom is off the bedroom with a large sink/vanity area and seperate toilet and tub.

Price was $122 booked 5 months ahead for parents w/e and when we checkin in we inquired and got a government discount rate of $104 per nite!!!!

Breakfast was included and consisted of hot and cold items..such as french toast, scrambled eggs, hash and various breads, muffins and a few small pastries, and cereals..

The lobby/breakfast area was very nice and spacious with plenty of comfortable seating and 2 very large flat screen LCD TV's.

My daughter stayed with us 1 nite and was happy that there is free wireless access in our room. The pool area was closed, but looked very large witha good sized pool, lounges, tables and chairs. 2 large weber gas grills were also available for guest use

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank JoyceinNY
Reviewed 18 September 2007

Just returned from a trip to Boston with my husband and son to check out colleges. We stayed at this hotel which has recently been taken over by the Hyatt Hotel group. Waltham is twenty minutes outside Boston and close to several of the colleges we visited. We were very pleasantly surprised by the accomodation - two king size bedrooms each with own bathroom and a living room/kitchen with full size fridge, stove and microwave. There is a pool and spa which we could not use as they were closed for the season but were a decent size. Price included breakfast every morning with hot and cold options.
I would certainly stay here again and recommend it for families travelling with children or teens

Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed 26 July 2007

The two bedroom suite was ample as advertised and was perfect for my family of five. Everything was clean and functional. We could not have eaten a full meal comfortably in the room, since there were only two desk chairs and a teeny counter, but there was plenty of closet space, bathroom space and sleeping space. The free breakfast was good--a selection of fresh hot food, cereals and breads/pastries. I would have liked more fresh fruit. We made it to the evening reception once and it was a LOT of food--hot pasta, hot soups, salad, cheese and crackers and other snacks. We ended up skipping dinner that night and going out for ice cream instead. The kids were mildly disappointed that the pool was only four feet deep, but it was big enough for them to play happily. The hot tub was not full or functional. We did not need a whole lot of service from the front desk, but overall the service was "okay." Front desk clerks seemed overwhelmed and kind of busy and didn't give us any real local insights other than providing driving directions.

We would definitely stay here again for a family trip to Boston. The Alewife T station was about a 20 minute drive away, but parking lots fill up early so don't sleep in too late. Riverside station might be closer but was closed for renovations during our July 2007 stay.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank KatrinaPa
Reviewed 3 June 2007

We had a spacey economic room, I mean it is worth what you pay for. It's a clean hotel, but expect to find problems every time. I've been in this hotel 4 times since it was Whyndam. I found it better since it's a Hilton, but still the service is poor. When we stayed in a two bedroom suite the toiletries where left daily, but when we changed to a one bedroom suite they were only added if needed, and once I ran out of toillet paper and there was no tissue paper! I have had small disturbances with customer service on different occasions, since when it's not the internet service that isn't working, it's the closet door, or the remote control, or the dishwasher, once it was no heating system for a day, and I wasn't charged for that day, but the dishwasher was never fixed during my whole stay. What bothers me the most is the bed sheets. They don't have fitted sheets so they always run out of undrneath the mattress and you end up sleeping on the bear mattress in the corners. Plus the beds are barely made, just straightened up. The food is second quality but there is always the option of having your own in the kitchen of the suite. As I said, for a long term stay, it's a good price if you are willing to put up with small pecadillos every time. I've seen people loosing it with the front desk attendants and not getting anywhere with bad temper. Otherwise you feel like home, and I am sad to leave. Next year I will be trying another Hotel though.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business