“Mother's Day Weekend”
Review of High Pointe Inn

High Pointe Inn
Reviewed 12 May 2013

We just returned from Mother's Day weekend on the Cape. The High Pointe Inn was the high point of everyday. It is run by two warm and charming people. They were always ready to assist us. We stayed in the Sea Dreams room with an excellent view - you felt you were in the trees - and in the distance a glimpse of Cape Cod Bay. The room was spacious and the bathroom! - I wish I had seen it prior to our own bathroom remodel. The High Pointe Inn is in West Barnstable just off 6A.
We try to go to the Cape on Mother's Day weekend every year - and this B&B was one of the best we visited. The Inn is impeccable both inside and out.
Thank you Debbie & Rich for a great stay.
Kate P.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
InnloverCapeCod, Owner at High Pointe Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2013

Thank you so much for your lovely review of our property. Rich and I really enjoyed meeting you both and are so glad you enjoyed your stay. We wish the weather could have been a little nicer for you, but we're glad that it didn't stop you from getting out and enjoying Cape Cod. Happy Mother's Day, again and enjoy your summer.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

A very romantic hideaway that made our short stay in the cape wonderful. Hosts, house and hospitality all fabulous. The log fire in our room took the chill off the early spring air and made us feel very much at home. Thank you!

Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Sarah W
Reviewed 23 December 2012

My wife and I stayed at the High Pointe Inn and could not have been more pleased with the entire stay. We have stayed at some tremendous B & Bs over the last few years and I can unequivocally state that this place sits at the top of the list. The Inn itself is beautiful, comfortable and easy to picture yourself spending a long-stay in. Our room was perfect. It had a wood burning fireplace, large bathroom, incredibly comfortable bed and more than enough room. The innkeepers (Debbie and Rich) did not miss a beat. The breakfast was simply amazing. The french toast and belgian waffles were so good my wife and I were talking about them 3 days after we left. It's a first class place but minus the stuffiness you sometimes get in those places. You feel at home the second you walk in and you never lose that feeling. Debbie and Rich did a great job on the house and an incredible job on the breakfast but what they provide in their kindness and good humor is more important than either of those. When you leave the High Pointe Inn you will be full, well-rested and thinking about when you can make a return trip. The many awards they have won are well-deserved. It's perfect.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
InnloverCapeCod, Owner at High Pointe Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 December 2012

What a wonderful review to wake up to on Christmas day! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at the High Pointe Inn with others here on Tripadvisor. Rich and I love meeting new people and sharing laughter with them over the breakfast table. It is clear to us that you two bring your own good time with you wherever you go and we are so very glad that you chose to stay with us. We certainly hope to see you both soon and wish you health and happiness throughout the year.

Warmly,

Debbie and Rich

Reviewed 25 October 2012

Earlier this year my wife and I spent a Great Weekend on Cape Cod at the High Pointe Inn. Before winter settled in, we decided to head back to the Cape for a mid week get away. There was no question in our mind where to stay. Our earlier visit to the High Pointe was such a pleasurable experience that we quickly made reservations again. We certainly were not disappointed. From check in to check out Rich and Debbie attended to our every need. They were more than helpful when we were looking for place to hike on the Cape, or to use our bikes. They pointed us to the Shining Sea bike path, and recommended a great restaurant in Woods Hole for lunch. As with our earlier visit Rich was very accommodating to my needs for Gluten Free. He made sure there were breakfast selections for me as we'll as afternoon snacks that were Gluten Free. If you are planning a trio to Cape Cod this is the place to go.

Room Tip: I really prefer the Suite as it gives you a lot of room and a private entrance to come and go.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
InnloverCapeCod, Owner at High Pointe Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2012

We love Cape Cod in Fall and are always delighted to share our favorite spots with our guests. So glad you enjoyed your return stay with us and our favorite little lunch spot in Woods Hole. Rich has been having fun trying new gluten-free recipes for guests who require them. With all the new gluten free products on the market there's no need to go without fresh bread and muffins in the morning or an afternoon sweet treat. Hope to see you here again soon.

Reviewed 3 October 2012

This is a very good spacious inn which is well appointed.
The rooms are very comfortable.
All aspects of the service provided by Debbie and Rich is friendly and professional.
From booking through to arrival we received prompt replies to enquiries.
I had an issue with my hire car and immediately on arrival Debbie helped me get it sorted.
During our stay Rich and Debbie had to deal with a crisis for other guests which it would be inappropriate to detail but would have justified cancellation of the breakfast service. They nevertheless continued the service at the highest standard.
The food was never short of excellent.
We had no difficulty in contacting them when required.
Rich and Debbie were never less than charming and clearly enjoyed chatting with guests.
The inn is properly and accurately advertised on the website.
The mark for location in no way reflects the quality of the inn, merely the fact that it is necessary to drive to get any place of interest.
Debbie and Rich know the proprietors of the excellent Foxfield Inn in Charlottesville,VA. The properties are comparable in many ways.

