“Great Location for College Visits”

HYATT house Boston/Waltham
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Waltham
Miramar, FL
“Great Location for College Visits”
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We just stayed at the Hyatt House Waltham for a week long college road trip in the Boston area. Our family of 4 wanted extra room and TVs given a long 7 night stay. The suite was like having an apartment for a week. The trio room was the biggest in the house with the possible comforts, including 2 baths and kitchen. Best pro was the location, right off the highway, but still on quiet street away from traffic notice. Easy commute to all colleges visited in the area and sightseeing side trips to Salem and Plymouth. Breakfast was good, if not great. Omelette station and breads were great, other items were just good. Breakfast room was small and had some too many high chairs, in awkward setup that made some tables uncomfortable. There weren't many cons, an unusual smell in the lobby, elevator, and hallway, signs of aging throughout common areas, especially on carpets. Again room was just right and that's what mattered most.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Carrie B, General Manager at HYATT house Boston/Waltham, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for filling out a Tripadvisor review about our Hyatt House. We really appreciate all of your feedback and it is very important to us so we can improve our services. We are very happy that we were a great accommodation for you for your college visits. I would like to apologize that our common areas were not up to your expectations and we have addressed the issues to our Hyatt house team. We really hope to see you again in the future for your visits to our local colleges and universities.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 3 July 2014

My experience at this hotel was a good one. It started with the booking of about 40 rooms, the hotels sales manager Nicole Nightingale was the most accommodating, pleasant, professional ever. She went above and beyond for our group because with so many families traveling with us and everyone needing different accommodations I'm sure it can be frustrating but she was understanding and patient.
We were in town for Zero Gravity Nationals basketball tournament, our organization is from the NYC Metro area and the travel was well over 5 hours.The room set up was perfect for families, we had no problems with check in. Breakfast was just okay, nothing special but it was free. On Saturday afternoon the hotel receptionist allowed us to have a large courtyard bbq for our players which was a major hit with my team. They went above and beyond to make sure we had what we needed to start our bbq, the kids used the pool while we grilled up hot dogs and hamburgers and it was a grand ole good time. I would definitely stay here again, its perfect for sports teams and their families. We had no problems of any sort with housekeeping or cleanliness. Thanks again to Nicole Nightingale for setting us all up, I suspect with a name such as Nicole Nightingale you have to be a customer's dream. Great Job Hyatt!!

Room Tip: If you're traveling with a large group try to get all the rooms next to each other, if you reque...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Carrie B, General Manager at HYATT house Boston/Waltham, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Cass B

Thank you so much for taking the time and filling out a Tripadvisor review of the Hyatt house Boston Waltham. We appreciate all of your positive feedback and hope t see you again next time you are in the area. I will definitely pass this review on to Nicole for you and thank you again for your positive comments.
Carmel, NY
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This is a typical business suite style chain hotel. I normally do not like to stay in properties such as this as you really do not get the local flavor of wherever you are, but we were in the area for a wedding and the price was competitive. The room was fine; and I should point out all staff members were friendly and helpful. Cleanliness appeared to be an issue; we noticed food debris on the floor in the hallways, and even worse the pool bathroom was filthy, with soaking wet floors, a wet towel on the floor, and a dirty bowl. This was not after a day of hard use as we used the pool first thing in the morning. (By the way, 10AM is a little late to open the pool, especially since the facilities were not even clean.) We also noted pool tiles crumbling and/or broken off The breakfast room was packed and hectic, but when you're offering a free breakfast this is to be expected. This area appeared to be well controlled. All in all, not bad, but some attention to detail is needed.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Carrie B, General Manager at HYATT house Boston/Waltham, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear SheriffBart,

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a Trip Advisor Review. I want to apologize personally for the cleanliness issues that you experienced while staying with us. All of your feedback is very important to all of us and we have addressed all of your issues with our Management team and their staff. I am happy to hear that our staff was very helpful to you.

