“Looks can be Deceiving. Don't be fooled!”
Review of Greg's Restaurant

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Greg's Restaurant
Ranked #25 of 108 Restaurants in Watertown
Cuisines: American, Italian
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Don't let the looks fool you! This restaurant has been here for many years, and the decor and building does kind of give that away, but it has nothing to do with how good this place is. The few people who gave only two stars either caught them on an unusually bad day, or are being exceptionally nitpicky. I've NEVER experienced two star service or food at Greg's.

I've been here a number of times over the years and have always had great service with wonderful food, topped with a price that won't burn a hole in your debit card!

First, the waitresses are all very pleasant sweethearts, and are thoroughly knowledgeable about the menu and bar items. The food arrives, and you'd swear that your mom cooked it for you, especially if your mom happens to be Italian! Portions are generous, and you'll likely be bringing some home with you.

The decor could use some upgrading, and the carpeting is obviously well past its prime, but don't let that deter you from a great meal, with fabulous service and keep 'em on coming prices!

I think the bar area has a TV, but I couldn't swear to it. Parking is available in the lot right next door, and there is some on-street parking if the lot happens to be full.

Now I've got to do something I've never done before. Since my office is only a couple of miles away, I must drop in here for lunch sometime soon. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it! Campbell's soup no longer has the lock on the phrase "mmm good!"

2  Thank DFM_58

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Three of us arrived about 5:30 and were pleased to find an extensive menu available on their Early Bird special. The waitress came over - very hurried (though there weren't a lot of people at that point) but friendly and took our orders. She brought out two soups and one salad for my husband. They serve the dressing on the side in an open little cup that was balanced on the edge of the salad plate. You guessed it...she put the plate down and the dressing DRENCHED my husband's clothes...brand new vest, cotton sweater, t-shirt and pants.
Accidents happen...HOWEVER, the woman didn't even apologize but looked at him waiting for his reaction. She tried to wipe off his clothes with a napkin and then realized that this wasn't going to work got some wet cloths from the back. She finally said "Sorry" and kept assuring us that "it would come out in the wash". she never got a manager and, in fact, said that she was happy my husband took it so well because "The others get really mad" WHAT??? she does this often? Perhaps they need to invest in COVERS for the little plastic cups or just dress the salad themselves.
Anyway, the dinner came and the food was delicious (chicken parm and prime rib) and then she asked about dessert and coffee. I told her no to the coffee but would get the pudding that came with the meal. She brought out coffee for all of us...with spoons sticking out of them. I told her I didn't need it but I did need a spoon for the pudding. She pulled the spoon out of the coffee for me to use in the dessert!!! She then realized her error and decided to get me a clean spoon. Ok...not pleasant but not horrible....then came the bill...the FULL bill...nothing for the ruined clothing she caused.
When I took her aside and asked if she could do something, she said "I didn't MEAN to spill it." OK...then she said she'd wrap up a piece of chocolate cake for him (he's diabetic). Then she said she'd give me a couple of dollars off the meal, then $5 then she said to me "just subtract $10 from the bill". I was supposed to do that?
I understand that things happen...I do not typically complain but this just continued to be incompetence and insulting. And NO...the Italian Dressing stains did NOT come out of any of the clothing...they are completely ruined.

2  Thank debbmm
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Husband and I went to Head of Charles Regatta in Boston and rather than trying trying to eat in a crowded place at Harvard Square, he suggested we go to Greg's, as husband is a native of Watertown, MA. We retrieved our car at Alewife Station and drove to Watertown.

We each ordered club sandwiches which were excellent (took half of them home) and had a couple of beers. We sat in the bar area and were able to enjoy some college football and just relax.

The wait staff is very friendly and attentive. A very nice neighborhood restaurant, I highly recommend it!

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Good value and homestyle cooking. Lots of variety on the menu and large portions, we found that one dinner was plenty for two people, as you typically the meal includes soup or salad, entree and two sides.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

After a visit to Mt. Auburn Cemetery we went to Greg's for lunch. It looks like an old bar & grille from the outside and it is. It's a 4th generation Italian restaurant with an entrance through the bar. The dining room has a tin ceiling, dark wood walls and several booths and tables. It is a suitable place to bring children.

We all went with luncheon specials that were reasonably priced, a lot of food and pretty tasty. Three of us had eggplant parmesan with a choice of ziti or linguine and soup or salad, for $8.95. I took half of mine home for lunch the next day. Another had a grilled chicken on a house salad which was huge and another had the special pastrami sandwich with fries or slaw for about $6.50 and took half the sandwich home. The eggplant parm was nicely coated and fried with sauce over it. The sauce could have used more seasoning but was OK and the pasta was cooked just right. It was a good meal and well priced. I would recommend Greg's.