“Something has changed, and not for the better”

HYATT house Boston/Waltham
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Waltham
Seattle, Washington
“Something has changed, and not for the better”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I returned recently from a quick trip to Waltham. I have stayed at this property more times than I can remember over the 4 years my child has attended a nearby college. We checked in at midnight on a Saturday. We were given keys to a room and were happy to get to sleep after traveling cross country all day. We opened the door to find the security latch blocking our entry. The room was occupied! We returned to the front desk and were eventually given another room and the gentleman made sure it was unoccupied. He also double checked that the previous room was listed as available in their system. He called the poor people we woke and their name was not showing up in the system. When we finally got into our room, the furniture had pen drawings on it, the counters were stained, and the king bed did not have a top sheet, though the other beds did. It only had the scratchy waffle-textured duvet cover which was very uncomfortable. The next morning the fire alarm went off and the hotel had to be evacuated--not necessarily their fault, but we were getting very frustrated. We are attending our child's graduation in May and looking for 12 rooms for family and friends. We had assumed that we would stay at the Hyatt House, but with the problems of this trip and the horrible condition of the public spaces, I believe we will look elsewhere. I did bring this to the attention of the management upon check out. They were appropriately apologetic, but I think they have much work to be done to improve the property to its previous condition.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Carrie B, General Manager at HYATT house Boston/Waltham, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for filling out a review of our Hotel. I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you encountered with your past stay with us. Our reservation system had a small glitch and it has been fixed. These type of issues rarely happen at our hotel.

I do want to apologize for the room that you checked in to was a poor portrayal of our rooms here at the Hyatt house. All of our rooms have been put on a more vigorous deep clean program since you have departed from our property.

I do want to thank you again for bringing all of you comments and issues to our attention and they have been addressed to all of our management team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hood River, Oregon
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I stay here often, it's convenient, I know the area well and its affordable. Sure, it's getting a bit threadbare and maybe the public spaces could be cleaned better and more often, but you get what you pay for.

My latest stay however, has me rethinking staying here again. It could best be described as a comedy of errors, at worst, truly aggravating.

On my first night, after settling in, someone from the front desk tried to enter my room, surprised to find it occupied. A call of apology came several minutes later.

On my second night, I went to my room and the key didn't work. No, I didn't put the key next to my phone. No, i still wasn't "officially" in my room I found out. BUT, the hotel apologized and made amends -- and I was prepared to write a very nice review.

Now, on my third night, I went to my room, the key didn't work. Nope, again, I did not put my key next to my phone. Apparently, the front desk told me, I had checked out. Well, no I hadn't. He recharged the key and I was hoping my luggage was still in the room. I asked him to have the manager call me, I guess he didn't take me seriously (although I did use a stern tone).

I'm not sure just how mistakes could be repeated over and over. I am a big fan of the Hyatt chain, but I think this is one location I'm going to avoid in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Carrie B, General Manager at HYATT house Boston/Waltham, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to fill out a review about our Hyatt House. I want to personally apologize for the repetitive issues about that you had with our housekeeping services and please know that all of your issues will be addressed to our management team. We do hope we can be a service to you in the future.
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed at the Waltham Hyatt in Boston for two nights in May. To my knowledge, all rooms are suites. The room was clean, quiet and had a kitchen. The complimentary breakfast was excellent...with omelets made to your taste and a huge variety of other foods and beverages. They had a social time on weeknights (which we were sorry to miss). There is a great restaurant across the highway (The Copper House Tavern) where we went one night, and used the Costco right across the freeway and brought our dinner back to the room the other night. Of all the hotels we stayed on our trip to Boston, this one was the best. The employees were all very friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend this hotel. You will not be sorry.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Carrie B, General Manager at HYATT house Boston/Waltham, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking time and filling out a review for our Hotel. We appreciate your positive feedback and pass it along to all of our staff.

We hope to service you again soon!
Palm Bay, Florida
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We have stayed here twice in the past year for personal reasons that kept us at the hotel more then going out to explore the area.... We had a wonderful experience and even had a room upgrade the 2nd time we came to visit. The rooms do seem like they are a little worn out and need a bit of an upgrade but we felt just comfy and at home. We loved the breakfast in the morning and the social hours were a great touch during the week. If we come back to the area and had the chance to stay here again we would.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Carrie B, General Manager at HYATT house Boston/Waltham, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to complete our Guest review regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I stayed here while traveling for business. This Hyatt House was a little bit older than others that I have stayed in- the rooms seemed a little dated. The biggest downside was that there is no restaurant in the hotel- they do have an evening social hour and also breakfast, but if you miss those time windows you are out of luck. Also, the bathrooms had shampoo and conditioner, but no body lotion (I love body lotion!). But that is a very minor point and I'm sure I could have gotten some if I had requested it. Also not a big fan of they type of coffee in the rooms. But, again a very minor point.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Carrie B, General Manager at HYATT house Boston/Waltham, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a guest review of Our Hyatt House. Please know that all of your feedback is very helpful and will be used to help us improve. I apologize that your stay was not 100% to your satisfaction. Please note the all of your comments will be addressed with Our Hyatt House Management Team.

It is our Hope that we can service you again in the future!
Los Angeles
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Stayed here on holiday for a night(in town for the Rex Sox) before heading to the Cape. I have stayed in Hyatt Houses that were flat out awful(New Jersey) to very good(Dulles). Happily to say, this property was on the very good end of the scale. Everything with the property met expectations, check in, breakfast and facilities were all good. It can be a little difficult to find, but the location just off 128 is convenient if you pay attention to your directions. There are some renovations going on in a first floor corridor, but there is no impact for guests. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the landscapers got an early start, but other than that very minor concern everything else here is fine.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Carrie B, General Manager at HYATT house Boston/Waltham, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear valued guest:

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to writ a review about Our Hyatt House regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Kutztown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed at the Hyatt House/Waltham for the weekend so the men could see the Red Sox and the women could sight see. We had 14 people ranging from 74 to 16- the rooms were excellent, clean and very comfortable. The breakfast buffet was outstanding and the staff was very friendly. Would stay here again and recommend this hotel to everyone!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Carrie B, General Manager at HYATT house Boston/Waltham, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to fill out a review about Our Hyatt House. We appreciate your positive feedback about our hotel.Thank you for spreading the good word to everyone.

We hope to see you again in the near future!