“Loved this place” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Waltham
Shippenville, Pennsylvania
“Loved this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

We were traveling with our 3 young adult children. I reserved a two bedroom suite. Lots of room, two bathrooms, clean, close to Waltham and Boston, great breakfast, and....above all, reasonably priced. A great find!!! Would stay again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Carrie B, General Manager at HYATT house Boston/Waltham, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Dear etm85,

Thank you so much for the kind words of your stay with us here at the HYATT house Boston/Waltham. We strive to make everyone as comfortable as just like they are at home. I hope that if you come back to the Waltham or Boston area again, that you will choose us again for you stay. Thank you again and have a great day!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

I stayed here on a business trip and although my room was nice, the hallways and outside were not maintained. I arrived on a Monday afternoon and someone had spilled dirt from a plant in the hallway of a stairwell and it stayed there until I checked out on Friday morning. The building had some work done on their fire sprinklers in the halls and drywall pieces and dirt were all over the halls for 2 days. If you're planning to just stay in your room, all will be fine. The housekeepers cleaned my room very well when I left a tip. The building is noisy - lots of kids running the halls and the walls are thin. I might stay here again because I really do like the convenience of making my own meals when I'm business traveling and Waltham is away from Boston, but close enough to get there easily. The free breakfasts and dinners are a nice feature too and the food is OK. My bed was very comfortable and the room is nicely laid out. The staff are nice too.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ArmyNurse2
Carrie B, General Manager at HYATT house Boston/Waltham, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
ArmyNurse2,

Thank you for your reveiw and I appreciate your feedback about the hotel. I apologize for the expereince that you had with us and please know that we are working on bettering the hotel. We did have our mixing valves replaced during your stay and I apologize that we did not clean up after they were installed. I will be speaking with my Chief Engineer and let them know that this happened as well as speak with my Executive Housekeeper about your comments. Again I appreciate all your feedback.
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

Stayed here recently on vacation in Boston with my family of four (two teens). We booked a 2 bedroom suite through an advance sale at a great price. Arrived to find that there were "mechanical problems" with the two bedroom suites. The manager had emailed me while I was en route, and did his best to find a good alternative for us. We were given two adjacent one bedroom suites for the same price, which worked out fine. The property is about 20-30 min from downtown Boston in a business park area. It is surrounded by suite hotels and office buildings. Not much in the immediate area - certainly nothing you can walk to. But there are some pluses - it is easy to get downtown, there is easy access to I-95, and the town of Waltham has a nice little main street and is just a few minutes away (recommend Taqueria Mexico if you want to eat nearby). Nice pool and patio area. The suites were nice - kitchens are well equipped, living room is ok (couches are hard and there is not enough lighting). Beds were very comfortable. Separate sink and bathroom area. WiFi is free, but signal seems to be weak. There is a hot breakfast buffet included, which is a bonus, particularly for families. Big downside on this property is the housekeeping and maintenance - the rooms are in relatively good shape, but the maintenance of the common areas is atrocious. The rug in the hall outside our room was not vacuumed for our entire three day stay. There are huge cobwebs on the windows in the dining area, and there are chunks of upholstery missing from the banquettes. There was a towel on the floor outside a door near the lobby for three days because something was leaking in that room. They also forgot to clean one of our rooms one day. It's too bad - with a little work it could be a great property.

1 Thank JustAskMe27
Carrie B, General Manager at HYATT house Boston/Waltham, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear JustAskMe27,

Thank you for your kind words about our property. We do love to hear all of the great comments regarding our guest stay. I am so glad that Gary was able to assist you with the 2 rooms. I will be working with our housekeeping and maintenance department on the concerns/issues that you have spoken off. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to our house!
Shelton, Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

Hotel was poorly maintained and unkept. Dirty floors throughout the hotel for my entire weekend stay. Old large dirty carpet stains as you get off elevator on third floor and second floor. Door in bathroom would not close. Trash left on hall benches. The list goes on and on. No snacks or other items on shelfs in the store the entire weekend. Older lady at the front desk unhelpful and appeared to brush you off when asked a question. Poor service for a Hyatt property...Always book with Hyatt. Would not recommend this property...it was a terrible stay will be contacting Hyatt customer service directly to report this train wreck...

