“Love this place”

Ranked #58 of 197 Restaurants in Waltham
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Latin, Spanish
Reviewed 8 February 2013

In 2011, I spent a couple of months in Waltham and this soon became my favorite restaurant there. the food is great - tasty and carefully prepared. It really tastes homemade. Love the plantains, the veggie "enchiladas" (what most mexican places would call a taco, with avocado, queso fresco, onions, lime - a perfect mix of salty, tart, crunchy and soft. addictive!), their homemade hot sauce (bring a bottle home as we do), the rice and beans (the beans still resembling beans not pureed into a thin paste as in some Mexican restaurants). was last here in July 2012; am planning another trip to Waltham in late March - this will be on my agenda for sure! If you haven't been and you like authentic, delicious food served in an unpretentious atmosphere (there's a TV showing football (soccer) in Spanish and always several guys watching), this is the place for you.

Reviewed 10 March 2011

This small treasure is one of my favorite restaurants in Massachusetts.Warning this is not a place to go on a first date,they might think you are cheap and tacky based on the simple decor. but the food is delicious,even if you have never had Latin food this is the place to try it Everything is home made, from the drinks like fruit shakes,to the flan desert.I have noticed that a lot of college students go here for dinner specially vegetarians.I now pick this place to go on my birthday or anniversary..I don't need decor to impress me.I always tell my husband if these people only knew how to advertise and decorate they would need reservations every day.So another thing to remember is to look in the restaurant and notice that you will see college students,local young families but most importantly Spanish families. They know its good,when was the last time Margaritas was full with local Latin people? Just saying. The place is a gem and the staff treat you like you are family just visiting. Parking is located on the moody street or behind Tedeshi. Love the simplicity of the menu and the quality is the food .

1  Thank fancydiva
Reviewed 18 May 2009

We were looking for somewhere to eat with our 2 year old and our parents and other family members on a Sunday morning in Waltham. We came across this gem. I dream of a breakfast that includes perfectly seasoned black beans, eggs with tomato and onion, platanos, and handmade tortillas. I was told the house special chorizo was also excellent. It seemed it was all cooked for us after we ordered it and we completely enjoyed the friendly, unpretentious atmosphere. There was plenty of room for our family and the servers and cooks were very kind. We will definitely make sure we get to enjoy it again. I actually took home the left over tortillas and blackbeans and ate it for breakfast today.

1  Thank pbs44
Reviewed 26 August 2006

Looks can be deceiving at Mi Tierra.

When I first walked in, the laminated menus and no nonsense decor didn't impress me. But then again, I wasn't coming for the ambiance. I was coming to feast. And what a feast!

My wife and I first tried Mi Tierra a few months ago when we moved to Waltham, and for relatively cheap eats ($10-$15 per person) it's our very favorite. The cheese or pork filled papusas are delicious (sort of like mini pitas filled with yummy stuff). Guacamole tostadas give a tasty crunch. Friends of mine rave about the huevos rancheros. The fruit drinks con leche are, to use a favorite phrase of my friend Shelly, "a party in my mouth." My favorite is the fresas (strawberry)-- like a milkshake, only not as thick.

But the real clincher at Mi Tierra is the variety in the combination plates. I never imagined that a simple mix of sweet fried plantains, black beans, rice and crema (sour cream consistency, only not sour) could be so delicious. My wife and I almost went into mourning when the restaurant closed for a month for summer vacation. If you're trying to impress a date with ambiance and higher prices, try the Tuscan Grill or The Elephant Walk nearby, but if you want a fantastic meal at a fraction of the price and don't care about no frills decor, Mi Tierra is for you.
Staff Friendliness: 5 stars
Service Speed: 3 stars (so let them know if you're in a rush). Decor: 3 stars
Food: 4-1/2 stars (You won't find better at this price)

Pros: Combination plates, fruit drinks con leche, friendly staff
Cons: decor is nothing to rave about

Let me know how you liked it!
malcolm.cooke@comcast.net

1  Thank mcooke

Been to Mi Tierra? Share your experiences!