Room Tip: Treetops suite is excellent
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank acontributor
InnloverCapeCod, Owner at High Pointe Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2012

Thank you so much for your kind words. We so enjoyed meeting you both and sharing travel stories. Your advice on our upcoming European trip is greatly appreciated. And thank you for your patience and understanding as we dealt with our "emergency". We hope your trip home was a safe one, and that if your plans call for a trip to Cape Cod in the future that you will grace our Inn with your positive outlook and decidedly good humor again. All the best, Debbie and Rich

Reviewed 2 October 2012

My wife and I are seasoned travelers, but relatively new to B&B’s. That being said, we have had wonderful stays at charming B&B’s in Estes Park, CO; Kennebunkport, ME; Charleston, SC, Washington, GA; and, Savannah, GA. Unfortunately, for us, the High Pointe Inn did not meet the same standards as the B&B’s from our previous experiences. High Pointe IS NOT charming. It is a 60’s style small home that has been converted to an Inn. Although clean, its appointments are bare. The floor covering that was in our room can best be likened to that which you find in a commercial office. Thin and made for traffic. The photos of the rooms on tripadvisor are misleading. Intended to present charm and appeal when in fact they are just plain. The owners, Rich and Debbie, are friendly but in a formal way. We did not find them warm or hospitable. Upon arriving at High Pointe, Rich asked if I “needed help” in taking our bags up to our room, rather than grabbing a bag and helping. The sincerity just wasn’t there. The night before our departure, I had difficulty printing our boarding passes from the guest computer so I buzzed Rich on the house phone to see if he had any ideas (this was the first and only time during our stay I attempted to reach him). He didn’t answer so I left a message that I wasn’t able to print my passes. (I am an engineer and adept at computers so was eventually able to solve the problem on my own.) The next morning I went down to the kitchen where Rich and Debbie were preparing breakfast, to let them know I had worked the problem out. When I knocked on the kitchen door and poked my head in it was quite awkward. I was made to feel like I had intruded into their private space. Debbie was more interested in settling my bill before I left the Inn, than concerned that I hadn’t been able to print our passes (in fact, she or Rich never asked about my previous night’s problem, I had to bring it up). On the positive side, the breakfasts were very good and our fellow travelers were delightful. That the High Pointe Inn is rated so high and has received awards is a mystery to me. It doesn’t come close to others that have received tripadvisor’s highest rating.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank boatspapa

Let me start by thanking you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. When guests offer constructive criticism, caring innkeepers can make adjustments to suit the needs of our guests. We are disappointed that the quality of our accommodations and services did not meet your standards and sincerely apologize for not being at the Inn when you needed assistance with our printer. We were attending a charity event in support of our grandson’s pre-school. Whenever we leave the Inn we put a sign on the registration desk alerting our guests that we are out and leaving our cell phone number so that they can reach us in an emergency. Your message was left on our house phone and we did not retrieve the message until we returned to the Inn after 10PM, when we thought it best not to disturb you. We hoped to fix the problem with the printer before you came to breakfast in the in the morning, however you beat us to the punch. Thank you for sorting it out for us.

We value your opinion and take your comments to heart. However, we do want our future guests to know that our Inn was built in 1989 by local hoteliers as a traditional Cape Cod style home that was designed specifically to be a small, luxury inn catering to a discerning clientele. In our nine years as innkeepers here, we have remodeled every room in the Inn to the highest standards, along with the exterior and grounds. The photos on our website are genuine, taken by a professional photographer to capture an accurate picture of what we offer; some of the ones on trip advisor were taken by previous guests. Many of our guests tell us that the photos do not do the Inn justice, as they find the rooms more beautiful than they were expecting. We cherish all of the awards we have earned by providing quality accommodations and excellent customer service and trust that the trip advisor reviews and ratings other guests have given the Inn will serve our future guests well. We truly love what we do and hope that our guests appreciate our efforts to make each and every stay special. We hope to continue that tradition for many years to come.

Respectfully, Debbie and Rich Howard, Innkeepers

Reviewed 4 September 2012

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights in the Treetops Suite. The suite has absolutely everything you could need and was huge! There are French doors that lead out onto the deck area, which was a lovely relaxing and quiet place to sit in the evening. Debbie and Rich have provided a wonderful binder full of ideas of what to see and do, restaurant recommendations, suggested itineraries etc.

Breakfast was served in the main house, and was absolutely AMAZING! Whilst initially, we were a little disappointed that we couldn't have breakfast out on the deck area (incredibly hot when we were there), we very much enjoyed eating with the other guests in the main house, we met such a variety of interesting people. A fantastic menu and daily specials, were all cooked to order by Rich. Presentation and taste would rival any 5 star restaurant in my opinion. Tea, coffee, hot choc and delicious brownies were available later on in the day, all laid out, ready for you to help yourself.

Located about 10 minutes from town, but very close to lots of little restaurants and lovely to come back after a day out to such a relaxing environment.

I would highly recommend this B&B, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
InnloverCapeCod, Owner at High Pointe Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2012

Emma,

It was a pleasure to have you here at the Inn and we do hope you will be back soon. Thank you for your kind words. After 14 years of innkeeping, it's nice to know our guests still like what we have to offer.

All the best, Debbie and Rich

#2 of 9 in Chatham
Lamb and Lion Inn
Lamb and Lion Inn
#2 of 6 in Barnstable

Been to High Pointe Inn? Share your experiences!