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Browniect107
Dear Brownject107,

Thank you so much for your review. We really appreciate our guest comments and always listen to what you are saying. We are in the process of working with a third party vendor to come in and take care of our common area carpets and furniture. I apologize for the guest market not having much of a selection for you during your stay. I truly understand your frustration and I'm sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my teenage daughter who was attending a seminar. The seminar was scheduled in the hotel from 9 AM to 2 PM on Saturday. We checked in at 5 PM on Friday afternoon. We were assigned a room on the 2nd floor adjacent to the elevator. I asked if we could be moved away from the elevator and the nice young lady at the check-in desk re-assigned us to a room on the first floor in the back of the building overlooking the pool cleaning room and adjacent to the back elevator. (I will post a pic from our room). Oh well, I guess it was all they had to offer. Upon arrival I requested an extended checkout from 12 noon to 2 PM. She told me that I would have to wait until the morning to put in the request. At 9 AM I asked Janice at the front desk if I could extend my check out and she said the best she could give me was 1 hour. (Gary, the manager, was standing right next to her at the desk) At 1 PM, I checked again to see if I could stay in my room until 2 PM and Janice said NO. She told me that If I was a Hyatt Diamond member, I could stay until 2 PM, but since I am only a Hyatt Gold member the best she could offer was 1 PM So I sat in the lobby from 1 till 2 pm waiting for my daughter. Just for curiosity sake, at 2 PM, I walked by my room and noticed that housekeeping had just arrived to start cleaning the room, so it stayed untouched for the whole hour! I don't understand why Janice (and her manager Gary) wouldn't let me stay in the room.
I understand that rooms need to be cleaned and turned-over, but I was only asking for 2 hours, not all day. And the room location was clearly not their most popular room.
Although Janice said they were "very busy", quite honestly, it was a ghost town while I was waiting in the lobby. I think some retraining in customer service would be helpful!
The room was neat and clean.

1 Thank Susan A
Carrie B, General Manager at HYATT house Boston/Waltham, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
Dear Susan M:

Thank you for writing a review about our property. We know how frustrating it can be not to receive a late check out. Please let me apologize for the later check out not being available for you. We were completely sold out that weekend and needed to get every room ready for the guests due to arrive that afternoon.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

Stayed in Hyatt Place but never tried Hyatt House. Will stick to this chain from now on because of the good services and the suites layout just fit my family's need. We've booked 1BR with separate living room and kitchen for my husband and 2 teenagers. The manager Gary was so nice to upgraded us to a 2 BR suites. The rooms are very clean and kitchen well equipped. Different hot food like ham and bacon were provided in different mornings. Perfect for family.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Carrie B, General Manager at HYATT house Boston/Waltham, responded to this review, 13 July 2013
Dear Juliana,

Thank you for your kind words about our property. We do love to hear all of the great comments regarding our guest stays. I am so glad that Gary was able to assist you with all you needed. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to our house!
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

We've stayed at this Hyatt House three times now and it never disappoints. This time we took a two bedroom suite which was spacious, clean and well-appointed. The hotel is impeccably clean and the staff are always very friendly and helpful. Buffet breakfast and a manager's reception (essentially dinner) are included in the price (the latter only on weekdays) so it is an excellent deal. As we always stay when our son is attending football camp we really appreciate the laundry facilities, pool and gym.

Well done!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Carrie B, General Manager at HYATT house Boston/Waltham, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Dear Laughinglady,

We are so happy that you enjoy your stays at the Hyatt House in Waltham. We truly appreciate your business and loyalty to our property! We are looking forward to your next visit from Canada!