“Good but expensive”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Moscow, Russia
“Good but expensive”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed there for 3 weeks on a business trip.
The hotel is very spacious and has a lot of amenities listed (however, I did not have a chance to visit most of them because of lack of time). The reception staff is very friendly and attentive. On the day of my check-in, there were several issues with my room, the Wi-Fi was not working and there was no fridge and microwave oven as it was requested from the start. These issues were resolved quickly. By the way, didn't like the microwave, it smelled funny and had instructions in French, but I made my piece with it.
The room was quite nice, big enough to walk and think. They provide complementary water and a Starbucks coffee machine in your room (the last one was great, I used to get up really early that time because of jet-lag, and a cup of coffee was a great help). Be careful with that machine, however, it tends to leak a bit while preparing coffee, but this is due to unfortunate design, I guess. Supplies of coffee for the machine are restored every day by room cleaning stuff, which is nice.
The windows were big but could use renovation as there's chilly in the room when the weather was cold (March 2014 had incredibly low temperatures in Boston). The carpet was clean but had some unknown stains on it which were to stay there forever, I guess... The size of the bed was awesome, and the bed itself was comfortable (they use the Heavenly brand and are really proud of it), but the quality of the bedding and bathrobes was disappointing. They were polyester, not cotton, so I witnessed some magical effects with them (for example, static electricity charges crackling all over my bed, visible.... a little bit scary).
The TV is big, but sometimes slow and unresponsive . The wardrobe was big enough for all my stuff and I also found other furniture very useful. However, beware of USB charger ports on the table, the isolation there is not perfect and you can catch a tiny electricity charge to your fingers now and then.
The heat system was not helpful when it's cold outside. It was really chilly in my room despite the fact the heat was turned on to max temperature. Also, it was very noisy, you could actually wake up at night because of it.
The bathroom is fine, however I did not like the water temperature, too cold for my liking. The bathroom sink is large, and the counter is spacious and functional. There were plenty of clean towels and a big mirror. The hair dryer was also supplied, but it stopped working at some point (I guess, because of a malfunctioning outlet).
There's also a minibar in the room, but the prices are ridiculously high.
The room cleaning service was nice, regular and thorough. However, I did notice couple of days skipped for no reason. I really enjoyed their special eco-offer, which allows you to get $5 discount in the hotel restaurant and drinks lounge by skipping daily room cleaning.
The walls, however, were thin enough for me to hear conversations in the neighbour rooms and in the hall. The weekend sleep-in was often interrupted at 9.30am by room service and cleaning stuff walking and talking outside. Also, I stayed on the 4th floor, and the renovations were being done there at the time, so the construction noise was also present.
There's a Starbucks on the first floor near the lobby which was extremely useful and great, despite the limited assortment of pastry, however, their working hours were a little disappointing, especially on the weekend.
The Wi-Fi quality was average. It is quite pricey, and there are 3 available options to use. I used the medium one (which allows you free browsing), but was not satisfied with the speed. Video conversations via Skype with that option are possible but painful. The signal also tends to weaken when I was lying on the bed, which was really unfortunate, because I had to get up and sit at the table when I was too tired to do that. I tried the premium access option, but failed to see the difference, unfortunately.
There were no good restaurants just outside the hotel except for Dunkin' Doughnuts, so I was visiting hotel restaurant. The stuff there was friendly and nice, coffee was great. The breakfast buffet offers a wide range of dishes, yoghurt was amazing, and I liked pretty much everything I tasted during these 3 weeks. Dinner, however, is really expensive. The food is good and the service is nice, but 50 dollars for an entree and a dessert seems like too much. I heard a lot of complaints from other guests on that topic and saw peoply walking away after taking a look at the menu.
The hotel offers you a Chrysler cab service, which is not outrageosly pricey, and this is nice. I used it twice to get to the Riverside station and was very pleased with the drivers (they were Greek).
An interegsting fact: when I stayed there, there was a small fire in the kitchen one day in the morning, but it was quickly put out. The smell stayed for one day on the first floor, but the measures were taken to get rid of it. The restaurant was moved to a business room for a couple of days while its premises were quickly renovated.

