“Wow. Actually exceeded the hype.”
Review of Blue Ginger - CLOSED

Blue Ginger
Price range: US$41 - US$80
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Church St.
Transit: Commuter Rail to Wellesley Square
Description: Blue Ginger, located in Wellesley, brings urban dining and sophistication to the suburbs. In celebration of its 10-year anniversary, Blue Ginger expanded with a Rockwell Group-designed renovation, creating a chic, feng-shui inspired space with three distinct dining options. Enhancements include an updated main dining room in which to savor Ming's signature East-West cuisine, three private dining rooms, and the new Lounge at Blue Ginger, complete with cozy banquettes and a 10-stool granite bar. An Asian Tapas menu is served in the Lounge, featuring casual, shareable dishes like "Ming's Bings," Ming's East-West take on the burger. "Blue Ginger is unusual, not only because of the food or the room, but because it's a neighborhood restaurant of a type not found too often in the Boston area...those of us who live farther away will just have to travel now that the secret is out." --The Boston Globe *NOTE* Reservations are not accepted for The Lounge at Blue Ginger
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Blue Ginger is the flagship restaurant of celebrity chef Ming Tsai. I will admit that I was expecting a celebrity chef operated restaurant to be more about hype than food. I was wrong. We went for a lunch on a beautiful day. Sat outside and ordered a mix of the Asian tapas plates for the table off the Lounge menu. All plates were truly spectacular. I loved the beef sliders, as did everyone in the party. Other hits were the Salmon-Goat Cheese Rangoon and Tempura Shishito Peppers. The only even slight miss was the edamame. The sticky sauce didn't really add much flavor and certainly did not enhance the eating experience. Most in my party were looking for the Blue Ginger Gimlet only to be told it had been replaced by the Washington Street Gimlet, house vodka shaken with freshly squeezed lime and house made ginger syrup. All raved about how good it was. The presentations were perfect and the waiter was great. It was a great day to be outside but the view is just of a Wellesley street. Traffic was minimal so it wasn't a problem, just nothing really to see. All in all a fantastic dining experience.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I had lunch here this week with a friend. We sat in the bar area, in a high top booth. Much more comfortable for conversation and seating than in the main restaurant dining room. Food was delicious, although the service (from the bartender) was awfully slow...especially considering there were not many in his area.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I have to say - you have to book the table way in advance! But it worth it big time!!! One of the best restaurant experiences ever taste wise. The atmosphere is good too, nothing fancy but good. Love this place!!!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

While doing business I frequently eat out at the best restaurants in Boston and the surrounding area and have never been so compelled to write a review before my most recent visit to Blue Ginger.

Yes, the food and presentation is something that has been rightfully featured on many notable television cooking programs, but what I consider most important after the cuisine is service.

Our server Melissa was warm, welcoming, and professional. From beginning to end this dining experience was one of, if not the best that I've had in this area. I will be returning.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

I had lunch at Blue Ginger today. My expectations were high, given other reviews and friends' recommendations. I couldn't have been more disappointed: my steak salad was terrible. First: iceberg lettuce? I thought that was the "choice" offered in the 1950s. But in 2014? And I'm not talking Boston lettuce--but the utterly tasteless kind that... isn't worthy of a fine restaurant. And then: the steak: tough, overdone, again tasteless. And, to add insult to injury: a gloppy dressing, back to the '50s again--and way too much of it.

1  Thank intensehappytraveler