Thank you again for all of your feedback and we hope to be a service to you again in the future!
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We reserved a 2BR/2BA suite for three nights at this hotel while our son underwent surgery at nearby Boston Children's hospital. We arrived at the hotel at 12:30pm, and were pleased that they had a room ready for us. We were not so pleased, when we realized after about 90 minutes that the A/C was not working. We called down to the front desk, but could not be heard because the phone didn't work. In the hotel's favor, they sent Eric from engineering up right away to fix our phone. We informed him that the A/C was also broken, and he undertook to fixing it. Unfortunately, we learned, we could not be moved because the hotel was oversold. So we slept that night with the windows open, which triggered a major allergy attack for me because of the high pollen levels. It's been a week, and I'm still suffering the effects. Anyway, the A/C was fixed the next day, and our first night was comped, so they did do what they could to make it right. My husband said the breakfast buffet was above par. But in general, the physical plant of this hotel is old. It is showing its age. The floors are slanted, and the bathrooms are out dated. If not for the generously-sized rooms and the kitchenette, we probably would not stay hear again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Carrie B, General Manager at HYATT house Boston/Waltham, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear jdjd2004

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay on Tripadvisor. I'm very sorry to hear of the A/C issues you experienced in your room. We also received your comments directly to the hotel and are glad we had an opportunity to fix this for future guest. I do apologize that you your allergies flared up due to the open windows. I am happy that we were able to accommodate you and we hope to service you again in the future.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I returned recently from a quick trip to Waltham. I have stayed at this property more times than I can remember over the 4 years my child has attended a nearby college. We checked in at midnight on a Saturday. We were given keys to a room and were happy to get to sleep after traveling cross country all day. We opened the door to find the security latch blocking our entry. The room was occupied! We returned to the front desk and were eventually given another room and the gentleman made sure it was unoccupied. He also double checked that the previous room was listed as available in their system. He called the poor people we woke and their name was not showing up in the system. When we finally got into our room, the furniture had pen drawings on it, the counters were stained, and the king bed did not have a top sheet, though the other beds did. It only had the scratchy waffle-textured duvet cover which was very uncomfortable. The next morning the fire alarm went off and the hotel had to be evacuated--not necessarily their fault, but we were getting very frustrated. We are attending our child's graduation in May and looking for 12 rooms for family and friends. We had assumed that we would stay at the Hyatt House, but with the problems of this trip and the horrible condition of the public spaces, I believe we will look elsewhere. I did bring this to the attention of the management upon check out. They were appropriately apologetic, but I think they have much work to be done to improve the property to its previous condition.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Carrie B, General Manager at HYATT house Boston/Waltham, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for filling out a review of our Hotel. I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you encountered with your past stay with us. Our reservation system had a small glitch and it has been fixed. These type of issues rarely happen at our hotel.

I do want to apologize for the room that you checked in to was a poor portrayal of our rooms here at the Hyatt house. All of our rooms have been put on a more vigorous deep clean program since you have departed from our property.

I do want to thank you again for bringing all of you comments and issues to our attention and they have been addressed to all of our management team.
Hood River, Oregon
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I stay here often, it's convenient, I know the area well and its affordable. Sure, it's getting a bit threadbare and maybe the public spaces could be cleaned better and more often, but you get what you pay for.

My latest stay however, has me rethinking staying here again. It could best be described as a comedy of errors, at worst, truly aggravating.

On my first night, after settling in, someone from the front desk tried to enter my room, surprised to find it occupied. A call of apology came several minutes later.

On my second night, I went to my room and the key didn't work. No, I didn't put the key next to my phone. No, i still wasn't "officially" in my room I found out. BUT, the hotel apologized and made amends -- and I was prepared to write a very nice review.

Now, on my third night, I went to my room, the key didn't work. Nope, again, I did not put my key next to my phone. Apparently, the front desk told me, I had checked out. Well, no I hadn't. He recharged the key and I was hoping my luggage was still in the room. I asked him to have the manager call me, I guess he didn't take me seriously (although I did use a stern tone).

I'm not sure just how mistakes could be repeated over and over. I am a big fan of the Hyatt chain, but I think this is one location I'm going to avoid in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Carrie B, General Manager at HYATT house Boston/Waltham, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to fill out a review about our Hyatt House. I want to personally apologize for the repetitive issues about that you had with our housekeeping services and please know that all of your issues will be addressed to our management team. We do hope we can be a service to you in the future.
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed at the Waltham Hyatt in Boston for two nights in May. To my knowledge, all rooms are suites. The room was clean, quiet and had a kitchen. The complimentary breakfast was excellent...with omelets made to your taste and a huge variety of other foods and beverages. They had a social time on weeknights (which we were sorry to miss). There is a great restaurant across the highway (The Copper House Tavern) where we went one night, and used the Costco right across the freeway and brought our dinner back to the room the other night. Of all the hotels we stayed on our trip to Boston, this one was the best. The employees were all very friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend this hotel. You will not be sorry.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Carrie B, General Manager at HYATT house Boston/Waltham, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking time and filling out a review for our Hotel. We appreciate your positive feedback and pass it along to all of our staff.

We hope to service you again soon!