Conclusion: I would not recommend it if you're on a budget.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank ixseeda
Kathleen G, General Manager at The Westin Waltham-Boston, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear ixseeda,
Thank you for your very detailed review. Overall, it sounds like you were pleased with the service you received during your extended visit. We completed our guest room renovation in April and are currently on the final phase of our multi-million dollar renovation which will be finished in late August. Many of the issues you noted in your review have been addressed during the ongoing renovation. We upgraded our high speed internet service and preformed extensive repairs on the in-room heating units. We are also undergoing a complete exterior project that will also be complete in August that has replaced all exterior seals around our windows and doors. This is a very exciting time for the Westin Waltham-Boston and we hope that you will visit us the next time your travels bring you to Waltham.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Stay here second time and it's been always good never had problem with Westin. Always classy, great price per night, clean everything on point.
Went to gym-perfect but one thing I didn't like was the smell of indoor pool. (Too many chemicals)

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Veronica D
Dear Veronica D,
Thank you for your fantastic review! We sincerely appreciate the 5-star rating! Please know that the engineering team has followed up regarding your comment on the pool to ensure that the chemicals are at the appropriate level. The entire Team looks forward to welcoming you back to the Westin Waltham-Boston soon!
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed in early June. Check-in was fast, but the front desk seems understaffed nonetheless. Check-in staff look about 18 years old, as usual these days.

This hotel has been under renovation for some time and further renovation is ongoing (apparently the restaurant is to be rebuilt in July or thereabouts). This hotel is hardly "old", but by American standards it already needs renovation.

This hotel is not for families or for romantics. It is located on a hillside overlooking a large and very busy highway, one which is challenging to cross as a pedestrian using the bridge (we don't recommend it). There are few safe places to walk or jog nearby. Waltham itself (home of Brandeis University) is several miles unshaded walk away. There are several other hotels (of lesser reputation) nearby. Otherwise, the whole area is a vast industrial estate, interrupted by large shopping venues (Home Depot, among others) and other facilities (Mass. General West, which we assume is a hospital). Large company "campuses" are nearby (Perkin-Elmer, Astra-Zeneca, etc). Across the street is a small sunken strip mall containing a donut shop and a submarine-sandwich shop. We took advantage of both places, because otherwise we were hostage to the hotel's restaurant, which is presumably where our corporate meeting got its programmed meals. Those were adequate - the desserts were quite good, in fact - and the restaurant/lounge has a good view

Remarkably, the hotel has no vending machines; the only "sodas" available are from a Starbucks in the lobby, which is small, has no seating, has limited food and limited hours (open 'til 3.30 pm on weekdays and 12 "pm" on weekends, whatever the "pm" really means).

We never did room service. The room-service menu lists many delicious-sounding entrees, but we had to consider the fees, which we had to write-down to make sure that we got them right.: "15% service charge, 3% administrative charge, $3.75 delivery charge, and 7% sales tax". Even by corporate standards, this is extraordinary, and is worse than what we would expect at a 4- or 5-star hotel in London or Paris.

Re the room: The TV had surprisingly few channels, and was surprisingly slow at changing channels. (At first, we thought it was non-functional.) The ones showing World Cup soccer were blacked-out, except in the restaurant. Coincidence? We think not.

The air-conditioning in the room was effective and the lowest temp was 65F. However, it was so noisy that we had to rise during the night to turn it off. One window did open, but the night temps were not cold enough for comfortable sleeping, and we closed it.

The bathrobes must have been polyester, because they stuck to us, and crackled with static. Why not cotton, like any truly sophisticated hotel? The bathroom had one advantage that we've not seen in general use, namely, an under-the-counter night-light, turned on by a wall switch.

Many people seem to have cabbed here from Boston Logan Airport. (Cost: $70-80 with tip.) The hotel has an agreement with a local "livery" company and can get you a black Chrysler ("They don't make the Town Cars anymore") to Logan for $70 flat, "tip included". We took advantage of this, and the car was clean and the driver polite.

