“Greek food lost”

Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Greek food lost”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

One thing that the Boston area does not have much of, is Greek Restaurants.
There are a couple, and the only one that closer matches the definition of a restaurant is Aegean Restaurant, in Watertown, Ma.
Aegean restaurant may be the worst I have seen, and I am not easily disappointed.
Maybe I expected too much, and As a Greek I should demand more from a restaurant that calls itself Greek.
The place was busy when we got there, and I figured that's a good sign.
But I was wrong.
Let me say what the best thing was.
It was the baklava, and if you have to wait until dessert to taste something good, then the cause is lost.
Service wasn't bad, maybe the wait person was new, bad it wasn't the kind that makes you warm and fuzzy all over.
One person of the group absolutely loves shrimp.
She got the shrimp cocktail, which, after taking one bite, she gave the rest to us, to eat.
On the menu it says jumbo shrimp, and they are $16.
Their idea of jumbo, and my idea of jumbo are, Grand Canyon apart.
The taramosalata, was not home made.
I am not positive about it, but it very much tasted like the one available at local Greek grocery stores. The least they can do, is make their own taramosalata.
The fried zucchini, and peppers dish, consisted of three slices of zucchini, and three peppers.
They were not fried, and they are supposed to be.
They presented it on a dish, with the three slices of zucchini on one side, the peppers on the other, and a heaping portion of skordalia, the garlic spread, in the middle.
It's like they were giving it away, that's how much was in there.
The fried calamari was, all three times, we got three of them, two orders initially, and another one 20 minutes later, uninspiring.
All of the calamari appetizers, all of them, had the same issue.
The tentacle part of them were clamped together, and you could see the uncooked batter holding them together.
One of the kids, had the chicken fingers, and found them okay.
I did not try one, so I have no opinion.
The avgolemono soup, was okay, but just okay.
The salmon salad,a salad with a piece of salmon, was described as just okay.
What really got me was the french fries.
A side of fries, with literally, no mire than ten steak fries.
The adults, 6 of us, had no meals, just appetizers, the children, 4 of them, had two soups, and 2 meals, we had a bottle of wine, and 5 drinks.
The bill was over $350 including the tip.
My thinking is this.
The place seems busy, and if the people who eat there, don't mind it, why fix it.
If I ever go back, I plan to return each and every dish that is not done right.
I guess I will have to return all of them.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank John A

Cambridge
“Best lamb ribs around”
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

I love this restaurant for its lamb ribs, salad dressing and olive oil and feta for the bread. Roasted potatoes are good too. The service is always friendly. We asked for a recommendation regarding Greek wine and our waiter brought two tastes so we could decide. One of them was quite good for a reasonable price. Atmosphere is pleasant, especially with the fireplace on a cold night. Don't be fooled by the outside, which is plain brick across from a mall. The interior is warm and inviting. Family owned.

Visited March 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“Best greek dressing- and it's homemade!”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

First off, this place is very cute inside. Not much for a view, as it is on a main road and at a busy intersection. It has a little fireplace with seating around it, a separate bar section (though still open to the restaurant) and a dining area. The wait staff is great, there are two people there who remember my order every time! Their bread and oil with feta is a delicious start to the meal. They serve cerean bread and loaf bread. The greek salads with grilled salmon on it is amazing! I usually split it when I go, as it is more than enough for two meals. The dressing that they provide is homemade and very light, so it's a great compliment to the salad. The combo plate is also a favorite of mine, and again, enough for two meals. The coffee is wonderful, and the cups are bottomless. It's a little pricey here, but if you get two meals out of one, it's kind of a bargain if you ask me!

• Visited May 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Skip it”
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

The hostess and waitstaff were all friendly and helpful, and helped us celebrate one of our party's birthday. The environment was fairly welcoming and friendly with a gas fireplace in the center of the room. My meal (the combination plate) was okay -- though it seemed mass produced or previously frozen. It did not seem fresh or homemade. The average age of the patrons on this evening was about 70. A huge weak spot is the ladies room. One of the toilets was marked "out of order" and the other had not a shred of toilet paper in it. Zero. Zippo. Nada. Overall my experience at Aegean was disappointing. I don't recommend it and won't return.

Manchester, New Hampshire
“First Greek Food”
Reviewed 22 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

This was my first experience having properly made Greek food. It was good, different flavor palette from what I am used to. Good food, good service and good wine.

Visited August 2013