“No need for a car and a nervous collapse”

Boston Tours Day Tours
Ranked #1 of 2 Tours in Waltham
Type: Bus Tours, Tours
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“No need for a car and a nervous collapse”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

It was great getting picked up right at our hotel door. We didn't have to drive into the city. There were 5 other hotel pick-ups, but it was done efficiently. The day was rainy and the government shut down forced lots of changes. The tour guide tried to do as much as possible, but the weather and the closures made the overall tour choppy. The bus was older and not very comfortable; the windows steamed up and made looking out of them almost impossible at times. This was our first time in Boston and someday we hope to have a more in-depth tour.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank GinMcG

Augusta, Georgia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 235 helpful votes
“Picked us up at our hotel for a good Highlights tour of Boston”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

We visited Boston 47 years ago to walk the Freedom Trail and have been to lots of big cities since then. We were finishing up a road trip and I welcomed the idea of not having to figure out trains, maps and streets for an entire day. This tour covered all the highlights as described in their brochure plus they picked us up at our hotel in Waltham. Ralph - (Henry) asked us about ourselves and did a good job describing things in Boston over the years since our visit in 1966. We started at the Old North Church which was an uphill walk. Good idea to do this first thing in the morning. The lunch stop was great at Quincy Marketplace. After lunch there was time to walk to a bit of the Freedom Trail. We enjoyed browsing at the outdoor market and picked up some fresh fruit to finish our lunch. One of the things I wanted to see this time was the USS Constitution at the naval yards. Their website and our driver made it clear that it is not always open and things happen. We got to the naval yards towards the end of the tour and walked through security and boarded "Old Ironsides" in a matter of minutes. We discovered it had been closed to tourists in the morning because of a retirement ceremony. We only went on the top deck but they do offer tours for all three decks if you have the time. This tour was very relaxing to me - I got choked up several times hearing the stories of our ancestors' bravery and their ideas for this country and the people. You can still visit cemeteries there with headstones of where these revolutionary patriots are buried - very touching. We had wanted to drive through Cambridge to see Harvard University's campus and we did that too. Our driver took good care of us all day and delivered us back to the Hilton Garden Inn right on time. Thanks Boston Tours for a great day.

Visited September 2013
Falconer, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Boston Tour”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

If you don't want to fight the traffic, and have never been to Boston, this would be the trip to take. They will pick you up at your hotel, great feature, and take you around Boston. You get an overview. Don't expect much, just someone else doing the driving. Next time I will know what I want to see and where to find it, or which tour will take me to what I want to see. It was long, and the driver was nice, but, the lame jokes wore on me after the first 2 hours. (Sorry) Couldn't really see much from the bus. Got a chance to get out and stretch your legs, but not enough time to get to places that the bus doesn't elaborate on. Bottom line, good for a first visit. Pricey.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank HappyVacationer458
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Highly recommended!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012 via mobile

Took a tour with Neal and completely enjoyed. He is born and raised in Boston and knows the city very well. The day we went, there was road construction going into the city. He knew a back way in to avoid the congestion thus still allowing for a complete tour. We were leaving on a cruise the next day so wanted to see as much as possible. I chose this company because they have smaller vehicles, max of 20 people. This smaller size allows for a more personalized tour. Everyone enjoyed Neal's wit and "bad" jokes. I would recommend this to anyone wanting to see the most of Boston in the shortest time. You can look at their website for all the stops, and we hit them all plus a couple extra.

1 Thank remarcm
Cedar Springs, Michigan
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Let someone else drive you around Boston”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

It was so nice having the boston tours bus pick us up from the Red Roof Inn in Southborough. Our group was small, only the 4 of us and a couple from Canada. Our driver was hilarious and even made fun of how we Michiganians pronounce "art" compared to the locals. We drove thru Harvard University and visited several historic sites such as George Washingtons command headquarters house. After that we stopped at the Bunker Hill Monument. There are 294 steps to the top if you want to try it. My legs were sore for the rest of the day but I did it. Then it was off to a navy shipyard. We climbed aboard an old WWII ship in dry dock. Next door was the USS Constitution which looks like an old pirate ship but we didnt have time to board it.

For our lunch break the driver dropped us off behind the Hard Rock Cafe in downtown Boston. I liked seeing the old north church where Paul Revere hung the lanterns to warn of the British coming. We crammed a lot into our tour and I feel it was money well spent. I would have had a nervous breakdown navigating around Boston and Charlestown (they filmed "The Town" with Ben Affleck there).

Visited August 2012