We would have to think very, very carefully about whether we would attend any further corporate events at this site.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank ScienceTrip
Dear ScienceTrip,
Thank you for your very detailed review. We completed our guest room renovation in April and are currently on the final phase of our multi-million dollar renovation which will be finished in late August. We hope that you will consider visiting the Westin Waltham-Boston again when your travels bring you to the Waltham area.
Longueuil, Canada
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We only stayed one night, but it was fabulous. In the morning, I went to relax by the pool while my son slept. The pool is not big, but there was no one in it; could easily do laps in there, had I been motivated :-) The exercise room was cool, but not freezing with plenty of equipment, so no wait. The hotel shop Inside the Start Bucks had all the essentials. I was impressed with the quantity of useful merchandise. The only thing I wasn't impressed with was the service at the Star Bucks, but I guess that is not the hotel's business. The food available in the Starbucks was varied and fresh. The room was fantastic; so comfortable and I loved the leaf-shaped soap that smelled heavenly. There were great snacks in the room (you had to pay, but excellent choices). There is food just up the highway at the Burlington mall. You can eat what ever you want at very good prices (takes 5 mins to drive there). The view out the window was beautiful - we looked out over a pond.

Room Tip: I'd ask for a room overlooking the pond.
Green Features: You an recycle your towels. There is water in the exercise room, so you can bring your own bottle. You can also bring your own cup for the coffee.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Veronika C
Dear Veronika C,
Thank you for your wonderful review! We sincerely appreciate the 5-star rating of your experience with us! It was nice to read that you enjoyed our newly renovated guest rooms as well as our pool and Westin Workout Fitness Studio. Please accept my sincere apologies for the less than perfect service that you received in Starbucks. We have addressed your concerns with the appropriate individuals. We all look forward to welcoming you back to the Westin Waltham-Boston soon!
Hermitage, Pa
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We enjoyed this hotel - the rooms were clean, the beds are great, and the welcoming staff went out of their way to insure we were comfortable. Kuddos to Belicia, the woman who checked us in, and who took exceptional care of us - we will return! The hotel is located by the freeway, easy access to the suburbs of Boston - and is quiet.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear MagNoodles,
Thank you for your outstanding review! We sincerely appreciate your 5-star rating of our hotel! Belicia was thrilled that you took the time to recognize her in your review. It means so much to our associates to see their names on excellent postings! It’s so nice to know that you enjoyed your visit and we will all look forward to welcoming you back to the Westin Waltham-Boston soon!
Manchester
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The hotel looks very spacious and imposing from the highway, but once you are in I found it very chopped up into conference rooms. Bar/restaurant area nothing special, and food is high, we tried a pizza for $19.50, and a cheeseburger for 17.50, not bad but you get the point. I am not sure why this would be anything but for the business traveller. Rooms are decent, place seems clean. Extra charges for parking $15 amd internet $10 which I thought unnecessary when the room rate is over $200. You are nowhere near Boston, very commercial in immediate area, lots of chain restaurants, but you need to drive several miles. Stayed two nights for business, glad to leave the commercial atmosphere is excessive. .

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank tqmman2002
David A, Manager at The Westin Waltham-Boston, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Thank you for you review. To keep you in the know, we are currently under going a full restaurant and bar renovation. The renovation will be complete in September and will be offering a new menu and a new design concept. If your travels bring you back this way definitely check it out. I also appreciate your comments about the charges for internet and parking - we are always evaluating our pricing structures and will certainly keep your comments in mind. That said, we do offer many packages that include both to add value to your stay. Look for those on a future visit!
Syosset, New York
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed at the Westin Waltham-Boston with a group of 14 year olds and their dads. This place was perfect! Reasonably priced, clean and a pool and 24 hour health club. The breakfast buffet was awesome and there is also a Starbucks in the hotel. Located right off 95 so easy access to Boston (15-20 minute drive) and points south.

Rooms are small but junior suites are a great alternative and also reasonably priced.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with older kids the junior suites are a great alternative.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
David A, Manager at The Westin Waltham-Boston, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thanks for the great note. We work hard to provide a great place to stay and it looks like we met all of your expectations on this trip. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!